Oban Camanachd retains Celtic Society Cup

The victorious Oban Camanachd team. Kyles Athletic v Oban Camanachd in the Glasgow Celtic Society Cup Final, played at Taynuilt.

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now
Oban captain Daniel Cameron lifts the Glasgow Celtic Society Cup. Kyles Athletic v Oban Camanachd in the Glasgow Celtic Society Cup Final, played at Taynuilt.
Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup – final
Kyles Athletic 1
Oban Camanachd 2
(after extra-time)

Oban Camanachd retained the Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup, beating Kyles Athletic 2-1 in the final at the Taynuilt Sports Field.
Both teams were without important players for this 4.05pm throw up.

Robbie MacLeod missed out for Kyles as he served the second game of a two-match suspension. Grant Irvine didn’t make an appearance and former Newtonmore player Paul MacArthur was looking to win a clean sweep of senior medals.

Oban Camanachd manager Stephen Sloss pictured with his sons Daniel and Matthew along with his nephew Ross Campbell. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn.

Meantime Daniel MacCuish, who has become a key player for Oban Camanachd this term, was sidelined with a broken thumb.

The pitch had been like a bowling green the previous evening but was swamped by heavy showers ahead of throw up which made for tricky conditions with the surface sticky and splashy in places.

After successive wins over Kyles Athletic in their two previous matches, Oban Camanachd manager Stephen Sloss acknowledged that his side were going into the final as slight favourites and they could hardly have got off to a better start.

Aidan MacIntyre’s free from just outside the centre circle was cleared by Callum Miller but only as far as Daniel MacVicar who played the ball short to Daniel Cameron. Cameron’s back-hand strike on goal was saved with an outstretched right foot by Kyles keeper John Whyte but Andrew MacCuish got in ahead of Callum Miller to slot the rebound home from inside the D and the Oban side led 1-0 with only 25 seconds on the clock.

Scott MacMillan, Oban Camanachd, won man of the match and received the Donnie MacNiven medal. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn

The Oban Camanachd midfield of Scott MacMillan, Lorne Dickie and Aidan MacIntyre took an early grip of the midfield and Willie Neilson flashed a snap-shot just by the post.

Before play restarted, Aidan MacIntyre needed treatment for a calf problem which had been a concern in recent games but he was able to continue.
Andrew MacCuish had a chance from Scott MacMillan’s corner on the right on 16 minutes. The ball evaded Callum Miller but MacCuish sliced his back-hand effort from the left of the D and the ball went well wide of goal.
Roddy Macdonald, policed by Daniel Sloss, didn’t see much of the ball in the early stages and he jinked to make space on the left but his low effort, following Paul MacArthur’s free-hit, went across the goal and wide of the far post.

Kyles were now coming more into the final and when Roddy Macdonald ran onto Thomas Whyte’s pass and played a low diagonal ball across the D, Oban Camanachd keeper Cameron Sutherland did well to come off his line to foil Ross MacRae.

Kyles had a great chance to draw level on 22 minutes when referee John Angus Gillies awarded them a penalty. Ross MacRae’s low shot was saved by Cameron Sutherland but Oban Camanachd couldn’t get the rebound away. In the scramble that ensued, Roddy Macdonald went down as he ran away from goal and the referee pointed to the spot. Thomas Whyte took the penalty and he struck the ball well enough but keeper Sutherland made a magnificent save to his left with his stick to keep his side in front.

Oban Camanachd went back on the offensive and Kyles defender Neil MacVicar had to help out John Whyte as Andrew MacCuish prevented him clearing away Willie Neilson’s bouncing effort and Daniel Cameron’s shot from the resulting corner rose just over the bar.

Daniel Madej put in a perfectly timed challenge to dispossess Colin MacDonald as he broke down the left before Malcolm Clark was next to halt the Kyles skipper with another good tackle.

At the other end, John Whyte saved with his feet, low by his right post, to keep out a Scott MacMillan back-hand strike in what was the final chance of the first half.

George Thomson took over from Innes Macdonald at half-time in the Kyles centre line.

Whereas Oban Camanachd started strongly in the first half, it was Kyles who were quick out of the blocks from the restart. First Cameron Sutherland blocked Roddy Macdonald’s strike from the right of the D following Paul MacArthur’s long free-hit from the right. But from Paul Macarthur’s corner from the right, Roddy Macdonald took the ball down and, as he was falling forward, he steered it past the keeper to make it 1-1 with 47 minutes gone.

Kyles now had their tails up and Cameron Sutherland saved with his feet as Thomas Whyte stabbed an effort forward. The Kyles defence had to work hard to defend the resultant corner with Garry Lord and Daniel Sloss staying tight on their opponents.

Both sides made changes as Conor Kennedy came on for the injured Colin MacDonald for Kyles whilst Oban Camanachd sent Blair MacFarlane on for Aidan MacIntyre.

Andrew MacCuish allowed a diagonal ball from Daniel Cameron to run across his body before sending his effort from the left wide of the far post as the final approached the hour mark.

Oban Camanachd were dominating again and they almost went back in front when Willie Neilson’s low snap-shot from distance came off keeper Whyte’s left post.

A ferocious shot from Blair MacFarlane hit Callum Miller on the side of the head but he was able to play on following treatment although he did go up front shortly after with Roddy Macdonald dropping back into defence with 20 minutes remaining.

The teams exchanged chances as Andrew MacCuish sent a drive by the right post before Callum Miller found George Thomson, who dragged his shot wide of the keeper’s left post.

John Whyte had to come quickly off his line as Andrew MacCuish scooped a free into the danger area and George Thomson saw his shot deflected away to safety by Malcolm Clark.

Willie Neilson and Andrew ‘Papa’ MacCuish celebrate MacCuish scoring the winner in the Celtic Society Cup final. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn

Oban Camanachd made their second change as Ross Campbell replaced Willie Neilson with eight minutes to go.

Oban Camanachd finished strongly and referee John Angus Gillies flashed the first yellow card of the final on 85 minutes when Rupert Williamson chopped down Daniel MacVicar, who was on a dangerous run, cutting in from the left.

Andrew MacCuish’s shot from the left came off John Whyte’s heel although the goalie knew little about it and Daniel MacVicar went close soon after, under pressure from Andrew King, following a mazy run.
Innes Macdonald came back on with a limping Rupert Williamson departing.

Oban Camanachd continued to press and they could have won it at the death as MacCuish played in MacVicar but he couldn’t get a shot on target.
Roddy Macdonald was key at the back as Kyles weathered the storm and the Tighnabruaich men finished the match with a late flurry with Oban defender Garry Lord taking charge and Malcolm Clark booked for a late swing at Conor Kennedy, right on the final whistle.

It would now take extra-time to find a winner.

John Whyte came quickly off line to get a ball into the D before Andrew MacCuish, whilst a long ball forward from Thomas Whyte wasn’t dealt with by the Oban defence and Cameron Sutherland made a stunning reaction save from Conner Kennedy but offside was given. Malcolm Clark came off for Craig Easton, who was a late addition to the Oban Camanachd squad after Keith MacMillan was unable to get away from work on Saturday morning.

The final now swung Kyles’ way and they forced a couple of corners.
Callum Miller went down with a hamstring injury as the first half of extra-time closed and Colin MacDonald returned to the field of play.

Kyles player/manager Dunky Kerr came on for Ross MacRae for the second half of extra-time.

Cramp and injury was affecting a number of players but not Daniel Cameron who tried hard to get away from Roddy Macdonald and his back-hand drive went close.

There were now just 10 minutes remaining and Oban Camanachd looked the stronger of the two sides.

Scott MacMillan collected a yellow card for dissent and the winning goal came with just a couple of minutes remaining.

‘Papa’ with the trophy. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn

Andrew MacCuish scored both goals when Iain Hay’s Oban Camanachd side took the trophy last year, their first senior success since 2005, and he was the match-winner once more. Daniel MacVicar did really well to keep the ball in play wide on the left and Daniel Cameron turned Roddy Macdonald before slipping the ball inside to Andrew MacCuish in a central position and his deadly finish on his left side beat the keeper low to his left to make it 2-1.

Oban finished the contest on the attack and Daniel Cameron drew a late foul in the corner on the Oban left. However, there was just enough time for Daniel Sloss to break up one last Kyles foray up the field before referee John Angus Gillies, who was in control throughout, sounded the final whistle and he was given the coveted Jack Asher memorial whistle afterwards.

Scott MacMillan worked tirelessly throughout the final, supplying good ball from the right side, and he was awarded the Duncan J McNiven memorial medal as man of the match.

Oban Camanachd captain Daniel Cameron stepped forward, for the second successive season, to collect the Glasgow Celtic Society Cup from Donald Fletcher from the society and sponsors Scottish Sea Farms.

Oban Camanachd manager Stephen Sloss was delighted afterwards. He said: ‘It was a tough game and both sides had chances but I felt we were the fitter team and we showed that by scoring near the end and that’s the boys’ reward for training hard every week.

‘One of the most pleasing aspects is the number of young players that featured in the final. Ross Campbell (15), Blair MacFarlane (16), Daniel Sloss (16), Cameron Sutherland (19), Craig Easton (19) and Daniel MacVicar (20) can all be involved for many years to come.

‘We’ve now beaten Kyles three times in a row and it’s been a while since that’s happened. We have younger lads in the side who have been used to winning these games since they were playing at primary school age so there are no mental blocks to overcome.

Oban Camanachd assistant manager Kenny Wotherspoon with his children Millie and Fraser. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn

‘We have seen dominant teams in the Celtic society over the years and it was important for us to retain the trophy. This was a big step for Oban Camanachd as it sends out a message to our rivals.’

Artemis Macaulay Cup – quarter finals
Lovat 1
Newtonmore 2

Lovat and Newtonmore met for the third time this month and the fourth time this season in a 3pm throw up at Balgate.

’More took the lead through Iain Robinson on 28 minutes. The ball was played out to the right corner to Evan Menzies, who spotted Robinson’s run and the youngster sent the ball low into the net from the edge of the box.

Lovat levelled on the stroke of half-time. Calum MacAulay picked out Lorne MacKay in space and he ran forward. Rory Kennedy looked to clear but was caught out by MacLachlan who won possession before scoring to make it 1-1 at the break.

It was end-to-end in the first half with ’More keeper Kenny Ross having to make the bigger saves.

Newtonmore regained the lead four minutes into the second half. Fraser Heath played a free-hit forward from the right of the Lovat defence but the home forwards couldn’t keep possession and the ball was played straight back upfield to Iain Robinson, who hit a waist-high shot on the run which gave keeper Stuart MacDonald no chance.

Raymond Rennie went close to a leveller with a spectacular effort.

Kingussie 4
Caberfeidh 3
(after extra-time)

Kingussie will meet neighbours Newtonmore in the Artemis Macaulay Cup semi-finals after they edged out Caberfeidh 4-3 after extra-time in their 3pm throw up at the Dell.

This tie remained in the balance throughout two exhilarating hours of shinty. Savio Genini put the Kings ahead on 12 minutes and they stayed in front until a minute from time when Ally MacLennan levelled.

Kevin Bartlett gave Cabers the lead six minutes into extra-time but Ruaridh Anderson made it 2-2 just a couple of minutes later.

Cabers regained the advantage when Craig Morrison scored a minute after only for Liam Borthwick to make it 3-3 on 115 minutes.

The tie was just a minute away from a penalty shoot-out when Savio Genini got his second to give the Kings a thrilling 4-3 victory.

Mowi Premiership
Kilmallie 1
Lochaber 3

Lochaber moved out of the relegation zone after beating Kilmallie 3-1 at the Canal Parks.

Ben Delaney put Lochaber ahead on 26 minutes and Findlay MacDonald added a second on 34 minutes.

Liam MacDonald pulled a goal back five minutes before the break but Ben Delaney got his second to make it 3-1 on 71 minutes.

Kinlochshiel 0
Inveraray 2

Inveraray boosted their chances of beating the drop when they won for the second successive match; beating Kinlochshiel 2-0 in their 1pm throw up at Kirkton.

’Shiel manager Johnston Gill had Scott Kennedy back in goal. John MacRae was passed fit to start whilst Jordan Fraser started on the bench. Keith MacRae was also listed amongst the reserves but didn’t feature.

Inveraray boss Ruaraidh Graham travelled north with his usual squad.
There was a minute’s silence ahead of throw up to mark the passing of former ’Shiel player Innes MacRae.

Connor Howe gave Inveraray the lead on 35 minutes and Alan MacDonald added a second a couple of minutes later.

Mowi National Division
Bute 1
Oban Celtic 4

Oban Celtic recovered from the loss of an early goal to beat Bute 4-1 in their 2.30pm throw up at the Meadows,

With their colt teams meeting at the same venue earlier in the day, this match was part of a double-header.

Bute’s Iain McDonald was banned but Scott Harvey was free of his one-game suspension. Young Stewart Stirling was excellent in the Bute goal in place of Kevin Queen.

Oban Celtic travelled without Ally McKerracher, Michael MacKinnon, Lewis Mcphee and Rory Bruce, who is likely to miss the remainder of the season with the recurrence of a shoulder injury.

Bute took the lead from a corner on seven minutes. Craig MacMillan slipped on the greasy surface as he went for the ball and Leon McMillan took advantage as he ran to the front post before sending the ball first-time into the net.

Ross MacMillan sent two efforts over the bar before he equalised on 37 minutes. The ball was played forward from defence and MacMillan beat his man before shooting low and hard into the net.

Daniel MacMillan put the visitors ahead five minutes before the break. The ball was played up from the wing to Lennon Campbell, whose hold-up play was a feature of the game, and held possession up before playing the ball to the side to Daniel MacMillan who got away from his marker and he took a touch before striking the ball low into the net.

Oban Celtic continued where they had left off after the restart; Daniel MacMillan got his second on 65 minutes. The ball was sent up to Andy MacDonald who played it across to Lennon Campbell and Daniel MacMillan made a run before hitting a 25-yard shot into the roof of the net to make it 3-1.

When Jamie Anderson sent a corner from the right to the back post on 78 minutes, Daniel MacMillan stole in ahead of his marker and he rifled a 25-yard shot into the roof of the net to complete his hat-trick, notching the goal of the game into the bargain.

Oban Celtic had a late claim for a penalty when Ross MacMillan got past two players as he cut inside. MacMillan seemed to be taken down late inside the D but referee David Mitchell waved away the pleas.

Speaking afterwards, Oban Celtic assistant manager Les Kinvig said: ‘It was a good win and we scored some good goals.

‘We have Glasgow Mid Argyll at Mossfield this Saturday and these are the games you play to test yourself.

‘Mark Bain is their manager and he’s a good player also. Of course we know him from his time at Oban Celtic, many moons ago.
‘It was a boost to have Andy MacDonald back after injury this week and hopefully Michael MacKinnon and Lewis Mcphee will be back for the GMA match.’

Fort William 7
Beauly 0

The Fort William juggernaut continued apace as Victor Smith’s men maintained their 100 per cent league record, winning for the ninth successive league match, as they defeated fourth-placed Beauly 7-0 at An Aird.

Lewis Morrison gave the Fort a seven-minute lead and Lewis Clark made it 2-0 on 12 minutes.

Arran MacPhee on 35 minutes and Lewis Morrison on 39 and 41 minutes, completing his hat-trick, made it 5-0 at the break.

Arran MacPhee went on to complete his hat-trick with second half goals on 55 and 62 minutes to make it 7-0.

Strathglass 0
Glenurquhart 5

The derby between Strathglass and Glenurquhart at Cannich was brought forward to Friday June 28 with a 7pm throw up.

James MacPherson scored four times and Connor Golabek got the other in the Glen’s 5-0 win.

Glasgow Mid Argyll 3
Skye Camanachd 1

Glasgow Mid Argyll came from a goal down to beat Skye Camanachd 3-1 at Yoker.

Jordan Murchison gave Skye the lead with a penalty after four minutes but GMA player/manager Mark Bain made the difference as his hat-trick of goals on 7, 34 and 76 minutes gave the hosts a 3-1 win.

Strathdearn Cup
– quarter finals
Boleskine 1
Kilmallie 3

The Kilmallie second team won for the fifth successive match, beating Boleskine 3-1 at Smith Park.
Ross MacKenzie gave Kilmallie a 2-0 interval cushion with goals on 18 and 45 minutes.

Sandy Fraser pulled a goal back on the hour but, when referee Brian MacKay awarded the visitors a penalty a couple of minutes from time, Ben MacKinnon converted from the spot.

Kingussie 3
Fort William 3
(after extra-time – Fort William won 2-0 on penalties)

It took penalties to separate the Kingussie and Fort William seconds in their noon throw up at the Dell.

Michael Slimon put the Kings ahead on 17 minutes but Donnie Walker levelled a minute later.

Eoin Baikie put the Kings back in front on 23 minutes but Cal Brown drew the Fort level for a second time just three minutes later.
Kingussie took the lead for a third time through Jordan Reid on 96 minutes but Scott Knox made it 3-3 on 109 minutes.

With no further scoring in this entertaining encounter, referee Callum Duff took the tie to an extra-time period.

When the additional 30 minutes failed to produce a winner, the outcome was decided via a penalty shoot-out.

Donnie Walker and Cal Brown converted their spot-hits to give Fort William a 2-0 shoot-out triumph.

Elsewhere, the Newtonmore and Glenurquhart teams also reached the semi finals.

Mowi North Division 1
Caberfeidh 0
Inverness 1

The Inverness first team beat the Caberfeidh colts 1-0 at Castle Leod.
Drew McNeil scored the only goal of the game after 38 minutes.

Mowi South Division 1
Inveraray 3
Ballachulish 3

Ballachulish came from behind to draw 3-3 with the Inveraray seconds in their 1pm throw up at the Winterton.

A good start from Inveraray saw them take the lead after a minute when neat play up front saw Campbell Watt go through on goal and he dribbled forward before slotting the ball past the keeper from close range.

Inveraray extended their lead on 25 minutes through Campbell Watt again as he struck the ball from the edge of the D, low and hard into the bottom right to make it 2-0. Ballachulish then began to apply plenty of pressure and they pulled a goal back with five minutes remaining of the first half with the goal coming from Duncan MacDonald.

A well-worked corner on 50 minutes saw Ballachulish score again. A short corner found Conner MacGregor, who hit a flowing shot into the back of the net and that goal drew Ballachulish level.

The game was not level for long though as, on 56 minutes, Campbell Watt completed his hat-trick with his shot from distance finding the bottom left corner of the goal to put Inveraray ahead once again.

However, with 10 minutes remaining, Dougie Rankin got Ballachulish back level as he got on the end of a shy into the D which the Inveraray defence failed to deal with and he half-volleyed the ball past the keeper to make it 3-3.

Mowi North Division 2
Strathglass 4
Lochcarron 6

League leaders Lochcarron were back in action and five-goal Gregor Cushnie helped them beat the Strathglass second team 6-4 at Cannich.
Elsewhere, second placed Strathspey lost 2-0 against third placed Beauly seconds at Braeview Park with Rory Tuach scoring both.

Mowi South Division 2
Bute 0
Oban Celtic 0

The Bute seconds and the Oban Celtic seconds drew 0-0 in their noon throw up at the Meadows.

This was a good game and both sides were mainly made up from promising youngsters with a few older heads thrown in. Oban Celtic dominated the final half hour but just missed that bit of composure in front of goal.

WCA round up
Mowi National Division
Badenoch 3
Skye Camanachd 4

The much-anticipated second meeting of the season between Badenoch and Skye Camanachd took place at the Dell.

Badenoch were 2-1 winners when the sides met in Portree on the opening day of the season but Skye turned the tables with a 4-3 victory in this one.
Skye led 3-0 at the break before seeing off a second half Badenoch fight-back.

Megan Ralph, Zoe Reid and Kirsty Deans scored for the hosts with Sarah Corrigall’s brace and strikes from Lorna MacRae and Emma Gordon giving Skye the win they needed.

Lochaber 3
Aberdour 2

Lochaber beat Aberdour 3-2 at Spean Bridge. Kirsty Delaney, Mairi Duncan and Caitlin MacDonald got the Lochaber goals.

Ardnamurchan 3
Glenurquhart 3

Ardnamurchan drew 3-3 with Glenurquhart in their noon throw up at the astro pitch in Strontian.

Glasgow Mid Argyll 3
Strathspey 1

Glasgow Mid Argyll beat Strathspey 3-1 in their 1.30pm throw up at Yoker.