Pint thrower warned about custodial sentence

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Pub CCTV footage of a man striking a woman’s head on a plate in front of her was ‘no joke’, a court has heard.

When police spoke to the woman she told officers Lee Frame, of 26 Lammerview, Tranent, Edinburgh was ‘just kidding’.

But Oban Sheriff Court was told last week that police who watched the incident on the CCTV were of the opinion it was no joke at all.

Frame, 36, and who works as a project manager, admitted assaulting the friend by seizing her by her hair and striking her head on a plate on a table at the bar on May 12 this year.

He also admitted throwing a pint glass behind another bar in the town earlier that night, smashing the glass and a number of bottles fixed to optics putting staff and other members of the public at risk of injury.

The court heard how Frame had approached the bar connected with the earlier incident to find out why his food order was delayed, a bar worker had already had to speak to him about his behaviour.

After Frame was asked to leave the pub, a witness at the second bar alerted staff to Frame grabbing a woman he was sitting with by the back of the head and smashing her face into a plate in front of her, said procurator fiscal Eoin McGinty.

Staff contacted police who spoke to Frame and to the woman who said the accused was ‘just kidding’.

‘Police who saw the CCTV were of the opinion it was no joke,’ said Mr McGinty.

The court heard the woman had remained uncooperative but maintained she was not in a relationship with him. The court heard Frame supports a wife and a child.

Frame’s solicitor Andrew Houston said his client and the woman had drunk a pint of Bloody Mary each before being seated at a table at the first pub.

He said some time later Frame went up to the bar to express his dissatisfaction at the delay for food and  vented his frustration in ‘a rather idiotic manner’, describing it as ‘a very brief but ill-guided show of temper’.

Mr Houston also told the court no injury was caused to Frame’s friend at the second incident and she did not make a formal complaint. ‘It was another display of drunken petulance on his part. He is shamefaced about how he conducted himself that day,’ added Mr Houston.

Frame spent a night in custody to reflect on what had happened and has also made tentative inquiries about going on an anger management course, Mr Houston told the court.

Sheriff Patrick Hughes said: ‘These are serious matters. The court will consider a custodial sentence.’

Frame remained on bail for reports to be prepared for his next court appearance on July 31.