Shinty round-up

Kingussie’s Liam Borthwick keeps the ball from Callum Millar (Kyles). Kingussie v Kyles Athletic in the MOWI Premiership, played at The Dell, Kingussie.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now
Mowi Premiership

Inveraray 1
Oban Camanachd 4

Oban Camanachd continued their recent good form, defeating Inveraray 4-1 in their 1pm throw-up at the Winterton.

Inveraray were unfortunate not to take the lead in the opening minute. Fraser Watt’s pace took him clean through one-on-one with Oban Camanachd keeper Cameron Sutherland. Watt struck the ball well enough but Sutherland got a knee to the shot, deflecting it for a corner.

Fraser Watt had a half-chance from the corner but the Oban side got the ball away.

Oban Camanachd settled and took the lead after six minutes. Aiden MacIntyre floated the ball in from the left and Daniel MacCuish took a touch to his less favoured right side but still finished well to make it 1-0.

The visitors’ second goal came from the penalty spot on 23 minutes. Andrew MacCuish turned and ran at Robert Wood but was hacked down inside the ‘D’ by John Kennedy and MacTavish Cup Final referee Lachie wood pointed to the spot. Andrew MacCuish despatched a good penalty, low and hard to the keeper’s left to make it 2-0.

The Oban Camanachd midfield trio of Scott MacMillan, Lorn Dickie and Aidan MacIntyre were in command and Scott MacMillan sent a great ball to Andrew MacCuish on 27 minutes. MacCuish controlled the ball and turned before hammering a shot past keeper Scott MacLachlan’s out-stretched hand and into the net.

There were few clear-cut chances after the re-start.

Inveraray enjoyed their best period of the match around 10 minutes into the second half and their persistence paid off as they pulled a goal back on 53 minutes. Fraser Watt touched a free-hit to the side and, with the players all jostling for position, Allan MacDonald got a yard on his marker and bulleted an unstoppable shot into the top corner of the goal to make it 3-1.

Oban Camanachd lost Willie Neilson with around 15 minutes remaining when he suffered a gash below the mouth which later required stitches.
The visitors brought Blair MacFarlane on for Scott MacMillan and, on 83 minutes, MacFarlane sent a dangerous ball into the goal area where Daniel MacCuish was first to react to continue his good scoring run.

Aidan MacIntyre came off in favour of 15-year-old Ross Campbell with Daniel MacCuish dropping back to wing centre.

This was Oban Camanachd’s seventh successive win. They were due to face Kyles Athletic at Mossfield in the Artemis Macaulay Cup quarter finals last night (Wednesday June 12). The tie was rearranged at Kyles’ request and a big crowd was expected.

This was the first of three successive meetings between the sides.
Speaking after the match, Oban Camanachd assistant manager Kenny Wotherspoon said: ‘It was a good team performance as Inveraray are difficult opponents on their own field.

‘The results don’t lie and after a sluggish start to the season, when we lost some close games, the players have taken on board what we’re wanting to do and we are now on a good run.’

Kingussie 2
Kyles Athletic 1

League leaders Kingussie inflicted Kyles Athletic’s first defeat of the season, winning 2-1 at the Dell.

Kingussie took the lead on 12 minutes. Kyles didn’t deal with James Hutchison’s ball forward and James Falconer’s strike from the right came to Roddy Young at the edge of the box and he drove the ball low into the bottom corner of the net, beating keeper John Whyte on his right side from a central position.

Substitute Savio Genini made it 2-0 three minutes into the second half. A well-worked Ruaridh Anderson free-hit from the left of the ‘D’ was played outside to Genini and although he didn’t catch the ball as cleanly as he would have liked on his back-hand, it was on target and ended up in the bottom right corner of the net.

Robbie MacLeod halved the deficit on 64 minutes. Innes MacDonald played in a corner from the right, which was touched on, but keeper Rory MacGregor cleared his lines. However, the clearance came to Roddy Macdonald who chipped the ball forward from the left and MacLeod took the ball down before rifling it home on his left side.

Kingussie stayed in front to record what could yet be a notable victory.
Kingussie remain two points clear at the top of the table but they have played a game more than second placed Newtonmore. Whilst Kyles are five points off the pace, they have played at least two games fewer than all the teams above them.

Kilmallie 2
Newtonmore 3

Kilmallie and Newtonmore met for the fourth time this season in a 3pm throw-up at Canal Parks.

Newtonmore broke the deadlock on 36 minutes when Iain Robinson received the ball on the wing before cutting inside and making a long-range shot which found the back of the net for the only goal of the first half. It was Robinson again, this time on 63 minutes, who doubled the visitors’ tally.

This time Conor Jones floated a long ball in on goal. Kilmallie keeper Shane Gillies was unable to clear and the ball fell for Robinson inside the ‘D’ and he slipped it past the keeper.

Iain Robinson turned supplier for Newtonmore’s third goal on 68 minutes.
The ball was played down the line to Robinson who played a simple pass across to Ewen Fraser who blasted a powerful shot by a helpless keeper from an acute angle to make it 3-0.

Kilmallie’s response was swift and Liam Cameron pulled a goal back a minute later.

Innes Blackhall made it 3-2 on 90 minutes, but Newtonmore took both points.

Action from the Mowi Premiership match between Kilmallie and Newtonmore at Canal Parks which Newtonmore won 3-2. Photograph: Abrightside Photography.

Kinlochshiel 1
Lovat 0

John MacRae again made the difference as Kinlochshiel moved into the top half of the table after beating Lovat 1-0 at Kirkton. A road accident at Drumnadrochit meant throw-up was delayed to 3.10pm.

Kinlochshiel made the breakthrough on 27 minutes.

Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae pushed the ball away from a Lovat attack to Donald Nixon who went on a run before sending the ball to the right.

John MacRae battled to get to the ball and although his initial effort was parried by Stuart MacDonald, the Scotland forward flicked the rebound into the net from a central position at the edge of the ‘D’.

The first half was played in sunshine but, with dark clouds making their way west throughout the first half, the heavens opened during half-time, drenching the players and supporters.

The inclement conditions continued throughout the second half, making it difficult for both sides.

Lovat, now shooting down the hill, enjoyed periods of pressure but were guilty of bunching on an already tight pitch.

Kinlochshiel finished the match on the attack and might well have doubled their lead by the end.

Caberfeidh 8
Lochaber 1

Caberfeidh recorded an emphatic 8-1 victory over Lochaber in their relegation battle at Castle Leod.

Throw-up was brought forward to 12.30pm and the hosts were missing the injured Gavin Mclauchlan.

Lochaber’s Danny Delany was free of suspension and although Ryan Johnstone was free to play, he misses Kinlochshiel’s visit to Spean Bridge this Saturday for a disciplinary points accumulation.

Lochaber scored first with Stuart Callison finding the net on four minutes but a 13th minute Kevin Bartlett goal drew Caberfeidh level.

Caberfeidh went in front for the first time in the match when Kevin Bartlett got his second on the half-hour and Craig Morrison struck a quick-fire double on 40 and 42 minutes to make it 4-1 at the interval.

Jamie MacKintosh on 53 minutes and a hat-trick goal from Kevin Bartlett a couple of minutes later put Caberfeidh out of sight.

Craig Morrison got his eleventh goal over the last four games when he completed his hat-trick on 67 minutes to make it 8-1.

Caberfeidh now go a point above Lochaber in the league with a game in hand.

Kilmallie and Inveraray remain just below them in the relegation zone.

Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup quarter finals

Bute 0
Fort William 6

Fort William are through to the Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup semi finals after beating Bute 6-0 at the Meadows.

Alexander MacMillan gave Fort William the lead on 35 minutes with the only goal of the first half.

Fort William went on to score four times in a devastating seven-minute spell.

Arran MacPhee made it 2-0 five minutes into the second period and Jack Fraser added a third a couple of minutes later.

Lachie Shaw on 54 minutes and Victor Smith on 57 minutes made it 5-0 before Jack Fraser got his second with three minutes remaining.

Taynuilt 0
Glasgow Mid Argyll 4

Glasgow Mid Argyll sealed a semi final spot with a 4-0 victory over Taynuilt at Taynuilt Sports Field.

Garry Luke powered home a cut-back on 15 minutes to put GMA ahead. Taynuilt came back at their opponents but were unable to turn their pressure into goals.

Iain Luke made it 2-0 on 36 minutes. Taynuilt keeper Brian Logan made an initial save from Duncan MacRae’s shot, but Luke closed down his attempted clearance and the ball ended up in the net.
Calum McLay added a third on 57 minutes with a great strike from outside the ‘D’.

Taynuilt’s Jamie MacFarlane was sent off shortly after by referee Deek Cameron for lashing out after being fouled.

Calum McLay found space outside the ‘D’ to make it 4-0 on 77 minutes.
Craig Anderson had a fine game for GMA in the unfamiliar role of half back and the Glasgow side now face Strathglass in the semi finals.

Mowi National Division

Beauly 1
Glenurquhart 2

Glenurquhart bounced back from their loss to Oban Camanachd the previous week when they beat Beauly 2-1 at Braeview Park.

Glenurquhart had to come from behind to win this one as Jack MacDonald gave the hosts the lead on 15 minutes.

But Neale Reid drew Glenurquhart level 60 seconds later.

Conor Golabek got the winner on 39 minutes.

Glenurquhart, who perhaps had one eye on this Saturday’s MacTavish Cup Final against Newtonmore, now trail league leaders Fort William by three points with a game in hand.

Strathglass 1
Skye Camanachd 5

Skye Camanachd go third in the division after beating Strathglass 5-1 in their 3pm throw-up at Cannich.

The islanders took the lead on two minutes when Stewart Grant won possession on the left wing and picked out Ross Gordon who played the ball first time to John Gillies. Gillies took a touch before slamming the ball past the keeper to make it 1-0.

Ross Gordon added his name to the scoresheet on 19 minutes when he played a one-two with John Gillies before firing home from 18 yards, beating the keeper on his left side.

Strathglass pulled a goal back against the run of play on 25 minutes. Skye failed to clear their lines and, from 25 yards, Darren Reid struck an unstoppable back-hand shot that nestled in the keeper’s top right corner of the net.

Strathglass had the chance to draw level with three first half minutes remaining. Steven Hyslop ran towards goal, pushing the ball past keeper Ryan Morrison but he was taken down and referee John Wood pointed to the spot. Lewis Douglas stepped up to take the penalty but didn’t strike the ball cleanly and Ryan Morrison saved before hitting the ball away to safety.
Worse was to follow for Douglas as he was sent off on the stroke of half-time for lashing out at Skye defender James Morrison.

John Gillies got his second and Skye’s third goal three minutes after the re-start. Stewart Grant crossed to Ross MacKinnon who passed to John Gillies and he got by his marker before beating the keeper from the left of the ‘D’.
John Gillies made a good run from buckshee forward, getting past a few players, but just as he was about to shoot, his marker cleared the ball for a corner.

Daniel Morrison took the resultant corner from the left and found Ross Gordon at the back of the ‘D’. Gordon took the ball down before sending a blistering drive over the keeper to make it 4-1 with 59 minutes gone.

Ross Gordon was a constant threat and completed his hat-trick on 69 minutes. The tireless Ross MacKinnon found Gordon who slammed the ball home from 18 yards to make it 5-1.

Mowi North Division 1

Glengarry 11
Aberdeen University 1

Glengarry go top of the table on goal difference after defeating Aberdeen University 11-1 at Craigard.

Nick Dalgety scored on 10 and 18 minutes to put Glengarry 2-0 ahead.
Finlay Nicolson added a third on 19 minutes, whilst Ruthven Goudie Hamilton made it 4-0 on 28 minutes.

The goals kept flowing as Nick Dalgety completed his hat-trick on 31 minutes and David Rodgers made it 6-0 six minutes later.

Nick Dalgety added his fourth on 61 minutes. Rhuairaidh MacDonald rattled in a hat-trick with strikes on 64, 68 and 74 minutes. Stuart Cameron pulled a goal back on 77 minutes but Rhuairaidh MacDonald got his fourth a minute from time to round off the impressive 11-1 victory.

Newtonmore 4
Fort William 2

The Newtonmore seconds go fourth in the league after beating the Fort William seconds 4-2 in their 1.30pm throw up at the Eilan.

The sides exchanged early goals as Newtonmore’s Cameron MacNiven on five minutes and Fort William’s Duncan Steven Stevenson on six minutes made it 1-1.

Craig MacLeod put Newtonmore back in front on seven minutes and the same player made it 3-1 on 28 minutes.
Greig Kelly made it 3-2 on 67 minutes but Scott Campbell restored Newtonmore’s two-goal cushion with an effort on 77 minutes.

Fort William’s Grant Disher was sent off by referee Ewan MacDonald.
Elsewhere in the division, the Inverness first team beat the Glenurquhart second team 6-0 in their noon throw-up at Blairbeg.

The Lovat seconds were too strong for the Kinlochshiel seconds, winning 8-0 at Balgate.

The Skye Camanachd second team came from a goal down to beat the Caberfeidh second team 3-1 at Pairc nan Laoch.

Mowi South Division 1

Aberdour 5
Inveraray 3

Table-toppers Aberdour are eight points clear after seeing off the Inveraray colts 5-3 at Silversands.

David McDougall opened the scoring on seven minutes after a swift passing move. Mather twice saved well from Angus Thorburn but the latter stop on 14 minutes saw Ruairidh Reid turn home the re-bound to leave Aberdour in the driving seat.

Inveraray showed they weren’t just there to make up the numbers and pulled a goal back a minute later when the ball fell for Peter McIntyre who scored.

Inveraray restored their two-goal cushion on 23 minutes when Angus Thorburn’s fierce shot from Ruairidh Reid’s pass went in off the keeper to make it 3-1.

This didn’t deter Inveraray who came back at Aberdour and Peter McIntyre got his second on 36 minutes with a well-hit strike to make it 3-2 at half time.

Ruairidh Reid got his second from close in on 54 minutes, whilst a second from Angus Thorburn on 72 minutes put the game out of Inveraray’s reach.
Craig Taylor got a consolation goal for the visitors to make the final score 5-3.

Ballachulish 3
Kyles Athletic 5

The Kyles Athletic second team came from two goals down to defeat Ballachulish 5-3 at Jubilee Park.

Ballachulish got off to a great start with David Wilson in the opening minute and Lewis Bryson 60 seconds later making it 2-0.

However, Chris Blair on 27 minutes and Luke Thornton on 48 minutes made it 2-2.

Scott Henderson put Ballachulish back in front on 61 minutes but Chris Blair completed his hat-trick with quick-fire efforts on 73 and 74 minutes to make it 4-3.

Luke Thornton got his second three minutes from time to make the final score 5-3.

Col Glen 2
Glasgow Mid Argyll 1

Col Glen go second in the league after beating the Glasgow Mid Argyll reserves 2-1 at Glendaruel.

Rory Oxland and Neil McKirdy scored for Col Glen with GMA’s Seb MacMillan replying.

Mowi North Division 2

Kilmallie 2
Boleskine 1

The Kilmallie colts edged out Boleskine 2-1 in their noon throw up at Canal Parks.

Andrew Gibb gave Kilmallie the lead on six minutes and Cam Ross made it 2-0 on 17 minutes.

Sean Fraser made it 2-1 on 20 minutes but Kilmallie stayed in front to take the points.

Elsewhere in the division, Strathspey Camanachd beat leaders Lochcarron 4-1 and the Beauly seconds came from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 with their Strathglass counterparts.

Mowi South Division 2

Kilmory 7
Bute 0

Kilmory return to the top of the league following their 7-0 victory over the Bute colts in their 1.30pm throw-up at MacRae Park.

Alex Cunningham on five minutes and Alister MacArthur a couple of minutes later got Kilmory off to a good start.

Alex Cunningham got his second on 12 minutes as Kilmory continued to dominate.

Euan Gilmour got his first senior goal on 15 minutes and Alister MacArthur got his second on 17 minutes to make it 5-0.

A Hal Jones strike on 44 minutes made it 6-0 at the break.
Alex Cunningham completed his hat-trick on 82 minutes with the only goal of the second half.

Ardnamurchan 1
Aberdour 3

Player/manager Roddy MacColl grabbed a hat-trick as the Aberdour reserves defeated Ardnamurchan 3-1 at Spean Bridge.

The sides exchanged early goals with Roddy MacColl giving Aberdour the lead on two minutes with Herbie Paterson levelling three minutes after.

Roddy MacColl put Aberdour back in front on 24 minutes and completed his hat-trick on the hour.

WCA round-up
Mowi National Division

Badenoch 12
Glasgow Mid Argyll 0

League leaders Badenoch were too strong for Glasgow Mid Argyll, winning 12-0 in their 1pm throw-up at the Dell.

Kirsty Deans scored four times, Mairi Stewart and Eilidh Ross bagged braces whilst Megan Ralph, Rhona McIntyre, Ruth Forbes and Sarah Caird scored the others.

Strathspey 1
Aberdour 2

Niamh Donnelly’s double cancelled out Jade Callum’s effort as Aberdour defeated Strathspey 2-1 at Grantown Grammar School.

Mowi North Division 2

Glengarry 4                                                                                                                                  Lovat 6

Lovat beat Glengarry 6-4 in their 1pm throw-up at Craigard.
Elaine Cameron’s double and goals from Nikki Grant and Emily Gordon counted for Glengarry but Laura Gallacher scored four and Fiona Urquhart twice as Lovat took the points.

Skye Camanachd 5
Strathglass 2

The Skye Camanachd second team beat Strathglass 5-2 in their noon throw-up at Pairc nan Laoch on Saturday June 8.

Abby MacLean scored twice for Skye with Holly MacLean grabbing a hat-trick.