Kyle of Lochalsh and Portree lifeboats called to vessel aground

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Kyle of Lochalsh and Portree RNLI lifeboats were called to a seven-metre rigid inflatable boat aground on rocks off Torridon on Friday.

The six people on board the vessel had set off flares after running aground on the rapidly dropping tide.

The UK Coastguard launched the lifeboats after a fishing vessel reported seeing multiple flares a few minutes earlier.

Kyle lifeboat arrived on scene at 4.44pm to find the RIB hard aground and quickly put a crew member onboard the casualty vessel to assess the situation and ensure no-one was injured.

With it confirmed everyone was safe, and with Portree lifeboat en route, the Kyle crew started to transfer the people from the casualty vessel onto the lifeboat.

A short time later Portree lifeboat arrived on scene.

As the RIB was stuck fast on the rocks, and with no way to confirm the boat was watertight, it was decided to wait on scene until the tide turned to allow the boat to refloat.

Shortly before 6.30pm, the RIB successfully floated free of the rocks and both lifeboats were stood down and returned to their respective stations.

A Kyle RNLI spokesperson said the crew of the casualty vessel were well equipped and did the correct thing.

‘After running aground and with patchy VHF radio coverage, they had tried attracting attention by using visual signals and an air horn,’ said the spokesperson.

‘When this proved unsuccessful, they set off flares to attract the attention of the passing vessel.’


Kyle lifeboat with the RIB hard aground on Friday. Photograph: Kyle RNLI.

NO F24 Kyle lifeboat with casualty Vessel