Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup quarter-final draw

l-r John MacLeod, Tom Uppington, Keith Loades, Derek Fraser Rosie Flannigan

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

The draw for the quarter-finals of the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup took place on Monday June 3, at the Liberty British Aluminium Smelter in Fort William.

Caberfeidh will play Lochaber; Kingussie will play Kyles Athletic; Glasgow Mid Argyll or Kinlochshiel will face Oban Camanachd; with Newtonmore or Lovat facing Skye.

Making the draw were Derek Fraser, a member of the Kilmallie team that won the Camanachd Cup in 1964; five times winner John MacLeod of Fort William; and, from Liberty British Aluminium, Tom Uppington, power operations director, and Rosie Flannigan, executive assistant.

Derek Fraser said: ‘People outwith shinty don’t realise just how special the Camanachd Cup is. You can be the best shinty player in Scotland and still not get a Camanachd Cup winner’s medal.’

Kilmallie stalwart Derek is in no doubt of the importance of shinty’s blue riband competition and when making the quarter-final draw, memories came flooding back of the team’s 1964 success when they beat Inveraray 4-1 at the King George V Park in Fort William.

John MacLeod is clear on what makes the Camanachd Cup so special. ‘The incredible history of the competition brings it to the fore. I also always appreciated there were better players in the game than me who never had the opportunity to play in a final. Growing up in Ballachulish, I always heard stories about Camanachd Cup matches from days gone by. It was always something that was talked about.’

Keith Loades, Camanachd Association president, added: ‘There are some interesting and exciting ties to look forward to.’

All the quarter-finals will be played on Saturday July 6 except the game between Glasgow Mid Argyll/Kinlochshiel and Oban Camanachd which will be played on Saturday July 13.

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup – second round

Newtonmore 1 Lovat 1

Newtonmore and Lovat, who have contested the last two Camanachd Cup finals, face a replay to decide who goes through to the last eight of this year’s blue riband competition after they drew 1-1 at the Eilan.

The Lovat defence of Daniel Grieve, Danny Kelly, Martin Mainland and Craig Mainland were excellent from the start, restricting Newtonmore to a few chances.

Lovat’s Lewis Tawse sent an effort wide on 18 minutes while, at the other end, Evan Menzies carried the ball through on goal as Stuart MacDonald came off his line to close him down. Menzies slipped the ball past the Scotland keeper but it came off MacDonald’s right post.

Lovat lost Lorne MacKay, who had been suffering with flu, on 34 minutes. Calum MacAulay came on, with Callum Cruden going to centre, where his speed and play began to turn the tie in Lovat’s favour.

A couple of minutes later, an Evan Menzies shot took a deflection but Stuart MacDonald saved with his feet.

Lovat broke the deadlock on 54 minutes. Lewis Tawse and Calum MacAulay exchanged passes before MacAulay hammered a great 30-yard drive into the top corner of the net, beating stretching keeper Kenny Ross to his left.

Newtonmore boss Paul John MacKintosh made a change on 73 minutes with Steven MacDonald replaced by attacker Ewan Fraser, who scored four times for the reserves the previous evening, and Michael Russell going to centre.

Russell took the game by the scruff of the neck and turned the tie in the home side’s favour.

Lovat’s chances suffered a blow three minutes later. Michael Russell surged forward from midfield, before being brought down by the chasing Callum Cruden who received a second yellow card from referee Robert Baxter meaning the Balgate side had to see out the final stages a man short.

Newtonmore got the equaliser with 10 minutes remaining. Michael Russell took a free-hit from a central position 22 yards from goal. Russell knocked the ball to the left where Iain Robinson lost his marker and ran across from the right. Robinson came to a skidding stop before steadying himself and shooting low through a crowded goal area and into the net to the obvious delight of the home support.

Lovat, who looked so assured at the back earlier in the match, now looked ragged. Newtonmore finished strongly but couldn’t get the winning goal.

Oban Camanachd 2 Glenurquhart 1

Two first-half goals gave Oban Camanachd a 2-1 victory over Glenurquhart in their noon throw-up at Mossfield.

Oban Camanachd had Scott MacMillan back and he started on the bench with Gary McKerracher and Willie Neilson.

cottages.com MacTavish Cup finalists Glenurquhart had won seven of their eight matches this season – drawing the other – so they went into this tie with confidence. James MacPherson returned and started, playing the first 45 minutes.

The sides drew twice last season and the Glenurquhart forwards worked the home defence at times. Oban Camanachd defender Daniel Madej was given a marking job on Glenurquhart danger man Neale Reid.

Oban Camanachd keeper Cameron Sutherland made a good save with his hand to deny Glenurquhart’s Neale Reid the game’s opening goal.

Andrew MacCuish gave Oban Camanachd the lead on 23 minutes. The ball was played up to MacCuish who ran away from goal, from the edge of the ‘D’ to around the penalty spot, to get away from marker John Barr. MacCuish initially looked to have taken a touch too many but he turned and sent a rocket-shot into the roof of the net to make it 1-0.

Daniel Madej had been suffering from a niggling hamstring problem ahead of the game and had to come off, with Gary McKerracher proving an ideal replacement as he is looking back to his old self. Daniel Sloss now picked up Neale Reid.

The hosts had to absorb a period of Glenurquhart pressure before Daniel MacVicar doubled their lead on 35 minutes. Aidan MacIntyre played in a corner and MacVicar’s snapshot flew past keeper Stuart MacKintosh.

Neale Reid sent a rebound over the bar after Cameron Sutherland was again called into action.

Oban Camanachd created a couple of other good first-half chances, one of which fell to Daniel Cameron after a clever Andrew MacCuish free-hit.

The other saw Andrew MacCuish send a shot into the side-netting but it remained 2-0 at the break.

Glenurquhart pulled a goal back on 64 minutes following a good passing move down the left and a great drive from Connor Golabek which gave the keeper no chance.

With Michael Fraser now at full forward, Glenurquhart looked for a leveller but Oban Camanachd saw out the remainder of the match to take their place in the next round.

Oban Camanachd assistant manager Kenny Wotherspoon said: ‘Glenurquhart might be in the National Division, but this was never going to be a pushover given their results this season. We had to be cautious and show them respect.

‘We are on a good run, too, though. The main thing for us was to be in the quarter-final draw and we have achieved that.

‘Our attention now turns to Inveraray this Saturday. We’re without Daniel Sloss and he’s a big player for us. However, against Glenurquhart Gary McKerracher showed what he can do.’

Skye Camanachd 3 Oban Celtic 0

Skye Camanachd avenged the previous weekend’s league defeat to Oban Celtic, winning 3-0 in their 3pm throw-up at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Skye had John Gillies and Iain MacLellan back in their starting line-up. Iain Nicolson returned from injury but started on the bench. Stewart Grant and James Pringle were missing.

Oban Celtic had Peter Currie and Rory Bruce back but Ally McKerracher and George MacMillan were still out, while Lewis Mcphee, Daniel MacMillan and John Douglas were unable to travel. There were starting places for second team assistant manager Angus MacNeil and Chris Campbell, who is just back playing with the second team. A knee injury meant Michael MacKinnon was restricted to the bench where he was joined by boss Dougie MacIntyre and his assistant Les Kinvig.

Iain MacLellan marked his return to the side with the opening goal on 15 minutes. Jordon Murchison picked out MacLellan on the left with a perfectly weighted pass and MacLellan turned by Peter Currie, who slipped, and his knee-height shot went across keeper Iain MacFarlane and into the net.

Will Cowie saw a shot from the left saved by keeper Iain MacFarlane a minute later and Iain MacLellan sent the rebound just the wrong side of the post.

Skye had the wind advantage and most of the first-half pressure but they were unable to add to their tally although they went close when Peter Currie did well to deflect away Ross Gordon’s blistering goal-bound effort.

Ross Gordon got his goal to make it 2-0 on 50 minutes. Gordon was first to a rebound after Iain MacFarlane had saved Will Cowie’s powerful shot.

Skye sealed their place in the next round on 76 minutes when Ally MacLeod’s long free-hit from the left found Jordan Murchison to the right of the ‘D’ and he swept the ball home to make it 3-0.

John Gillies had a fine game for Skye, marking Oban Celtic danger man Ross MacMillan.

Oban Celtic assistant manager Les Kinvig said: ‘We knew coming up here today, with the players who were unavailable, that it was going to be a tough ask. We were ravaged by injuries, work commitments and illness. Rory Bruce’s return was a big bonus though and he came back early because of the number of guys who were missing.

‘We came up here last week with a stronger 12. We know Skye are a very good team. We could have done better at a couple of goals but we dug in with what we had and the National Division is our main aim this season. We have a free Saturday this weekend which will be a chance to shrug off the injury and illness issues before we head to Beauly the week after.’

Fort William 1 Caberfeidh 2

Caberfeidh came from a goal down to beat Fort William 2-1 at An Aird.

With Fort William’s Arran MacPhee and Caberfeidh’s Ryan MacKay back, both teams were at full strength for this eagerly awaited tie.

The hosts opened with a strong wind behind them but it was Caberfeidh who should have taken the lead on seven minutes when Craig Morrison found space on the right, but his shot went wide of goal.

Fort William responded and Calum Shepherd lost his marker on the left before shooting into the side netting.

Calum Shepherd and Ally MacLennan were having a good battle in the middle of the park as they fought to supply their respective forward lines.

Fort William went in front just before half-time. Caberfeidh keeper Ewan Pilcher made an incredible save to keep out a screaming Alexander MacMillan shot from the left. The ball rebounded out of the ‘D’ and two Fort forwards gave chase along with Caberfeidh defender Scott MacLachlan. However, MacLachlan slipped and Lachie Shaw fired the ball past the keeper to make it 1-0.

A minute later, referee John Angus Gillies flashed two yellow cards, one to Ryan MacKay for a late swing and a second to Lewis Clark for retaliation.

Fort William should have increased their lead following a great move just after the restart. Calum Shepherd played a clever reverse midfield pass to Lachie Shaw who slipped an inch-perfect ball to Alexander MacMillan. MacMillan got past his marker and just had goalie Ewan Pilcher to beat but his effort went wide of the keeper’s left post.

Fort William would rue the miss as Caberfeidh drew level on 49 minutes. Ally MacLennan played the ball forward to Craig Morrison on the penalty spot who took the ball to his side before firing past a helpless Paul MacKay in the home goal.

Paul MacKay then made a good save to keep out Kevin Bartlett’s 18-yard shot.

Caberfeidh took the lead for the first time on 58 minutes. Ryan MacKay, who had switched to buckshee forward, found Kevin Bartlett on the right and he turned Sean Cameron before running towards goal and slotting the ball past the keeper.

Fort William suffered a further blow as Sean Cameron twisted his knee badly when challenging Bartlett and had to leave the field.

Fort William brought Jack Fraser on for Lewis Morrison and he almost scored with his first touch, but his effort went just over the bar.

Fort William finished strongly in a bid to equalise. Alexander MacMillan found space on the left on 79 minutes and he ran towards goal. Connor MacGregor swung his stick to prevent MacMillan scoring, earning a yellow card.

Blair Morrison also had his name taken after losing his stick and kicking the ball away to prevent another Fort William attack.

Caberfeidh were relieved to hear the final whistle. They relied on the excellent Blair Morrison in defence along with the reliable Scott MacLachlan at full back. Craig Morrison and Kevin Bartlett combined well up front, whilst Ally MacLennan put in another strong shift at full centre.

Fort William fullback Sean Cameron played really well until his injury. Calum Shepherd and Sean Cruickshank were effective in the centre line, whilst Lachie Shaw and Alexander MacMillan shone up front.

Lochaber 5 Kilmallie 3

Lochaber twice came from behind to beat Kilmallie 5-3 at Spean Bridge.

Lochaber’s Danny Delaney was suspended and Shaun Nicolson was out through injury. Barry MacDonald returned following a hand injury and Martin Johnstone was back.

Kilmallie have been without Michael Rodger in recent weeks whilst, in a late change, Martin Stewart came into the defence in place of Cam Clark.

Innes Blackhall gave Kilmallie the lead on 19 minutes but the hosts had the chance to level when referee Des McNulty awarded them a penalty. Findlay MacDonald took the spot-hit but Kilmallie goalie Shane Gillie saved with his foot.

Lochaber did find an equaliser on 36 minutes when Ben Delaney scored.

Liam MacDonald put the visitors back in front on 52 minutes but Ben Delaney levelled for a second time on 61 minutes.

Ben Delaney took his tally to four goals with strikes on 72 and 85 minutes to make it 4-2.

There was still time for Max Campbell to add a fifth Lochaber goal on 89 minutes although Innes Blackhall got his second a minute later to make the final score 5-3.

Kilmallie manager John Stewart said: ‘Again we lost goals in a short spell in the second half. It’s frustrating but we will keep going as the aim is to stay in the Premiership.’

Kyles Athletic 3 Inveraray 1

Kyles Athletic are through to the quarter-finals after beating Inveraray 3-1 at Tighnabruaich.

The opening goal came on 29 minutes following a scramble around the penalty spot. Colin MacDonald had the chance to shoot but spotted an unmarked Robbie MacLeod in a better position on the far side of the ‘D’. MacDonald found MacLeod with a neat pass across the area and he took a touch to control the ball before sending a half-hit effort into the top of the net.

Thomas Whyte added a second three minutes later when he danced past a couple of players to just outside the ‘D’ where his half-swing chipped the ball goalwards. His effort deceived Inveraray keeper Scott MacLachlan and ended up in the net.

Inveraray halved the deficit on 65 minutes. Lewis Montgomery’s hit-in from the right went into the ‘D’. Home goalie John Whyte knocked the ball out of the air but Fraser Watt took a touch and, on the angle, drove the ball into the other side of the goal to make it 2-1.

Kyles sealed the victory three minutes from time. Innes MacDonald made a strong blocking challenge to win possession just outside the ‘D’. MacDonald took a touch away from his marker and his half-hit strike was saved with his feet by keeper MacLachlan. The ball deflected into the air and Paul MacArthur ran in, putting his hit-in skills to good use as he shied the high ball into the net.

Kingussie 7 Beauly 0

Kingussie were too strong for Mowi National Division side Beauly, winning 7-0 in their 3pm throw-up at the Dell.

Doubles from Roddy Young and Liam Borthwick and strikes from Ruaridh Anderson, Savio Genini and Chris Hollysong sealed the win.

Glasgow Mid Argyll P Kinlochshiel P

The 1pm throw-up between Glasgow Mid Argyll and Kinlochshiel at Yoker was postponed following a bereavement.

Mowi National Division

Strathglass 2 Bute 0

Strathglass moved off the bottom of the table at Bute’s expense after they defeated the islanders 2-0 in their 1.30pm throw-up at Cannich.

Sutherland Cup – quarter-finals

Lochside Rovers 3 Boleskine 0

Lochside Rovers are through to the last eight of the competition after beating Boleskine 3-0 in their 3pm throw-up at Mossfield.

Boleskine went into the tie with confidence after defeating the Kingussie seconds in the last round.

Jamie MacGillivray, who travels from Mull to play, gave Lochside the lead on 13 minutes with a 22-yard shot into the roof of the net.

Ross Campbell made it 2-0 on 17 minutes. Gavin Stobbart sent a free-hit forward from midway inside his own half.

The ball bounced to the edge of the ‘D’ and Campbell got to it before the keeper to score.

It took a good save with his hand from Lochside keeper Dougie MacDonald to preserve his side’s two-goal cushion.

Lochside were playing some good one-touch shinty in the first half with Lewis Buchanan, Jamie MacGillivray and Ross Campbell all feeding off full forward Niall MacFarlane.

When the ball was played up to Niall MacFarlane on 57 minutes, his lay-off found Lewis Buchanan who put the ball past the advancing keeper to make it 3-0.

Lochside’s Scott Robertson turned in a man of the match performance with Jamie MacGillivray and Gavin Stobbart also having good games.

Lochside now meet holders Newtonmore seconds in the Sutherland Cup semi-final on Saturday June 22. Elsewhere, Newtonmore go through after defeating Strathspey Camanachd 7-0 at the Eilan, the Glenurquhart reserves beat the Caberfeidh reserves 4-2 at Blairbeg and the Lovat seconds overcame the Beauly seconds 9-2 at Balgate.

Mowi North Division 1

Glengarry 2 Fort William 3

The Fort William second team go top of the table after defeating previous leaders Glengarry 3-0 in their noon throw-up at Craigard.

Victor Smith gave Fort William the lead on four minutes but Nick Dalgety drew Glengarry level a couple of minutes later.

Victor Smith got his second to put the visitors back in front on 11 minutes and completed his hat-trick on 69 minutes.

Nick Dalgety got his second on 83 minutes to make it 3-2 but Fort William stayed in front to take the points. Elsewhere in the division, Skye Camanachd seconds and the Kinlochshiel seconds drew 0-0 at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, whilst the Kingussie colts scored four first-half goals to beat the Inverness first team 4-0 at the Dell.

Mowi South Division 1

Inveraray 3 Taynuilt 4

Taynuilt staged a fantastic comeback, recovering from 3-1 down to beat Inveraray seconds 4-3 at the Winterton.

Inveraray, with Euan McMurdo in their side, started brightly, pressing from the front and putting the visitors under pressure.

However, it was Taynuilt who took the lead through Scott Dempster on eight minutes.

Inveraray, without David MacPherson, Allan Cameron and Calum MacDonald, were not behind for long though as Coll MacKay levelled on 12 minutes after some good hold up play from Craig Taylor.

Inveraray then took the lead on 16 minutes when Coll MacKay got his second. Things looked good for the hosts on 36 minutes when Campbell Watt scored from an acute angle to make it 3-1. Taynuilt clawed a goal back on the stroke of half-time when Zander Kilmurray netted to make it 3-2 at the break.

The second half was a cagey affair with Inveraray feeling the pressure of only having a one-goal advantage and David Campbell levelled for Taynuilt on 65 minutes to set up a tense finish. Taynuilt showed their mettle though as they took the lead through Scott Dempster with 10 minutes remaining. The victory takes them off the bottom of the table at Inveraray’s expense.

Tayforth 0 Aberdour 4

League leaders Aberdour go seven points clear at the top of the table after beating Tayforth 4-0 in a match at the annual Edinburgh Meadows Festival.

Kyles Athletic 2 Col Glen 5

The Kyles Athletic colts played their second match in less than 48 hours, going down 5-2 against Col Glen in their noon throw-up at Tighnabruaich.

Col Glen took the lead on 18 minutes through Andrew MacVicar.
Stewart Taylor drew Kyles level on 41 minutes but a couple of minutes later,

Iain Wilson scored to see Col Glen going into the interval 2-1 ahead.

Conor Guidici pulled Kyles level for the second time a couple of minutes after the restart.

However, a powerful finish saw Col Glen take the points. Neil McKirdy added a brace on 59 and 78 minutes, either side of Donald McDermid’s 65th minute effort.

Forty eight hours earlier, Calum McLay scored twice as Glasgow Mid Argyll seconds beat the Kyles Athletic seconds 2-1 at Tighnabruaich.

Mowi South Division 2

Aberdour 2 Glenorchy 5

Glenorchy took advantage of their game in hand on Kilmory when they beat the Aberdour reserves 5-2 at Silversands. Roddy MacColl put the hosts ahead on 12 minutes before Kieran MacKay rattled in four goals on 20, 25, 32 and 40 minutes to leave Glenorchy 4-1 ahead at the turnaround.

Conor Sartain made it 5-1 on 66 minutes with Eosaph Caimbeul getting another for the home side with 10 minutes remaining.

The win puts Glenorchy top of the table over Kilmory on goal difference.

Oban Celtic P Bute P

The match between the Oban Celtic seconds and the Bute seconds at Ganavan will be rescheduled at the islanders’ request.

WCA round-up

Mowi National Division

Glasgow Mid Argyll 0 Badenoch 5

Badenoch remain two points clear at the top of the division after beating Glasgow Mid Argyll 5-0 in their 1.30pm throw-up at Yoker. Kirsty Deans scored four times with Zoe Reid also netting.

Glenurquhart 0 Lochaber 7

Lochaber defeated Glenurquhart 7-0 in their 11am throw-up at Blairbeg.
Mairi Duncan and Kirsty Delaney scored twice, with Claire Delaney, Natalie MacDonald and Christy MacIntyre getting the others.