Shinty round-up

Kingussie keeper Rory McGregor stands up to the challenge from Newtonmore’s Glen Mackintosh during the MacTavish Cup semi-final. Photograph: Annie Macdonald.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now MacTavish Cup
– semi final

Newtonmore 2
Kingussie 1

Newtonmore will face Glenurquhart in the MacTavish Cup Final, but it took an excellent second half defensive display to ensure they defeated Kingussie 2-1 in their all-Badenoch semi-final at the Eilan.

Glen MacKintosh created and scored the game’s opening goal on four minutes. MacKintosh, with his back to goal, twisted to each side to make enough space on his right before firing into the net with the ball going in off the keeper’s stick.

Evan Menzies was the provider for Newtonmore’s second on 12 minutes as he got by Rory MacKeachan and Calum Grant before cutting in from the right. His ball forward deflected back to him off Ryan MacWilliam and he slipped possession to Glen MacKintosh who scored.

Savio Genini halved the deficit on 17 minutes. Fraser Munro’s hit-in from near the corner flag on the left was knocked down by a home defender and Genini swept the ball first-time into the net with his waist-high, back-hand shot beating keeper Kenny Ross on his left side.

Steven Macdonald’s big hitting proved effective in the first half and Newtonmore remained 2-1 in front at half-time.

Despite Newtonmore’s good start, Kingussie came back into the tie and the second half belonged to them as they took control of the centre line.
Newtonmore lost Andy MacKintosh, who had to be helped off with an ankle injury on the hour, so Michael Russell dropped back into defence.

David MacLean came on up front and had one of Newtonmore’s few second half efforts with a low shot which was saved with his feet by Rory MacGregor.

Kingussie, who put Lee Bain on for Roddy Young with 10 minutes remaining, came close to a leveller when Savio Genini’s effort was cleared off the line by the impressive Craig Ritchie.

This was a tough test for Newtonmore to overcome but they did just enough to win. They relied on their defence of Andy MacKintosh, Craig Ritchie, Iain Richardson and the excellent Rory Kennedy, especially in the second half, and restricted Kingussie in the main to shots from distance. Kennedy’s performance made him the game’s stand-out player.
Kingussie, with Calum Grant and James Hutchison playing well, fell just short on this occasion but they are developing into a fine young side and silverware can’t be far away.

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup –
first round replay

Glasgow Mid Argyll 3
Bute 2

Glasgow Mid Argyll made Camanachd Cup progress when they defeated Bute 3-2 in their first round replay at Yoker.

The hosts went in front after seven minutes.

Oliver MacRae shot goalwards but his effort was blocked and fell to Andy McGhee who placed the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Bute battled back and GMA keeper Robert Dunnings saved well from Robert Zavaroni.

GMA, prompted by the excellent Jonnie MacAskill at wing centre, finished the half strongly and, with half-time looming, Oliver MacRae’s shot was saved by Bute keeper Kevin Queen, but Calum McLay followed up to turn the rebound home.

Both sides had chances before the hosts scored what proved to be a crucial third goal on 74 minutes.

Oliver MacRae gathered the ball with his back to goal and turned before driving the ball hard into the bottom corner of the net.

Bute battled until the end though and, on 84 minutes, when a long ball dropped over the home defence, Robert Walker tucked the ball past Robert Dunnings as the keeper came off his line.

Bute went back on the attack and, with just a minute remaining, when a corner launched to the back post wasn’t cleared, Iain McDonald thumped a shot into the top corner of the net to make it 3-2.

Mowi Premiership

Oban Camanachd 4
Lochaber 0

Oban Camanachd won for the fifth successive game, beating Lochaber 4-0 at a wet Mossfield.

Oban Camanachd were still without Scott McKillop and Chrissie MacMillan but Keith MacMillan returned, taking over from the unavailable Scott MacMillan. The hosts had a strong bench – Gary McKerracher, Willie Neilson, Blair MacFarlane and Craig MacDougall.

Danny Delaney was free to play for Lochaber but he will miss this Saturday’s Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup tie against Kilmallie after picking up a one-match ban for passing through the disciplinary points threshold. Martin Johnstone was missing.

The hosts created early chances but their shooting lacked accuracy.
They did have the ball in the net through Daniel MacVicar but goal judge Nigel Evans ruled the effort out, spotting that Daniel MacCuish was offside.
The wet conditions made it difficult for both teams and even gripping the stick was difficult at times.

Daniel MacVicar eventually got his goal on 37 minutes. Andrew MacCuish saw his effort saved with his feet by Lochaber keeper Callum MacDonald but MacVicar showed the necessary composure to shoot home from the rebound.

Oban Camanachd’s Malcolm Clark tries an unorthodox tackle on Lochaber’s Danny Delaney. Photograph: Stephen Lawson.

Daniel MacVicar got his and Oban Camanachd’s second a couple of minutes into the second half. Daniel Cameron played a great ball to MacVicar and his effort eluded keeper MacDonald.

Daniel MacCuish scored his fourth goal over the last three games on 58 minutes. Keith MacMillan’s corner came to MacCuish who controlled the ball well as it dropped to his favoured left side and he found the net to make it 3-0.

Oban Camanachd made changes as Daniel Sloss and Andrew MacCuish came off in favour Gary McKerracher and Willie Neilson. Daniel Sloss picked up a first half booking which triggers a suspension for the match against Inveraray on Saturday June 8.

Keith MacMillan went to half back for Sloss and Daniel MacCuish again went onto the wing with McKerracher going to full forward.
Willie Neilson scored goal of the match on 68 minutes. When the ball was fired over to Neilson, he took a touch before rifling the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Blair MacFarlane came off the bench for Aidan MacIntyre with 12 minutes remaining to make his first senior appearance for Oban Camanachd on the wing.

Oban Camanachd’s Aiden MacIntyre had a good game throughout, whilst Daniel Madej was also effective at full back.

The win lifts Oban Camanachd to fifth in the table ahead of this Saturday’s Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup second round tie against Glenurquhart at Mossfield with the throw-up time to be confirmed.

Oban Camanachd have also confirmed their Artemis Macaulay Cup semi-final tie against Kyles Athletic will take place at Mossfield on Wednesday June 12 after they agreed to Kyles Athletic’s request for a date change.

Oban Camanachd assistant manager Kenny Wotherspoon spoke after the win: ‘It’s another good couple of points. We have added to our goals tally and we’ve kept another clean sheet so we’re delighted with our day’s work.

‘Lochaber had a good result against Caberfeidh the previous week so we gave them respect.

‘It was again a case of asking for more from the players at half-time and they responded.

‘We may have made a sluggish start to the season but we now have options with players back.’

Caberfeidh 6
Kinlochshiel 3

Caberfeidh moved out of the relegation zone at Kilmallie’s expense after they came from behind to beat Caberfeidh 6-3 at Castle Leod.
Jordan Fraser put Kinlochshiel ahead on 31 minutes when his 30- yard shot went through the keeper’s feet.

Craig Morrison drew Caberfeidh level five minutes later when he went through one-on-one with the keeper who saved his first attempt but Morrison was left with a tap-in.

Craig Morrison then put his side in front on 38 minutes with a half-hit shot from outside the box.

Kinlochshiel brought Finlay MacRae on for Duncan Matheson who had a dead leg. However, MacRae, who has just returned from a broken arm, was only able to play for minutes before being replaced by Andrew MacKenzie.
Morrison completed his hat-trick a minute before the break with a strike from 25 yards that went high into the middle of the net.

Jordan Fraser got his second to pull Kinlochshiel back into it three minutes into the second half. Home keeper Ewan Pilcher made an initial save but the rebound was knocked down and into the net by Fraser to make it 3-2. Caberfeidh restored their two-goal cushion three minutes later. Kevin Bartlett turned his man well before hitting a good strike with his back-hand into the roof of the net from just outside the penalty spot.

The goals kept coming and Craig Morrison got his fourth on 57 minutes. Kevin Bartlett played a good ball across the penalty spot and Morrison had time to hammer a great shot into the top corner of the net to make it 5-2.

Kinlochshiel came back again and John MacRae pulled another goal back, scoring from a rebound with 10 minutes remaining before having to come off with a nasty cut above the eye. Duncan MacMillan took his place.

Caberfeidh also missed a penalty but Craig Morrison capped a great individual performance with his fifth goal of the afternoon a couple of minutes after.

A good ball from Robbie Brindle found Morrison who stopped the ball just outside the box. Keeper Stuart MacRae came off his line but Morrison slipped the ball past him and into the net.

Oban Camanachd’s Daniel Cameron tries to get his block in on Lochaber’s Iain Fyfe during last Saturday’s Mowi Premiership match at Mossfield which the red and blacks won 4-0. Photograph: Stephen Lawson.

Inveraray P
Kyles Athletic P

The match between Inveraray and Kyles Athletic at the Winterton was postponed because of a bereavement.

Mowi National Division

Skye Camanachd 2
Oban Celtic 5

Oban Celtic turned in probably their best performance of the season as Ross MacMillan’s hat-trick helped them to a 5-2 win over Skye Camanachd in their 3pm throw-up at a wet Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Both sides were missing a number of regulars. Skye co-managers Kenny MacLeod and Allan Macleod were without the injured Iain Nicolson and Chris Rose as well as John Gillies, James Pringle and Iain MacLellan. Skye gave a debut to Calum Robertson at wing centre, with Ross MacKinnon also starting.

Oban Celtic boss Dougie MacIntyre and his assistant Les Kinvig were missing regulars Ally McKerracher, Peter Currie, George MacMillan and the injured Rory Bruce.

Skye, playing towards the Skeabost end of the ground, went on the attack from the start. Will Cowie came close to giving them an instant lead when he took the ball past keeper Iain MacFarlane, who had saved from Ross Gordon, but he couldn’t direct the ball goalwards.

Cowie did put Skye ahead after three minutes when he turned quickly to get away from his marker and cut in from the left before executing a cool finish with the ball going in off the far post.

Skye came within a whisker of getting a second on 20 minutes when Ross Gordon chipped the ball over the keeper but Lewis Mcphee, who had a great game throughout, did really well to acrobatically flick the ball off the goal line to safety.

Slowly but surely, Oban Celtic grew into the game. Ross MacMillan began to exert his influence, first drawing the Oban side level on 28 minutes. Neil Carmichael sent the ball into the danger area and although Skye keeper Ryan Morrison got a foot to MacMillan’s shot, he couldn’t keep it out.

Oban Celtic’s second goal came from a Neil Carmichael free-hit on 37 minutes after Ross MacMillan had been fouled.

Carmichael crossed the ball from wide on the left, near the corner flag, and Ross MacMillan allowed it to take a bounce before whipping it into the net on the half volley to make it 2-1.

Skye keeper Morrison saved from Ross MacMillan seconds later and home defender James Morrison did well to get his stick to the rebound to steer the ball for a corner.

MacMillan completed his hat-trick on 39 minutes when Skye failed to clear the resultant corner and Ross MacMillan cut in from the left, punishing poor defending to make it 3-1.

Ross MacMillan sent a shot just wide of the post from a free-hit late in the half and Oban Celtic went into the break with their tails up.

Ross MacMillan continued to be a handful and ran at the Skye defence from the restart but his shot went over the top.

Lennon Campbell was instrumental in much of Oban Celtic’s good play and deserved his goal on 50 minutes when he hit Ross MacMillan’s ball first-time, sending it low into the net.

Ross MacKinnon gave Skye hope when he pulled a goal back on 65 minutes. MacKinnon was fouled as he surged forward but referee Iain Kennedy played a good advantage and MacKinnon produced a great finish to score.

The home hopes were short-lived, however, as Daniel MacMillan made it 5-2 three minutes later. Jamie Anderson played the ball back and Daniel MacMillan sent a blistering shot into the net, giving the keeper no chance.

There was no further scoring. Oban Celtic deserved the win for a great team performance and the two points lifts them to third in the table.

The sides meet in Portree again this Saturday in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup.

Oban Celtic assistant manager Les Kinvig spoke immediately after the final whistle. ‘We made a slow start again. Skye scored and Lewis (Mcphee) hooked another off the line but then we found our rhythm and things really clicked today with Ross MacMillan on top form.

‘At half-time we asked the boys not to change anything, to just keep doing the same things so it was a very good day for us.

‘Lennon Campbell showed what he is capable of and people forget Lewis Mcphee is only 18 years old and he was a rock at the back.

‘We should have Ally (McKerracher), George (MacMillan) and Peter (Currie) back for next week but we will just keep playing the same way. The boys know the system and how they fit in.’

Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup – quarter finals

Glenurquhart 7
Aberdour 0

National Division side Glenurquhart proved too strong for South 1 league leaders Aberdour, winning 7-0 in their 3pm throw-up at Blairbeg.

Glenurquhart’s Lachie Smith missed out through suspension whilst James MacPherson was also unavailable.

Connor Golabek put Glenurquhart ahead on four minutes and Neale Reid added two more goals on 14 and 18 minutes before completing his hat-trick on 37 minutes to make it 4-0 at the break.

Neale Reid got his fourth goal five minutes into the second half and Connor Golabek got his second on 66 minutes.

Christopher Mack completed the scoring when he made it 7-0 with four minutes remaining.

Strathglass 3
Inverness 1

Strathglass, who reached this year’s MacTavish Cup semi-final, also made it through to the last four in the Balliemore Cup after coming from behind to beat Inverness 3-1 in their 3pm throw-up at Cannich.

Strathdearn Cup – first round

Strathglass 0
Fort William 2

The Fort William seconds scored a goal in each half to beat the Strathglass seconds 2-0 in their noon throw-up at Cannich.

Victor Smith opened the scoring on 35 minutes with Greig Kelly sealing the win on 62 minutes.

In the other first round ties, the Lovat seconds beat Lochcarron 5-2, holders Newtonmore reserves scored four second half goals to beat the Kinlochshiel reserves 4-0, the Glenurquhart colts beat the Caberfeidh colts 1-0 and the Skye Camanachd second team came from two goals down to beat the Beauly second team 3-2.

The Kingussie colts beat Strathspey Camanachd 4-1, whilst Boleskine were given a walk-over when the Inverness seconds were unable to raise a team.

Mowi South Division 1

Lochside Rovers 5
Tayforth 2

A powerful second half performance helped Lochside Rovers beat Tayforth 5-2 in their 11.30am throw-up at Mossfield.

With Lochside manager Brian MacCallum away, assistant boss George Easton was aided by former boss Gareth Evans and Andrew Pearson.

It was a scrappy first half but the Oban sent went in front on 27 minutes.
A long ball out of defence from full back Gavin Stobbart found Jamie MacGillivray who picked out Craig MacDougall who slotted the ball past the advancing keeper.

Good goalkeeping prevented Lochside adding to their tally but they ended up going into the break on level terms when defender Craig Easton was caught out on 43 minutes and a ball into the ‘D’ was turned past home keeper Dougie MacDonald by Sean Taylor.

Tayforth took the lead on 50 minutes when Niall Arnott turned Gavin Stobbart on the edge of the ‘D’ before beating the advancing keeper.

Lochside made changes, introducing Niall MacFarlane and then Ewen MacCorquodale into their attack, also making a positional swap which saw Craig MacDougall going to half forward and Lewis Buchanan, who had a quiet first half, going to full forward.

The Buchanan switch paid off when he scored twice in two minutes to put his side back in front.

First, Buchanan netted following a goalmouth melee on 57 minutes and then, just 60 seconds later, he sent a 25 yard drive into the top corner of the net to make it 3-2.

Lochside wing centre Callum Kirsop added his name to the scoresheet on 61 minutes.

Lewis Buchanan’s initial shot was saved but Kirsop ran in from nowhere to volley the rebound waist-high into the net.

Niall MacFarlane was holding the ball up well in the Lochside forward line and put the outcome beyond doubt on 79 minutes. The ball broke to the right of the ‘D’ and MacFarlane finished well, low into the corner of the net to make it 5-2.

Tayforth were stuffy opponents throughout whilst Lochside full centre Blair MacFarlane turned in a man of the match performance.

Lochside Rovers now prepare for Boleskine’s visit to Oban this Saturday in the Sutherland Cup.

Kyles Athletic P
Glasgow Mid Argyll P

The match between the Kyles Athletic seconds and the Glasgow Mid Argyll seconds at Tighnabruaich has been rescheduled for Thursday May 30.

Ballachulish P
Inveraray P

The game between Ballachulish and the Inveraray colts at the Jubilee Park was called off because of a bereavement.

Mowi South Division 2

Glenorchy 3
Kilmory 4

A second goal from Alister MacArthur five minutes from time gave Kilmory a 4-3 victory over title rivals Glenorchy in their match at Mart Park.

This clash brought together the league’s top two teams. Alex Cunningham gave the visitors the lead on 12 minutes with a 20-yard bouncing shot after Alister MacArthur’s initial effort had been blocked by Findlay Ross.

Kilmory keeper Steven Gilmour did well to tip over Conor Sartain’s shot soon after but the hosts suffered a blow seven minutes before the break when key defender Arik MacKechnie was forced off with a nasty hand injury. Graham Morrice came on in his place.

Kilmory extended their lead on 43 minutes as full centre Andy Cunningham’s low shot from distance deflected off Graham Morrice’s caman before nestling into the bottom corner of the net.

Glenorchy cut the deficit on the stroke of half time when John Sartain’s lofted ball from midfield dropped past keeper Gilmour and into the net to make it 2-1 at the break.

Glenorchy restored their two-goal cushion a minute into the second half when Alister MacArthur went through on goal and he steered the ball low into the net.

Glenorchy went back on the attack and, after a couple of close things, veteran substitute Graeme MacKechnie placed a shot into the top corner of the net to make it 3-2.

Glenorchy lost John Sartain through injury with 20 minutes to go and, just a minute later, they suffered more back luck as referee Ewen MacDonald awarded them a penalty when Graeme MacKechnie was brought down in the act of scoring. MacKechnie took the spot hit but his effort came back off the crossbar.

Glenorchy were awarded a second spot-hit on 73 minutes for a ‘kick’ inside the box. This time defender Graham Morrice took responsibility and his low strike beat the keeper to make it 3-3.

The outcome remained in the balance until five minutes from time when Hal Jones played a long ball to Alister MacArthur and his shot on the run went low into the corner of the net to give Kilmory both points.

This was Glenorchy’s first league defeat of the season. They now trail Kilmory by a couple of points but have a game in hand and the sides have still to meet at MacRae Park.

This title race looks like going to the wire.

Oban Celtic 3
Ardnamurchan 0

The clash between the Oban Celtic reserves and Ardnamurchan was first switched to Spean Bridge and then to Ganavan as the Oban side faced travel difficulties.

Scott Burnett put the Oban side ahead on 15 minutes and Alex Galbraith made it 2-0 on 32 minutes.

Scott Burnett got his second and Oban Celtic’s third four minutes after the restart to make it 3-0, lifting the Oban Celtic reserves to fourth in the table, behind their Aberdour counterparts only on goal difference.

WCA round-up

Mowi National Division

Lochaber 4
Strathspey 1

Lochaber beat Strathspey 4-1 in their noon throw-up at Spean Bridge. Natalie MacDonald grabbed a hat-trick with Kirsty Delaney getting the other.

Arabella Kennard countered.