Shinty round-up

KILMALLIE V OBAN CAMANACHD 27/4/19 Kilmallie’s Liam Cameron tackles Scott MacMillan. Picture Iain Ferguson,

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Newtonmore and Inveraray made cup progress and Lovat lead shinty’s top flight again following the shinty action on Saturday April 27.

Mowi Premiership

Kilmallie 1
Oban Camanachd 3

After two draws from four matches, Oban Camanachd recorded their first league win of the season, beating Kilmallie 3-1 at Canal Parks.

Kilmallie’s Martin Stewart started a two-match ban following his red card against Kinlochshiel the previous weekend. Boss John Stewart played Michael Rodger in attack where he joined Liam MacDonald in the full forward positions.

Oban Camanachd’s Gary McKerracher missed out as he completed his two-game suspension. Manager Stephen Sloss was also without Aidan MacIntyre, Chrissie MacMillan, Scott McKillop, David Lafferty, Willie Neilson and Keith MacMillan. Lennon Campbell, Ross Campbell and Craig Easton made up the visiting bench.

Oban Camanachd’s opener came on 35 minutes when Daniel MacVicar, at full stretch around the penalty spot, played on a long Daniel Madej free-hit to Daniel Cameron on the left whose snap-shot beat home keeper Shane Gillies.

Daniel MacVicar added a second three minutes later. Another long ball, this time from Scott MacMillan, saw Craig MacDougall, Daniel Cameron and Andrew MacCuish combine to press the Kilmallie defence, preventing them from clearing the danger, and when the ball broke to Daniel MacVicar, he tucked it home from outside the ‘D’.

The game was flowing from end to end in the second half when Kilmallie pulled a goal back. Home substitute Daniel Stewart capitalised on a defensive lapse from Oban Camanachd full back Daniel Madej, his only mistake of the game, and Stewart fired home a great shot to make it 2-1 with 71 minutes gone.

Kilmallie’s chances of getting a leveller suffered a blow when skipper Liam MacDonald, who had earlier been booked, received his marching orders for lashing out at Oban Camanachd defender Daniel Sloss who was grounded at the time. A melee followed, with others fortunate not to receive the referee’s attention, before the man in black Martin MacLean restored order.
Andrew MacCuish sealed the win four minutes from time, scoring on the turn, low and hard into the net, to make it 3-1.

A couple of minutes later, Andrew MacCuish took a heavy blow as he shielded the ball in the corner and had to come off, with Lennon Campbell coming on in his place.

Defender Daniel Sloss and Daniel Cameron up front were best for the Oban side.

Oban Camanachd assistant manager Kenny Wotherspoon was pleased with the win. He added: ‘We need to build on this win and we desperately need the guys carrying niggling injuries to return to boost our numbers. Col Glen will be tough opponents this week and we’ll have to put in a good performance against them. It would be good to have players back for that game and for Caberfeidh in the league the week after.’

Kinlochshiel 2
Kyles Athletic 2

Kinlochshiel twice came from behind to draw 2-2 with Kyles Athletic in their re-arranged league match at Kirkton.

The visitors, playing up the slope, got off to a terrific start after 30 seconds. Referee Archie Ritchie penalised Kinlochshiel centre Donald Nixon for jumping at the throw-up.

When the resultant free-hit was played into the home danger area, keeper Stuart MacRae’s clearance came off Colin MacDonald on the left and Thomas Whyte took the ball across goal before finding Robbie MacLeod who lifted a shot from the right into the net.

The goal rocked Kinlochshiel and they took time to settle, soaking up pressure before eventually levelling on 26 minutes. Duncan Matheson found Scott MacLean with a low ball down the middle and, as he was falling forward, MacLean slipped the ball to Keith MacRae who hammered home a shot from the right.

Kinlochshiel immediately replaced MacLean with John MacRae whilst, 11 minutes later, Scott MacDonald took over from Ross MacRae for Kyles.
It took a smart Stuart MacRae save to prevent Thomas Whyte putting Kyles back in front and the Kinlochshiel custodian also did well to deny Scott MacDonald from the re-bound.

With four first half minutes remaining, the visitors thought they had regained the lead. Thomas Whyte played a short free-hit to Colin MacDonald who netted but referee Archie Ritchie ruled the players weren’t the required distance when the ball was played.

Kinlochshiel almost went in front when Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae’s long hit-in from the left fell for Keith MacRae. But his snap-shot from a central position was brilliantly saved, high to his right with his caman, by Kyles keeper John Whyte. Whilst Kyles took the initiative from the start of the first half, Kinlochshiel almost did likewise from the re-start.

Ali Nixon thumped a hit-in from the right goalwards and Jordan Fraser latched onto the ball but Roddy Macdonald did just enough to ensure the ball went wide.

Kyles went back on the attack and forced a series of corners before Scott MacDonald put them back in front on 57 minutes. Robbie MacLeod’s initial shot was saved by Stuart MacRae but the lively MacDonald was quickly in to turn home the rebound.

Kinlochshiel brought Duncan ‘WD’ MacRae on for wing centre Ali Nixon midway through the second half whilst Kyles replaced full forward Colin MacDonald with George Thomson.

Thomson almost made an immediate impact, turning home a cut-back but it was deemed the ball had just gone out of play off a home defender before the strike so Kyles had to settle for a corner.

Jordan Fraser’s shot from the Kinlochshiel right went wide of the far post before Fraser limped off with Scott MacLean returning to the fray.

A great strike from George Thomson went just over the junction between bar and post, on the keeper’s right, as the match moved into the closing stages.

To the delight of the home support, Kinlochshiel drew level for a second time with five minutes remaining. Conor Cormack, who was terrific throughout, launched the ball forward from just inside his own half on the right. With keeper John Whyte, defender Neil MacVicar, who had a fine game, and forward Keith MacRae all drawn to the ball, it took a wicked bounce on the fiery surface and ended up in the back of the net.

Kingussie 0
Lovat 3

Lovat replaced Kingussie at the top of the table as they beat Kingussie 3-0 at the Dell.

Greg Matheson fired Lovat ahead just after three minutes. Matheson anticipated that a long ball from midfield would drop over the home defence and he was in the right place to touch the ball into the net.

Marc MacLachlan made it 2-0 on five minutes when he collected the ball around 25 yards from goal and ran in an arc to the right before sending a sweet strike past Rory MacGregor in the home goal.

Greg Matheson got his second and Lovat’s third on 65 minutes. Lewis Tawse prevented the Kingussie defence from clearing their lines and the ball came to Matheson with his back to goal. He spun and hit the ball in one movement, sending it bulleting into the net before the keeper could move.

Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup – quarter final

Inveraray w/o
v Taynuilt

Premiership side Inveraray were given a walk-over into the Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup semi-finals when Taynuilt from South 1 were unable to raise a team for their match at the Winterton.

Inveraray now travel to face Oban Camanachd in the semi-finals on Saturday May 18.

Glasgow Mid Argyll host Kyles Athletic in the other semi-final. MacTavish Cup – quarter-final

Newtonmore 6
Caberfeidh 2

Holders Newtonmore reached the semi-finals by beating Caberfeidh 6-2 at the Eilan.

Iain Robinson followed up his hat-trick against Lochaber the previous week with an early double on 19 and 24 minutes. His first came when Glen MacKintosh did well to retain possession on the left and found Evan Menzies. Caberfeidh keeper Ewan Pilcher saved Menzies’ low shot, but his clearance was blocked by Robinson who swept the ball home.

The same players combined five minutes later. Robinson won the ball in midfield and found Menzies on the left who played the ball down the line to Glen MacKintosh. Robinson had continued his run forward and had to veer his run to the right to get onto MacKintosh’s low cross and he finished in style with a low shot across the keeper.

Glen MacKintosh made it 3-0 on 35 minutes. Menzies touched a ball forward to MacKintosh who took the ball wide on the left before firing low across the keeper’s outstretched left foot.

Ewan Pilcher made an excellent save from Michael Russell’s strike from distance three minutes into the second half. As the ball came back out to Russell, he passed to Evan Menzies in a central position who lashed the ball home to make it 4-0.

Evan Menzies got his second on 57 minutes.

Iain Robinson and Glen MacKintosh combined and when the ball came to Menzies on the edge of the ‘D’, he took a touch before scoring.
Robbie Brindle pulled a goal back on 64 minutes, finishing well as the ball broke to him just outside the ‘D’.

Craig Morrison crashed a penalty into the top corner of the net on 81 minutes, beating keeper Kenny Ross on his left side, after referee Calum Girvan penalised the goalie for kicking the ball away.

Glen MacKintosh had the final say when he made it 6-2 a minute from time. MacKintosh volleyed home Evan Menzies’ flick on from the left of the ‘D’.

Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup
– first round

Fort William 3
Oban Celtic 0

Arran MacPhee made the difference as Fort William beat Oban Celtic 3-0 at An Aird.

Fort William’s Mark Grant was free of his two-game suspension, but JD MacMaster missed out with a hand injury. Oban Celtic’s Ross MacMillan served the second game of his three match ban. Rory Bruce was still missing and Andy MacDonald was sidelined after suffering a calf injury in training. Peter Currie was back to boost the squad though and started.

The visitors created a couple of early chances. Daniel MacMillan had a rasping shot on 18 minutes which keeper Paul MacKay did well to get his stick to with the ball coming back off the post.

Ally McKerracher then went through and it took another good MacKay save to keep the match scoreless.

Fort William took the lead on 27 minutes. Arran MacPhee cut in from left to get onto a Lachie Shaw ball and MacPhee blasted home.
Ally McKerracher squeezed an effort past the post at the other end and it remained 1-0 until the break.

Another well-struck Arran MacPhee shot made it 2-0 10 minutes into the second half.

Arran MacPhee completed his hat-trick on 69 minutes. The home forward lines’ persistence prevented the Oban Celtic defence from clearing their lines and, when the ball broke to MacPhee around 15 yards out, he made no mistake.

Oban Celtic’s Neil Carmichael picked up a groin strain and finished the game playing full forward.

Whilst Arran MacPhee’s treble was significant, Fort William youngster Lachie Shaw had a terrific game and was unplayable at times.

This was a good game, with good shinty on display from both teams, keeping the An Aird crowd entertained throughout.

After the match, Oban Celtic assistant manager Les Kinvig said: ‘This was a marked improvement on how we played against Fort William in the league a few weeks ago and that’s what we’ve asked of the players.
‘We competed all over the park and both keepers had plenty work to do. With a rub of the green, we could have taken something from the game.
‘We hope to have Rory Bruce back for the trip to Bute in the Macaulay this Saturday but the tie might be too early for Andy MacDonald.’

Oban Celtic’s Ally McKerracher shields the ball from Fort William’s Lachie Shaw during last weekend’s Liberty Aluminium Balliemore
Cup tie at An Aird. Photograph: Neil Paterson.

Glasgow Mid Argyll 2
Skye Camanachd 0

Glasgow Mid Argyll scored a goal in each half to beat Skye Camanachd 2-0 in their 3pm throw-up at Yoker.

With the first half drawing to a close, Calum McLay neatly converted a re-bound, after keeper Morrison had initially saved from Garry Luke, to give the hosts the lead on 41 minutes.

Oliver MacRae sealed GMA’s passage to the next round with a well-taken, low finish after winning possession on 59 minutes.
Glasgow Mid Argyll now travel to face Taynuilt or Aberdeen University, who play their tie this Saturday, in the Balliemore Cup quarter-finals on Saturday May 25.

Bute 6
Ballachulish 0

Bute were too strong for Ballachulish, winning 6-0 in their 3pm throw-up at the Meadows.

Ian McDonald gave Bute the lead on 15 minutes and William Boag added a brace on 20 and 25 minutes, either side of a John MacCallum effort on 24 minutes.

William Boag completed his hat-trick five minutes into the second half and Craig Fisher got the sixth on 75 minutes.

Next up for Bute is a home tie against Fort William.

Aberdour 4
Beauly 1

Mowi South 1 side Aberdour pulled off the shock of the round as they beat National Division opponents Beauly 4-1 at Silversands.

David MacKenzie and Angus Thorburn scored twice for the hosts, with Jack MacDonald countering.

Col Glen 0
Strathglass 4

Strathglass scored two early goals to extinguish any chance of a cup shock against Col Glen at Glendaruel.

Scott Douglas did the damage, striking on four and eight minutes, before completing his hat-trick on the half-hour.

Ruari Strachan made it 4-0 five minutes before half-time.
Strathglass are at home in the next round against Inverness who got a first round bye.

Glenurquhart 7
Glengarry 2

Glenurquhart were too strong for Glengarry, winning 7-2 in their 3pm throw-up at Blairbeg.

The hosts were without injured trio Ally MacKintosh, Calum Smith and Michael Brady, whilst Neale Reid started on the bench. Glenurquhart defender Lachie Smith was also unavailable and he will also miss his side’s next match after passing through the disciplinary points threshold.
Glengarry had already lost 4-2 to Glenurquhart’s second team in a Mowi North Division 1 match this term and they were without influential skipper Rhuairaidh MacDonald who served a one-match ban.

However, Glengarry shocked their hosts when they took the lead on 10 minutes. Referee John Wood played advantage as Glenurquhart full back John Barr appeared to ‘kick’ the ball and Nick Dalgety swept it into the net.
James MacPherson drew Glenurquhart level on 14 minutes, scoring from the narrowest of angles after good lead-up play from Oliver Black and Connor Golabek.

MacPherson sent a rasping drive into the net on 34 minutes before Connor Golabek tapped home on 40 minutes to make it 3-1 at the break.
James MacPherson converted a penalty to complete his hat-trick on 48 minutes and Connor Golabek got his second three minutes later.
Nick Dalgety got his second to make it 5-2 on 73 minutes but a hat-trick goal from Connor Golabek on 78 minutes and a fourth from James MacPherson a minute later rounded off the 7-2 win.
Glenurquhart have home advantage in the last eight against Aberdour.

Strathdearn Cup – preliminary round

Lovat 6
Lewis Camanachd 1

The Lovat second team scored five times in the second half to beat Lewis Camanachd 6-1 in their 1pm throw-up at Balgate.

Mowi North Division 1

Caberfeidh 0
Fort William 3

The Caberfeidh colts went into their match against the Fort William colts at Castle Leod a point clear of Glengarry and the Lovat reserves at the top of the table.

Caberfeidh had Scott MacPhail at full back and Stuart Kryzanowski in attack, whilst Fort William duo David Wright and Duncan Stevenson were suspended.

Both teams had picked up good results of late so this was a much anticipated game.

Fort William got off to a great start as Davie Duncan won possession on the left and played the ball across the defence where Grant Disher hit a low drive which beat keeper Iain McCall inside his left post. Fort William created a good chance on 10 minutes when Davie Duncan again won the ball and found young Victor Smith, but his 20-yard shot went over the bar.

At the other end, Stewart Kryzanowski passed up a great chance five minutes later when he broke free 15 yards from goal but his shot went past keeper Stuart Disher’s right post.

Kryzanowski again found space 20 yards out but he failed to hit the target.
There was a great battle between Finlay Coleman and Davie Duncan throughout the first half and, with Sean Cameron influential in midfield along with the experienced Neil Clark, Fort William took their one-goal advantage into the break.

The pattern of play remained unchanged in the second half and, on 49 minutes, Sean Cameron found Donnie Walker, who had swapped positions with wing forward Davie Duncan because of a shoulder injury. Walker crossed from the left and Grant Disher sent the ball over the keeper and his second goal of the game made it 2-0.

Fort William went in search of a third and Victor Smith played a good one-two with Greig Kelly before shooting wide from 18 yards.
Caberfeidh created two good chances to get back in the game. The first was a neat passing move between Stewart Kryzanowski and Ruaraidh MacLennan and the latter’s shot was cleared off the line by Kyle Grant who played well as part of a solid Fort William defensive unit.

John Ritchie was picked out in the clear 14 yards from goal and he knocked the ball into the ‘D’ where MacLennan looked set to score but Sean Cameron nipped in to clear the danger.

Greig Kelly put the outcome beyond doubt on 80 minutes when he fired Fort William’s third goal past a helpless McCall in the home goal.

This was a fine Fort William performance, with Davie Duncan man of the match, followed closely by the experienced Sean Cameron.
Caberfeidh played well in stages but were not clinical enough in front of goal.

Finlay Coleman did well at right wing back, whilst Ruaraidh MacLennan worked hard throughout the 90 minutes.

Elsewhere, the Kingussie seconds beat the Kinlochshiel seconds 5-0 at the Dell, the Newtonmore reserves maintained their 100 per cent record with a 4-0 win over the Glenurquhart reserves at Blairbeg and the Inverness first team and the Skye seconds drew 3-3 at Bught Park.

Marine Harvest South Division 1

The Glasgow Mid Argyll seconds edged out the Inveraray seconds 3-2 in their 12.30pm throw-up at Yoker and the Kyles Athletic colts beat Tayforth 2-1 at Tighnabruaich.

Marine Harvest North Division 2

League leaders Lochcarron made it five wins out of five, maintaining their perfect start to the league season, as they beat the Kilmallie reserves 3-1 at Battery Park, whilst Strathspey Camanachd drew 3-3 with Boleskine at Grantown Grammar School.

Mowi South Division 2

Oban Celtic 1
Kilmory 2

The Oban Celtic second team gave a good account of themselves before going down 2-1 against second-placed Kilmory at Ganavan.

Fulton Ronald and John Hill both featured for the Oban side against the title contenders.

Kilmory’s Alister MacArthur scored the only goal of the first half on 25 minutes and Adam Johnston added a second on 70 minutes.
David MacInnes pulled an Oban Celtic goal back 15 minutes from time but, with Steven Gilmour in the Kilmory goal making some great saves, Kilmory stayed in front to take both points.

This was an evenly-contested match with lots of promising youth players on show for both sides.

Bute 2
Aberdour 3

The Bute colts staged an impressive comeback before eventually losing 3-2 to the Aberdour colts in their noon throw-up at the Meadows.

Ardnamurchan 0
Glenorchy 9

Glenorchy over-powered Ardnamurchan, winning 9-0 at Spean Bridge.
Conor Sartain scored four times, whilst Kieran MacKay and Murray MacKay bagged braces and Ryan Barclay got the other.

WCA round-up

The Mowi Valerie Fraser Camanachd Cup semi-finalists are known following the weekend Women’s Camanachd Association shinty action.

Mowi Valerie Fraser Camanachd Cup – quarter-finals

Ardnamurchan 0
Skye Camanachd 17

Last year’s beaten finalists Skye Camanachd were 17-0 winners against Ardnamurchan in a tie switched to Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Caitlin MacLean (1); Lorna MacRae (9); Jenna Beaton (1); Sarah Corrigall (4); Holly MacPhee (1) and Christina MacDonald (1) were the goalscorers.

Lochaber 4
Glenurquhart 2

Lochaber beat Glenurquhart 4-2 at Spean Bridge.
Sarah Fountain and Iris Erskine scored for Glenurquhart, but Amy Disher’s double and strikes from Mairi Duncan and Natalie MacDonald sent Lochaber through.

Strathspey 1
Aberdour 0

Arabella Kinnaird scored the only goal as Strathspey defeated Aberdour 1-0 at Grantown Grammar School.

Badenoch W/O
v Dunadd

Holders Badenoch received a walk-over when Dunadd were unable to field a team for their tie at the Dell. MacTavish Cup semi-final draw

The semi-final draw for the MacTavish Cup will take place today (Thursday May 2) at 11am at Bught Park, Inverness.

Lovat’s Jennifer Mair with Kinlochshiel’s Maree Mackenzie in action during their Mowi North Division Two match at the weekend. Photograph: Neil Paterson.