Fort now two years without a league win after Fraserburgh loss

FORT FC V FRASERBURGH 13/4/19 Fort’s Liam Taylor tackles Broch’s Greg Buchan. Picture Iain Ferguson, Liam Taylor Fraser No4

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Fort William 0
Fraserburgh 7
Highland League

Seven goals was the difference at a bright and breezy Claggan Park on Saturday as Fraserburgh brushed aside a youthful Fort William side, despite having four first-half goals disallowed.

The defeat now means that Fort William have not won a Highland League match in two years, a record which they hope to avenge in their two remaining home matches.

The visitors, on the other hand, playing their final match of the season, claimed all three points with five second half goals to consolidate a third place finish in the Highland League.

Scott Hunter makes a break up the pitch pursued by Broch’s William West. NO F16 Fort Fraserburgh 01

The match got looked to have gotten off to the worst possible start for Fort William as the Broch put the ball in the back of the net in the opening minute of play, only for the officials to rule the goal out. Fort William did not heed the early warnings, however, and just four minutes after kick-off defender Callum Fraser turned the ball into the back of his own net to put Fraserburgh 1-0 up.

This seemed to jolt the Fort defence into action and managed to hold out for 20 minutes. The visitors then had another goal chalked off for a handball  before they had yet another goal disallowed just minutes later.  Scott Barbour doubled the Broch’s advantage 10 minutes before half-time.

Fort William’s Josh Knowles tackles Broch’s Paul Campbell near his own goalmouth. 

Fort manager Russell MacMorran would be buoyed by the performance and was hopeful of a turnaround.

His hopes were dashed, however, when Sean Butcher made it 3-0 to the visitors in the 58th minute. His strike was followed up by Aiden Combe who scored a fine fourth goal for his team on the hour mark, which all but secured the win for Fraserburgh.

There was a silver lining for the Fort on Saturday as 16-year-old Kyle Dignan made his first appearance in the gold and black when he came off the bench to replace Ryan Henderson in the second half. Fellow under-17 player Sam MacKenzie also made a substitute appearance, his second this season. Manager MacMorran continues his policy of using the remaining fixture this season to blood some of the promising young talent in the youth ranks.

Fraserburgh finished off the scoring with strikes from Paul Campbell, Butcher and Combe to take the Broch’s tally to seven for the day.

Fort William remain bottom of the league on minus seven points following a points deduction earlier in the season for fielding ineligible players.

They are at home this Saturday to Forres Mechanics in the penultimate league match of the season.