Want to read more?
At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.
To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.
We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device. In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.
Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).
Plans to build a four-storey care home next to Hermitage Park in Helensburgh have sparked objections from people living nearby.
Almost 20 members of the public have contacted Argyll and Bute Council to lodge official objections to Simply UK’s plans for a former local authority depot on Sinclair Street, next to the town centre park.
The planned facility would include bars and a beauty salon, but residents submitting responses to Argyll and Bute Council’s website have concerns about access arrangements along with hedge and tree boundaries.
Richard Cullen said: ‘I and a number of other residents have consulted our title deeds and plans, and I wish to advise you that the hedges and trees running along the back of the terrace, bordering the grassed rear entry lane and forming the northern border of the depot site, is the property of the residents of Prince Albert Terrace, and does not constitute any part of the development site. As such, we would expect that any development maintains the integrity of the hedge and trees and has no impact on the border of our properties.’
There are also concerns about access, right of way and traffic.
A planning and access statement by Simply UK at the time of the application’s submission in March said: ‘The new care home aims to offer superior levels of care in luxurious surroundings and will provide residents with hotel-like services such as a beauty salon, bars, top class food and round the clock care, all set within a leafy and peaceful setting.’
The authority is expected to deliver its verdict on the proposals by April 24, although the number of objections lodged so far makes it more likely that the application will be decided by the council’s planning, protective services and licensing committee, rather than by officials.
That committee is next due to meet on Wednesday April 17, but with that being before the determination deadline, it may not be heard until Wednesday May 22.