Shinty round-up

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

The first cup action of the shinty season took place on Saturday March 30. MacTavish Cup – first round

Skye Camanachd 4
Fort William 1

Skye Camanachd beat Fort William 4-1 in their 3pm throw-up at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Padraig McNeil’s late goal earned Fort William a 3-2 win when the sides met in the league a week earlier.

Skye co-bosses Kenny MacLeod and Allan MacLeod allowed Ross MacKinnon to travel with the second team so Allan MacLeod went onto the bench.

Fort William co-managers Victor Smith and Adam Robertson travelled without Lachie Shaw, Alexander MacMillan, Sean Cameron and Ruaraidh Shaw.

Skye started with the wind but the game’s first sight at goal came at the other end when an early Jack Fraser shot forced a fine Ryan Morrison save with his caman, deflecting the ball away for a corner.

At the other end, Jordan Murchison lost his marker and spun round, but his flick went just wide of the post.

Ross Gordon and Will Cowie both twice went close, with James Pringle doing likewise, and there was a sense a Skye goal was coming.
It duly arrived on 27 minutes. Will Cowie won possession and found Ross Gordon. Gordon’s effort was blocked and Jordan Murchison took the rebound to his side before threading the ball home from a tight angle on the left to make it 1-0.

Skye were immediately forced to make a change as Will Cowie was withdrawn with a tight calf and replaced by Ian MacLellan.
Skye extended their lead on 50 minutes. The goal came from a set-piece as Jordan Murchison found Iain MacLellan who pushed the ball goalwards, squeezing it between keeper Paul MacKay’s right foot and the post.
MacKay came off his line to save well from James Pringle before diverting a Ross Gordon shot for a corner with his right foot.

It was MacKay again moments later, making a reflex stop to deny James Pringle following William MacKinnon’s corner from the left.
Skye brought Will Cowie back on at full forward, with James Pringle withdrawn.

Fort William needed to score next and they pulled a goal back on 67 minutes when Arran MacPhee, now pushed into attack, swept home at the second attempt following substitute Greg Kelly’s corner from the right.
Skye restored their two-goal cushion on 76 minutes. Paul MacKay saved from Jordan Murchison, but Iain MacLellan ran in from the left to bundle the ball over the line.

The goal knocked the stuffing out of Fort William and it was 4-1 a couple of minutes later. Will Cowie played the ball in from the left and Jordan Murchison, in a central position, had time to flick the ball in the air before hammering it past Paul MacKay to make it 4-1.
Frustrations grew and Fort William’s Mark Grant was sent off by referee Calum Girvan shortly after following a tussle with Jordan Murchison who was booked.

There were also bookings for Skye’s James Morrison and Fort William’s Lewis Morrison. Skye had a number of good performers including wing backs James Morrison and Martin Pringle whilst the midfield of Ally ‘Cleodi’ MacLeod, John Gillies and William MacKinnon showed great power.

Sean Cruickshank played well for Fort William, first in midfield and then in defence, and wing centre Lewis Clark was a tireless worker throughout.
Skye travel to take on Glenurquhart in the next round.

After the match, Skye co-manager Allan MacLeod said: ‘It was a tough game but, in the second half, we took our chances and that was the difference from last week.’

Opposite number Victor Smith added: ‘I thoroughly enjoyed the game and although we got over-run a bit at the end, at 2-1 I thought we were back in the game. We were a few short so we had to play Arran MacPhee in defence which meant we lacked a bit up front. Hopefully we’ll have a couple of players back next week for what will be a difficult game at Glasgow Mid Argyll.’

Caberfeidh 3 Lochaber 2

Caberfeidh had to work hard to eventually see off Lochaber 3-2 at Castle Leod.

Stuart Callison put Lochaber ahead on 22 minutes but Ryan MacKay on the half hour and Craig Morrison six minutes later had the hosts 2-1 ahead at the interval.

Pat Toal made it 2-2 on 69 minutes but, with 15 minutes remaining, Caberfeidh’s Kevin Bartlett got the winner.

Lochaber were left wondering what might have been had it not been for two early penalty saves from Caberfeidh keeper Ewan Pilcher.

Caberfeidh now have a quarter-final tie away to Kilmallie or Newtonmore who meet this Saturday.

Lovat 4 Kinlochshiel 1

Lovat were 4-1 winners against 2018 MacTavish Cup finalists Kinlochshiel at Balgate.

Lovat’s Lewis Tawse returned but was named as a substitute with manager Fraser Gallacher selecting an unchanged starting 12.

Kinlochshiel boss Johnston Gill had David Falconer and Keith MacRae back from injury and both started on the bench. Finlay MacRae was up front again so Donald Nixon continued at full centre.

Kinlochshiel, who lost 5-0 at the same venue on the opening day of the shinty season, got off to the best possible start. Kinlochshiel were awarded a free-hit in the centre circle just after the throw-up. Conor Cormack sent the ball into the ‘D’ and John MacRae raced in from the left and got to the ball ahead of the advancing Stuart MacDonald in the home goal to flick the ball into the net to make it 1-0 with just 25 seconds played.

Lovat levelled on 34 minutes. Marc MacLachlan gathered Craig Mainland’s free-hit and found Fraser Heath on the left. Heath picked out Graeme MacMillan whose strike was deflected to MacLachlan on the right and he cut the ball back to Greg Matheson whose first time shot beat Kinlochshiel keeper Stuart MacRae low to his right to make it 1-1.

With just a couple of first half minutes remaining, Greg Matheson got his second to put the hosts 2-1 up at the break. Graeme MacMillan’s corner from the left was deflected to Marc MacLachlan on the far side. Paul MacRae blocked MacLachlan’s shot, but his clearance went straight to Matheson who struck the ball first time, low across the keeper and into the net.
Lovat extended their lead on 73 minutes. Marc MacLachlan and Greg Matheson combined on the left and with Matheson’s shot saved with his feet by Stuart MacRae; MacLachlan was in quickly to turn home the rebound.

Lovat rounded off the win with five minutes remaining. The goal came following a Kinlochshiel hit-in. Marc MacLachlan and Calum MacAulay exchanged passes before MacAulay whipped the ball into the net from a central position.

Lovat can now look forward to a quarter-final tie at Kingussie.

Kinlochshiel’s Donald Nixon goes down in a challenge with Lovat’s Lorne MacKay. Photograph: Neil Paterson.

Strathglass P Inverness P

The tie between Strathglass and Inverness at Cannich was postponed as the funeral of Strathglass player Lawrence Jones had been held just 24 hours earlier.

Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup – first round

Col Glen 2 Ballachulish 3

Ballachulish edged out Col Glen 3-2 in their all-South Division 1 tie at Glendaruel.

Willie MacVicar gave Col Glen the lead on 10 minutes but Dougie Rankin drew the visitors level on 21 minutes.

Lorne Brown gave Ballachulish the perfect start to the second half when he scored within 60 seconds of the re-start.

They were only in front for four minutes, however, before Jamie MacVicar made it 2-2.

On 78 minutes, Conor MacGregor got the goal that sent Ballachulish through to the quarter finals where they will face Glasgow Mid Argyll at Yoker.

Col Glen’s Ian Wilson and Ballachulish’s Ally Banks were red carded by referee Robert Baxter.

Mowi Premiership

Kilmallie 0 Kyles Athletic 2

Kilmallie suffered their first defeat of the season, losing 2-0 to Kyles Athletic at Canal Parks.

Kyles went in front on 12 minutes through Ross MacRae. The goal came following a corner with MacRae netting from the edge of the ‘D’.

The match stayed in the balance until six minutes from time when Scott MacDonald cut the ball back and MacRae scored again from the edge of the box.

Kilmallie’s Craig MacIsaac tackles Andrew King of Kyles during last Saturday’s Mowi Premiership match.
Photograph: Iain Ferguson,

Inveraray 1 Kingussie 5

Kingussie now only trail league leaders Lovat on goal difference after they came from behind to beat Inveraray 5-1 at the Winterton.

The Inveraray supporters were given something to cheer when Garry MacPherson fired them into the lead on 16 minutes with a great shot.
However it was Kingussie, with stand-in keeper Rory MacGregor between the sticks, who knocked in three goals before the break.

Roddy Young levelled on 35 minutes and Ruaraidh Anderson put them in front a minute later.

Savio Genini made it 3-1 a couple of minutes before the break with a strike on his forehand from the edge of the box.

The in-form Genini, a player who really looks to have his ‘mo-jo’ back this season, complete his hat-trick with a volley on 64 minutes and another on 85 minutes when he won a 50-50 ball on the edge of the ‘D’.

Mowi National Division

Oban Celtic 5 Bute 4

Oban Celtic recorded their first win of the season when they beat Bute 5-4 in a thrilling match at Mossfield.

The Oban side had Ally McKerracher, Andy MacDonald and Lee Askew back, but Michael MacKinnon was missing and Neil Carmichael’s return from injury is still several weeks away. Ross MacMillan was free of suspension and he started in defence in place of MacKinnon.

Bute also had absentees and they travelled with just 12 players.
A large crowd created a great atmosphere and they were treated to an entertaining 90 minutes.

The hosts made a bright start and took the lead after 10 minutes. As Celtic broke forward, they were awarded a free-hit after Jamie

Forgrieve was pushed as he made a great run to get onto a ball at the back post. Forgrieve jarred his knee and although he was able to continue, he had to come off shortly after and was replaced by Jamie Anderson. The free hit was played to Ally McKerracher who took a touch and beat his man before rifling the ball home from 20 yards.

And it was the impressive McKerracher again on 14 minutes, this time shooting home after Andy MacDonald had won a throw-up 40 yards from goal following an accidental clash.

Bute responded immediately with Craig Fisher pulling a goal back a minute later. Oban Celtic keeper Jack Hill made a save with his feet but was left helpless when the re-bound was tapped in by Fisher.

Ally McKerracher completed his hat-trick to make it 3-1 on 24 minutes when he beat his man before scoring following a good run by Daniel MacMillan.

Bute fought back and Craig MacKay showed good movement on 27 minutes to get onto Iain McDonald’s free-hit which he blasted into the top corner of the net to make it 3-2 at the break.

Oban Celtic, with Andy MacDonald impressing at centre, had the better of the first half but the second period was a more even affair with the islanders switching John MacCallum to the middle of the park.

Bute drew level on 56 minutes with Iain MacDonald making it 3-3 following a hit-in from the left.

Bute took the lead for the first time with 20 minutes remaining.
Josh Cowan was credited with the goal but there was an element of good fortune as the visitors capitalised on a defensive slip. Oban Celtic keeper

Jack Hill made an initial save to his left with his feet but, as he turned to clear, the ball came off his foot into the net.

Oban Celtic’s response was positive as they pushed Ross MacMillan forward to join Ally McKerracher in attack with Jamie Anderson and Scott Mossman on the wings.

The hosts, with John Hill solid at the back, were denied a leveller when Bute keeper Kevin Queen made a brilliant save with his caman to keep out Ally McKerracher’s shot which was heading for the top corner of the net.

It was one of several fine Queen saves during the closing stages of the match.

Oban Celtic weren’t to be denied though and Ally McKerracher got his fourth goal of the game on 81 minutes.

Rory Bruce played the ball out of defence to George MacMillan.
He found Ross MacMillan who picked out McKerracher who scored to make it 4-4.

There was still time for a winner and it came from Ross MacMillan with four minutes remaining.

MacMillan played a one-two with Ally McKerracher before driving the ball home on the angle to win the game.

Speaking after the 5-4 win, Oban Celtic assistant manager Les Kinvig said: ‘The way we started the game was so encouraging.
‘Ally McKerracher was unplayable at times and it was unfortunate we weren’t able to have Ross MacMillan up front with him for the whole game. Andy MacDonald at centre and John Hill at the back gave us a really solid base to build on.’

A delighted Ross MacMillan after scoring the winner for Oban Celtic against Bute. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn.

Glasgow Mid Argyll 1
Glenurquhart 1

Glenurquhart missed the chance to top the Mowi National Division when they drew 1-1 with Glasgow Mid Argyll at Yoker.

GMA manager Mark Bain was without John Don MacKenzie who was on holiday.

Glenurquhart co-managers Stuart MacKintosh and Eddie Tembo travelled without five players including Ewan Brady, James MacPherson and Neale Reid.

The hosts made a bright start, with John Sweeney impressive, and took the lead on 21 minutes. The ball broke to Calum McLay who tussled with his marker before firing a shot into the back of the net.

The leveller came with 15 minutes remaining. The ball came to Connor Golabek from a hit-in and although GMA keeper Robert Dunnings got a hand to Golabek’s shot, the ball spun high into the net.

Mowi North Division 1

Glengarry 2
Glenurquhart 4

Ewan Brady inspired the Glenurquhart second team to a 4-1 win over former club Glengarry at Craigard.

The hosts opted to play against the wind in the first half but it was Glenurquhart who almost went ahead after five minutes when Ewan Brady found himself free on the left and sent a screaming shot goalwards which home keeper Gordon MacDonald saved with his stick and cleared to safety.

Glengarry took the lead on 11 minutes. Nick Dalgety got away from his marker Cameron MacKintosh, which did not happen too often in the game, and ran into the ‘D’ where he was obstructed by Euan Lloyd. Referee John Angus Gillies pointed to the spot and Raymond Robertson stepped up to strike the spot-hit high into the net.

The next chance fell to Ewan Brady and, from 20 yards, his shot went narrowly by the post.

Glenurquhart should have levelled on 23 minutes. Home keeper Gordon MacDonald came off his line in an attempt to clear a ball into the ‘D’.

However the ball fell nicely for Bradley Dickson who only had to tap the ball into the net but missed the target.

With young Finlay Ralston having a good game at full centre and Cameron MacKintosh denying Glengarry danger man Nick Dalgety any space, Glenurquhart levelled on the stroke of half-time.

Ewan Brady was fouled as Glenurquhart attacked but referee Gillies played advantage and Brady took a shot from 15 yards. Keeper MacDonald saved it but the re-bound fell inside the ‘D’ and Bradley Dickson had the simple task of knocking the ball into the empty net, atoning for his earlier miss.

Glenurquhart took the lead a couple of minutes into the second half.
Finlay Ralston ran from the halfway line, riding a couple of tackles with advantage again played, before flicking the ball past Matthew Ross and young Lewis MacDonald found space outside the ‘D’ to slam the ball past the helpless keeper.

The visitors increased their lead on 75 minutes when the skilful Ewan Brady won the ball 25 yards out and hit a perfect shot into the top corner of the net.

Glenurquhart went 4-1 ahead from the throw-up. Lewis MacDonald won the ball on the right from the centre and played an inch-perfect ball towards Donnie MacLennan, who proved a handful for Matthew Ross since his introduction 10 minutes before the break. MacLennan turned Ross and hit a low shot past the keeper on his right side.

The game began to get feisty and Bradley Dickson and Stuart Sloss were both booked.

Glengarry scored their second goal on 87 minutes when the Glenurquhart defence failed to clear the ball and Ruthven Goudie-Hamilton sent an 18-yard shot past the keeper to make the final score 4-2.

Cameron MacKintosh was influential for Glenurquhart, shadowing Nick Dalgety, whilst full centre Finlay Ralston was man of the match.
Euan Brady was strong and skilful up front for Glenurquhart, whilst Euan Lloyd was solid at full back.

Glengarry’s Rhuairaidh MacDonald was one of few Glengarry players who showed the required level of urgency over the 90 minutes.

Elsewhere in the league, Daniel Morrison’s hat-trick helped the Skye Camanachd second team to a 4-2 win over Aberdeen University at Balgownie.

The Kingussie colts beat the Fort William colts 3-0 in a match switched from An Aird to the Dell midweek.

Newtonmore reserves, the reigning champions, got their season under way with a 4-1 victory over an under-strength Lovat reserves at the Eilan.

The match between the Kinlochshiel seconds and the Caberfeidh seconds was postponed on Friday as Kirkton was unplayable.

Mowi South Division 1

Kyles Athletic 3
Inveraray 0

The Kyles Athletic second team got their season under way with a 3-0 triumph over the Inveraray second team at Tighnabruaich.
Jack Whyte got the opener, with Luke Thornton adding a double.
Elsewhere in the league, Aberdour were too strong for the Glasgow Mid Argyll second team, winning 6-1 at Silversands with David McDougal and Alec Mitchell getting hat-tricks.

Mowi North Division 2

Strathspey Camanachd 5
Kilmallie 0

Strathspey Camanachd beat the Kilmallie second team 5-0 at Grantown Grammar School.

Martin Ross scored on 27 minutes and again on 30 minutes to give Strathspey an early advantage and Arron McBain’s goal on 42 minutes made it 3-0 at the break.

Dane MacPherson added a fourth on 77 minutes with Martin Ross completing his hat-trick three minutes later.

Elsewhere in the division, Gregor Cushnie scored twice as Lochcarron won 4-3 against the Inverness seconds at the Bught Park and Duncan Anderson sent the Beauly reserves on their way to a 3-1 victory over Lewis at Braeview Park.

Boleskine’s match against the Strathglass second team at Smith Park was postponed.

Mowi South Division 2

Bute 3 Ardnamurchan 1

Ben Clarke scored twice as the Bute colts defeated Ardnamurchan 3-1 at The Meadows.

Ian Crawford got the other with Ardnamurchan’s Craig MacDonald countering.

Oban Celtic P
Aberdour P

The match between the Oban Celtic seconds and the Aberdour seconds at Ganavan will be re-scheduled.

WCA round-up
Mowi National Division

Glenurquhart 5
Ardnamurchan 0

The league’s two newly-promoted sides, Glenurquhart and Ardnamurchan, met at Blairbeg.

Goals from Claire Hannon (2), Donna Mackenzie, Hazel Hunter and Abi Stoddart gave Glenurquhart a 5-0 win.

Mowi North Division 2

Skye Camanachd 5
Lochaber 2

Skye Camanachd Ladies second team beat Lochaber’s second team 5-2 at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree. Abby MacLean scored all five goals, with Claire Delaney and Carla Berardelli replying. Lochaber had Ann Cameron and Jean Campbell playing their first game for the side.

Glengarry 5
Kinlochshiel 4

The match between Kinlochshiel and Glengarry was switched from Kirkton to Craigard with Glengarry running out 5-4 victors.

An Eilidh MacInnes hat-trick and a goal from Isabelle MacKenzie counted for Kinlochshiel but Leona Falconer’s double and strikes from Isla Mackay, Elaine Cameron and Nikki Grant gave Glengarry the win.

Inverness 1
Fort William 5

Fort William were 5-1 victors against Inverness at the Bught Park. Zoe Smith and Leah Maxtone hit doubles with Beth MacDonald getting the other. Amber Mackay got the Inverness goal.

Strathglass 1 Lovat 5

Lovat beat Strathglass 5-1 at Cannich. Freya Strachan netted for the hosts but Fiona Urquhart’s hat-trick and Holli Sneddon’s double gave Lovat the points.

Mowi South Division 2

Oban Lorn 0
Ardnamurchan 7

Hannah MacDonald capped a terrific performance by scoring all seven goals as the Ardnamurchan second team won 7-0 at Oban Lorn.

Dunadd 13 Tayforth 1

Dunadd beat Tayforth 13-1 at MacRae Park. Eilidh Cameron was the weekend’s top scorer with ten goals. Grace Drummond grabbed a hat-trick and Rosie Holligan got the other.