Argyll and Bute HSCP launches mental health Facebook page

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Argyll and Bute Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) has launched a mental health Facebook page to publicise health and wellbeing.

The social media page will also include information, tips and advice along with signposting to digital resources for people and their carers.

Recent statistics highlight that approximately one in four people in Scotland will experience a mental health problem each year and that means more than 20,000 people in Argyll and Bute will be affected.

Nicola Gillespie, The HSCP’s local area manager for mental health, said: ‘I am really pleased that the Health and Social Care Partnership is expanding its use of social media such as Facebook. This is an excellent platform to reach more people in our rural communities and will also be helpful to share awareness of mental health problems and reduce the stigma.

‘The HSCP’s Mental Health Facebook page (@mentalhealthargyllandbute) is overseen by HSCP staff and only provides health and wellbeing information that is trusted and readily available on the NHS inform website and national mental health organisations and partners. This means that people accessing the service can be assured of the accuracy of the information they view.

‘This is really important as more and more people are using online methods to access information on a range of health services, including mental health, and it is really important that the websites they access provides trusted and accurate information.

‘It is also important to highlight that the Facebook page is not an alternative for people seeking professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment on any personal or family mental health situations. People should always seek the advice of their own GP, psychiatrist or other qualified health and social care professionals with any questions they may have regarding a mental health or other medical condition.’