Ten-hour rescue operation for Oban lifeboat crew

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Oban’s lifeboat crew were called to rescue a large crab fishing vessel after it broke down west of Iona.

The Mora Edith MacDonald was launched at the request of the UK Coastguard after the stricken boat suffered mechanical failure.

It had a full catch on board so the full power of Oban’s Trent class all weather lifeboat was needed to make sure the vessel was towed safely back to Oban.

The lifeboat left Oban at 12.20pm on Wednesday January 9 with five volunteer crew to make the long journey out to the edge of the station’s operating area.

The crab fishing vessel had initially been taken in tow by another fishing vessel and towed south east to a rendezvous point some 14 nautical miles west of the Isle of Iona.

The tow was quickly transferred to the lifeboat at 2.15pm and the vessel arrived back in Oban about seven and a half hours later.

The fishing boat was taken alongside the South Pier, with the help of the local Coastguard Rescue Team. The entire service was close to 100 nautical miles.

By the time the lifeboat was refueled, washed down and made ready again for service the crew had been at sea for over ten hours.