House fire ruins Oban family’s Christmas

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?

 

Subscribe Now

An Oban family’s home has been ‘utterly destroyed’ in a fire just days before Christmas.

Yesterday (Thursday December 20), Iain and Julie Muir’s home caught fire, ruining their clothing, furniture, appliances – and their little boy Rhys’s Christmas presents.

Speaking to The Oban Times, Julie said she saw the fire ‘starting to go’, but was unable to stop it.

‘I managed to get Rhys out of the house,’ she said. ‘And one of my neighbour’s saw me panicking and phoned the fire service.’

Speaking about the extent of the damage, Julie, said: ‘My clothes are gone completely, I don’t have anything left, neither does Iain.

‘We have lost everything basically – everything in my kitchen is gone.’

Julie said Rhys, three, has no idea what has happened and keeps asking to go home and for his red Clark shoes.

‘I went to get them and they were wrecked,’ Julie added.

The family will be staying with relatives until the start of January and after that they will have to stay in a hotel until the house is habitable.

‘I can’t believe it happened,’ the Oban mum said. ‘But everyone has been lovely.’

A fundraising page has since been set up by Peter MacMillan and more than £2,095 has been raised so far.

Mr MacMillan wrote: ‘The festive period is a time for celebrating, spending time with family and friends and is the season of good will.

‘Last nigh,t December 20 2018, Iain, Julie and Rhys’s house caught fire in Oban. Unfortunately their home, clothing, furniture and Christmas presents have been utterly destroyed as a result of the fire.

‘This page has been set up to raise as much funds as possible to help Iain and Julie rebuild their beautiful home and hopefully help to save their Christmas and New Year.

‘Any and all donations welcome, many thanks in advance and merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.’

A spokesperson for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that firefighters did attend a house fire at Laggan Road, Oban.

They added: ‘Two resources attended initially to reports of a dwelling fire. The fire was extinguished.’

To donate visit: https://www.facebook.com/donate/2339161562983843/