Scottish Cup tie switched to Oban

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Oban Saints
East Kilbride Thistle
Scottish Cup – fourth Round

For the second consecutive Saturday a waterlogged pitch at the Murray, East Kilbride forced the postponement of last weekend’s scheduled Scottish Amateur Cup fourth round clash between East Kilbride Thistle and Oban Saints.

Following a recent review of the competition rules, Saints now become the first beneficiaries of a revision to rule eight which now requires just two postponements before a tie can be reversed where previously three were required.

The game is now scheduled for a 2pm kick-off at Glen 2 on Saturday. The club had the the all-weather pitch at Oban High School booked as a back up to make sure the game went ahead but due to no janitor cover Argyll and Bute council have cancelled all lets at the school.

East Kilbride Thistle began their Scottish Amateur Cup campaign with a local derby against Claremont of Scottish Amateur Football League Premier Division One. After going in level at the break, the Jags had to come from behind to edge out their hosts by three goals to two.

In the second round, Thistle had home advantage for the visit of Greater Glasgow Premier Amateur Football League Division Two strugglers Helensburgh. The men from Argyll’s struggles continued when they were routed 6-1 at Ballerup.

The third round draw saw Thistle paired with Braehead of the Glasgow and District Saturday morning Football League Premier Division.

Both clubs were delighted to stick with their customary 10am kick-off at Drumoyne, in the shadow of Glasgow’s new Queen Elizabeth Uni-versity Hospital, where the East Kilbride men saw off the challenge of their Renfrew-based opponents by four goals to two.

The Saints management duo of Donald Campbell and Willie Gemmell will be looking for a positive reaction from their charges, whom they hope will bounce back immediately from their league set-back and keep their Scottish Amateur Cup hopes alive until after the Christmas and New Year fixture shutdown.

Saints commenced their Scottish Cup campaign with a tough away game against Central Scottish League Division 1A side Gartcosh Unied.

The Oban side recovered from losing an early goal but counters from Lewis Cameron, Craig MacEwan and James Ford gave the D & K Lafferty-sponsored Oban outfit a 3-1 lead. Gartcosh pulled a goal back in injury time but Saints held out to win 3-2.

St John’s from the Perthshire Amateur Football Association were the visitors at Glen 2 for the second round but the Perth boys wee no match for Saints who ran out comfortable winners by nine goals to one. Scoring for Saints were James Ford, two, Lewis Cameron, two, Donald Campbell, Craig MacEwan, Fraser MacFarlane and two own goals.

Round three saw Saints make the long trip to Forfar to take on high-flying Lowson United from the Midlands AFA but a superb hat-trick from Lewis Cameron was enough to see the Oban outfit into the fourth round.

Unlike almost every other cup competition in amateur football the Scottish Amateur Cup includes replays therefore a re-match will follow in East Kilbride on January 5 if the two sides cannot be separated after 90 minutes.

In the fifth round the victors will be faced with the long journey to Rothienorman, deep in the Aberdeenshire countryside, to face Rothie Rovers of the Aberdeenshire Amateur Football Association Premier Division, the most northerly club left in the competition.

In charge of Saturday’s proceedings is experienced referee Thomas Gilchrist of the Caledonian League.