Fort undone by three quick-fire second half goals

FORT V WICK Andy Martin Picture Iain Ferguson,

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Fort William 0 – 3 Wick Academy

Highland League Cup

Three goals in seven second half minutes proved just enough for mid-table Wick Academy to beat Fort William on Saturday after the home side put in a dogged defensive display at Claggan Park in the league cup.

Despite the score being goalless at half-time, the Fort defence got caught in the headlights as Wick scored three goals in less than ten minutes to secure the win, although the eighth-placed side were made to work for their cup win.

It was Academy who had most of the early possession and displayed some nice linking play. They managed two early shots on goal but Fort ‘keeper Kulbacki was able to hold them easily.

After 25 minutes, Fort William engineered a chance of their own as a poor Wick clearance found Gary Carroll whose shot from distance forced a save from the keeper.

With a few minutes to go before the break, Wick’s Gary Manson had a chance to open the scoring but his effort was straight at the keeper once again.

With the scores level at half-time, the Fort were gaining confidence and remained hopeful of grabbing a result.

Wick began to turn the screw, however, and chances came as Jack Halliday and Davie Allan tried again to beat Kulbacki, but were unable to do so.

As the game ebbed and flowed, Sean Grant worked the ball into some space on the edge of the box but his shot didn’t trouble the Wick goalkeeper.

Just after the hour mark, the breakthrough finally came and it was Halliday that got it for the visitors and within just five minutes, Wick’s lead was doubled by a Richard Macadie effort and in a flash the Fort’s hopes were dashed. Still reeling, the home side were unable to stop Davie Allan from finally getting on the scoresheet and round-off the three-goal spree for Academy.

As the Fort tired under the Claggan floodlights, Wick were able to hold on to their clean sheet and secure progress to the next round.

They can look forward to a match against a resurgent Rothes side this Saturday at Claggan Park for a 2pm kick-off.



Photos: Iain Ferguson,

Andy Martin and Darren Quigg see the ball out of the play. NO F47 Fort Wick 01

The Fort’s Calum Browett skips past two defenders. NO F47 Fort Wick 02

Andy Martin takes no risks with a hefty clearance. NO F47 Fort Wick 03

Fort William’s Aiden Taylor retains possession. NO F47 Fort Wick 04