Teams pitch in with shinty and football

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Dunoon Amateurs 0
Glasgow Island 3

By 3pm on Saturday the weather had become decidedly damp, having rained since early morning.

The ladies shinty match had been moved to Dunoon Grammar School, so Dunoon Amateurs lined up to take on Glasgow Island on the Black Park, already soggy underfoot by kick-off.

Not to be put off by a little rain, the players fully committed themselves to the match, the spark of competition still aglow.

Glasgow Island put themselves two goals to the good in the first half as an understrength Dunoon Amateurs toiled on home turf.

The highlight of the game came in the second half when the Glasgow Island goalkeeper gathered the ball to stifle another Dunoon attack.
Seeing no options for short passes, he laced the ball up field out of hand.

One devilish bounce later it ended up in the Dunoon net, leaving the Amateurs red faced and the Island keeper celebrating the unlikeliest of goals.

There was a noticeable sigh of relief when the full-time whistle was blown and the players retired to MacClures Bar in Dunoon for the prizegiving.

Mòd Shinty Trophy
Col Glen 3 Inveraray 6

Inveraray and Col Glen lined up at Dunoon Stadium to compete for the Mòd Trophy.

Heavy rain continued throughout the afternoon, but a small, hardcore crowd of spectators stuck it out, huddling together in the main stand for warmth.

Col Glen began the brighter of the two teams, but went behind when they switched off in defence.

Going a goal down seemed to galvanise them and in the latter part of the first half they were unstoppable, firing in three unanswered goals to go into the break 3-1 up. The second half belonged to the Fynesiders who grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and did not let go. A rapid double put them level and they piled in with more goals as Col Glen lost their way.

The final score of 6-3 was perhaps a little harsh on Col Glen but a nine-goal thriller pleased spectators. The trophy was presented to the winners after the match.

Ladies Mòd shinty

Cowal and Bute Ladies 1
Oban Ladies 5

Oban Ladies put Cowal and Bute to the sword on Saturday afternoon with a convincing 5-1 win.

The match was moved from Dunoon Stadium to Dunoon Grammar School’s all-weather pitch to make room for the Mòd football match later the same day and Oban adjusted better.