Lorne Ladies hit top form in Greenock

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Sunday saw Oban Lorne Ladies travel yet again, this time to Greenock Wanderers, a team currently sitting mid table. Having won four out of four the ladies were hungry for another win to add to their league success.

Oban’s first try came just a few minutes into the game with a powerful run from centre Erika Scofka, who was on fire during the match with some great lines and unstoppable speed. Fly half Lucy Stewart converted to bring the score to 0-7.

Quick off the mark scrum half and all round ‘pocket rocket’ Audrey Barr was next under the post after an impressive pick-and-go off the back of the scrum around the five-metre line. Again the kick was converted by the reliable foot of Lucy Stewart.

Ellie MacNiven was replaced on the pitch due to a leg injury by Ailsa Murray, who was playing her first game for Oban Lorne Ladies.

Tries followed in quick succession from Erika Skofca, Lucy Stewart (two) and Audrey Barr.

Some great footwork from Eilidh Shearer along with support from captain Laura MacCormick and fellow flanker Ailsa Maclachlan meant Shearer was able to touch down under the posts. Stewart’s conversions were on point as she converted 10/10 throughout the game.

The half time whistle blew and Oban were leading by 0-49.

There was more of the same in the second half with outstanding runs from Oban, using their quick hands and speed to dominate the game.

Greenock came back with some huge hits and seemed to have more to give in the second half but this was not enough to overpower the strong ladies in green.

Tries from Erika, Audrey and Lucy again forcing their way over the try line.

Captain Laura MacCormick was replaced for a short period by Samara Croft while she received treatment for a shoulder injury. This meant scrums were uncontested due to no front row. Croft played well with some good support play along side Claire MacPherson and Liz Comer – the girls’ teamwork showed how hard they have worked in the months prior. MacCormick returned to the pitch for the ending minutes before Greenock called time 10 minutes early following injuries to a couple of their players. ‘Had enough,’ stated one of their players as the ref called time with a final score of 0-70.

Oban ladies are sitting firmly at the top of the table with a points difference of 236 for and only 18 against, they have their first home game of the season this Sunday to Howe of Fife, 2pm kick off. Supporters are welcome as the ladies aim to make it six from six in what promises to be a great match.