Rampage man banned from Coll

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

A drunk holidaymaker who went on the rampage on Coll after arriving at its bunkhouse a week early has been banned from the island for two years.

David Masters, 39, of Flat 14, Cawdor Place, Shore Street, Oban, pleaded guilty to assaulting two men by punching one on the head and kicking the other on the leg, at An Cridhe, Isle of Coll, on April 19, 2017.

Masters also admitted recklessly damaging property by throwing a stone and breaking a window and, later, at the Isle of Coll Hotel, when he struck pool cues off the pool table, causing them to break, and throwing an e-cigarette at a window, smashing it.

Sheriff Patrick Hughes had deferred sentence for reports, which, Oban Sheriff Court heard on Tuesday, highlighted Masters’s ‘significant mental health problems in the past and a history of offending’.

Solicitor Tony Bone said: ‘I hope to persuade your lordship to step back from custody. He has previously had two custodial sentences, which have not had the desired effect. The issues Mr Masters has to confront are being confronted by the people who support him.’

Mr Bone said Masters had been volunteering in the Hope Kitchen in Oban, where he was spoken of very highly. ‘Mr Masters is extremely apologetic and remorseful. He does not want to diminish the hurt or harm caused.’

Sentencing, Sheriff Patrick Hughes said: ‘The main problem you have is alcohol. This is a matter for which you could receive a custodial sentence. I am going to offer you an alternative.’

Sheriff Hughes ordered Masters to carry out 175 hours of unpaid work over 12 months and pay compensation of £1,050. He also imposed a restriction of liberty order, keeping Masters in his home from 7pm to 5am daily for six months, and banned him from entering the Isle of Coll for two years.