Kilmallie lift Balliemore Cup

Kilmallie captain Liam Macdonald with the Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup. Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup Final - Kilmallie v Glasgow Mid Argyll - played at An Aird, Fort William.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Newtonmore reached the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup semi-
final, Lovat made progress in the Marine Harvest Premiership and Kilmallie lifted the Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup following the shinty action on Saturday July 14.

Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup final

Glasgow Mid Argyll 2
Kilmallie 3

Kilmallie lifted the Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup with a 3-2 victory over Glasgow Mid Argyll at An Aird.
Kilmallie took the lead on 37 minutes. An Innes Blackhall corner from the Kilmallie right came in on goal and Kilmallie keeper Robert Dunnings turned the ball away with his caman. The ball fell for Michael Rodger on the Kilmallie left and he struck the ball on the half volley. Keeper Dunnings made a magnificent save, diving full-length to his left but the GMA defence were unable to scramble the rebound away and Calum MacDougall took advantage to score from close in.
However, Calum Mclay ensured the sides would go into the break on level terms when he equalised on 43 minutes. Mclay was played in by Garry Luke, just on the edge of the D, and he stroked the ball low past Shane Gillies, beating the keeper on his left side.
Innes Blackhall put Kilmallie back in front on 55 minutes when his shot from the right took a bounce, deceiving the keeper.
Calum MacDougall got his second on 64 minutes. Liam MacDonald battled for possession against three GMA defenders wide on the Kilmallie left. The ball broke to Innes Blackhall who swept it into the D. Keeper Dunnings came off his line to save with his legs but MacDougall was quickly in to send the rebound into the net on his left side.
It was an important goal as Garry Luke turned home a rebound on 71 minutes to make it 3-2.
As GMA pressed hard for a leveller, veteran Iain Robertson was excellent at the back for Kilmallie.
Kilmallie captain Liam MacDonald was presented with the Balliemore Cup in front of a delighted Kilmallie support.
Iain Kennedy was the match referee.
Speaking after the final, Kilmallie manager Mark MacPherson said: ‘We are just all over the moon following the win. The players deserve this for all the hard work they put in, sacrificing time away from their families to train and play.
‘I must also say that the sponsor Liberty British Aluminium did us all proud with the evening reception. It was first class with the players from both sides all mixing well.
‘Our focus now will just be on this Saturday’s league game with Inveraray so I don’t want to hear any talk of the Camanachd Cup tie against Newtonmore or anyone else. We’ll need to be at our best to beat Inveraray and that match will get our full attention.’

Tulloch Homes
Camanachd Cup
– quarter-finals

Kinlochshiel 2
Newtonmore 4

Newtonmore secured the remaining Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup semi-final spot when they beat Kinlochshiel 4-2 at Kirkton.
Newtonmore got off to a good start and they looked in control from when Drew MacDonald gave them a 15th minute lead. MacDonald hit a low drive from 15 yards out which evaded keeper Scott Kennedy.
Glen MacKintosh made it 2-0 on 29 minutes and he followed that up four minutes later with a contender for goal of the season. With the ball bouncing towards MacKintosh, he knocked it round full back Paul MacRae before spinning the other way and then rounding the keeper and hitting the ball into the empty net to make it 3-0 half-time.
Michael Russell added a fourth on 66 minutes. Russell had by this time moved back to full centre. A ball was crossed in to the danger area and with Evan Menzies having tucked it to the full forward position, which left the back post area completely clear and Russell had plenty of time to set himself up before shooting goalwards. Keeper Kennedy got a touch but the pace of the ball took it into the net.
That made it 4-0 and the game was over as a contest.
Newtonmore made a few changes and perhaps took their eye off the ball on a couple of occasions and ’Shiel took advantage with Oliver MacRae on 70 minutes and John MacRae on 83 minutes making the final score 4-2.
Newtonmore will now face Kilmallie in the first Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup semi-final at An Aird on Saturday July 28. Lovat and Kingussie meet in the second semi-final at the Bught Park a fortnight later. Both semi-finals will be broadcast live on BBC Alba.

Marine Harvest Premiership

Lovat 2
Oban Camanachd 1

Lovat drew level on points with league leaders Newtonmore and second placed Kinlochshiel after a double from substitute Lewis Tawse gave them a 2-1 win over Oban Camanachd at Balgate.
Lovat are proving to be a bit of a bogey team for the Oban side, winning a number of recent games by a 2-1 margin with their opponents deserving of at least a point but there was little sign of that when Andrew MacCuish gave Camanachd a ninth minute lead. They were playing against the wind when the ball broke to MacCuish, who took on a defender before sending a back-hand strike into the corner of the net.
Lovat’s best chance of a leveller came when Marc MacLachlan anticipated that the high ball would go over Scott MacKillop and he ran goalwards but was unable to connect with the ball properly.
The first real threat on goal in the second half came from Malcolm Clark who struck a powerful shot from distance but Lovat keeper Stuart MacDonald did really well to save with his hand and he got the ball away before the lurking Andrew MacCuish could profit.
Lovat brought on Lewis Tawse for Thomas Fraser early in the second half and his introduction helped change the game. Tawse levelled on 54 minutes but there was an element of fortune about the goal as a Lovat shy from around 40 yards out dropped into the danger area. There was a melee and Tawse hit a bouncing shot goalwards with his effort taking a deflection. Oban Camanachd keeper Cameron Sutherland stretched low to try to keep the ball out with his hand but missed it. The keeper turned to try to stop the ball going into the net but was unable to get it away and the ball seemed to cross the line in slow motion.
Lovat’s Greg Matheson had the ball in the net on the hour but play was brought back as referee Archie Ritchie had just blown for an infringement in Lovat’s favour.
Lewis Tawse looked really lively and he put Lovat ahead on 64 minutes, hitting the ball home on the run. The goal came from an Oban Camanachd shy taken by Garry Lord who had been marking Tawse. The shy sliced away to Greg Matheson and he played in the unmarked Tawse whose shot went high into the net with the keeper getting a touch with his caman but the ball skimmed into the net.
For all Oban Camanachd had dominated the first half and the opening minutes of the second half, Lovat were now right back in it.
Stuart MacDonald made a good save a couple of minutes later, using his body to keep out a point-blank Andrew MacCuish effort.
The Scotland goalie also did well to keep out a Daniel MacCuish effort, getting his hand to the ball and he also thwarted Willie Neilson.
A booking for Oban Camanachd’s Scott MacMillan means he will likely miss the forthcoming league meeting with Kingussie. However, Craig MacDougall should return this week.
So it stays tight at the top of the table although Lovat have now played 12 matches while both Newtonmore and Kinlochshiel have completed 10 games.

Skye Camanachd 3
Lochaber 3

Lochaber came from 3-1 down to draw 3-3 with Skye Camanachd in their relegation four-pointer at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.
Skye got off to a great start, taking the lead after just three minutes. Skye won possession from a Lochaber shy and Ruaraidh MacLeod collected the ball on the left before surging forward and sending it across goal where James Pringle hit the ball on the run into the net.
Stuart Callison, Shaun Nicolson and Callison again had efforts on the Skye goal with home keeper Iain MacLeod equal to anything on target.
Lochaber keeper Alistair MacDonald just got his right thigh to a James Pringle effort, turning the ball around the post and Skye’s Ally ‘Cleodi’ MacLeod went close from the resultant for a corner.
Despite Lochaber’s pressure, it was Skye who extended their lead a minute before the break. Ruaraidh MacLeod sent the ball high into the net from a central position, firing the ball over the keeper’s left shoulder. The goal came following a Stewart Grant shy which Will Cowie played on to MacLeod and he finished well.
Lochaber made a change at the interval with Ben Delaney, making his first senior appearance of the season, taking over from his brother Danny at full forward.
The visitors made a lively start to the second period and they pulled a goal back on 48 minutes. Ryan Johnstone did well to get the ball forward to Ben Delaney and he found Shaun Nicolson, who made enough space to turn the ball home.
Skye weathered the storm, though, and they had the chance to regain their two-goal cushion on 55 minutes when referee Martin MacLean penalised a ‘kick’ inside the D after Lochaber failed to clear a Stewart Grant free-hit which went low into the danger area. Will Cowie gave the keeper no chance, sending the penalty low into the net to make it 3-1.
Shaun Nicolson and Ben Delaney were causing the Skye defence problems and Stuart Callison set up a grandstand finish when he made it 3-2 on 77 minutes. Findlay MacDonald won possession and sent the ball down the right to Ben Delaney. Shaun Nicolson gathered Delaney’s low cross and he slipped the ball to Callison, who thumped it home from a central position at the edge of the D.
When Brennan MacDonald brought down Will Cowie as he got away 20 yards from goal, the Lochaber man was shown the game’s only yellow card. However, Skye lost possession from the free-hit and Lochaber broke forward. Findlay MacDonald passed to Ben Delaney, who picked out Conor Sweeney who crossed from the right. Shaun Nicolson shot goalwards and Iain MacLeod looked to have made a great save with his foot but the goal judged flagged, signalling that the keeper’s foot was off the ground and referee Martin MacLean pointed to the spot. The pressure didn’t get to Shaun Nicolson as he sent the penalty over the keeper’s right shoulder to make it 3-3.
There was just enough time to restart the game and the Lochaber camp were the happier with the outcome.
The point was enough to take Skye off the bottom of the table on goal difference at Glenurquhart’s expense with the Glen having played three games more than the islanders. Lochaber were the main beneficiaries, though, moving four points above the relegation zone having played two games more than Skye.

Glenurquhart 2
Kingussie 3

A James Hutchison goal three minutes into stoppage time gave Kingussie a 3-2 win over Glenurquhart on a baking hot day at Blairbeg.
There were few chances during the opening period, although there was a lot of good play around the midfield area.
However, Fraser Heath broke the deadlock on 15 minutes when he received a good ball from Connor Golabek, who was already prominent at full centre, and Heath turned his marker on the right before firing a shot high past the helpless Craig Dawson in the Kingussie goal.
Kingussie found an equaliser on 19 minutes. Ruaridh Anderson did well as he took down a ball from Savio Genini and he slotted a neat pass to James Hutchison who unleashed an 18-yard shot which went low past the keeper at his left post to make it 1-1.
The Glen almost regained the lead on 23 minutes when Eddie Tembo collected a clearance on the Glen right and he hit a pass to the far side where Fraser Heath turned his man and played the ball across the Kingussie defence to Connor Golabek on the right and he hit a great shot which went by the keeper’s right post.
Kingussie went back on the attack and Alexander Michie played the ball forward from his own half. James Hutchison won possession, parrying the ball down to Rory MacGregor and he hit the ball on the half-volley from 20 yards. MacGregor’s low strike took a wicked bounce in front of Glen keeper Stuart MacKintosh and went into the net off the goalie’s chest.
Fraser Heath got his second to draw Glenurquhart level on 33 minutes. Connor Golabek played the ball into the heart of the Kingussie defence where, finding James MacPherson and he took the ball down before slipping it to Fraser Heath around 20 yards out and he drove the ball into the top corner of the net to make it 2-2.
Kingussie created the final chance of the half. Referee John Angus Gillies awarded the visitors a free-hit, penalising Lachie Smith for a push in the back on Fraser Munro around 20 yards from goal. Munro took the free-hit himself and he picked out James Hutchison, who sent a powerful shot by the keeper’s right post.
Kingussie made two changes for the start of the second period with the experienced Lee Bain at buckshee back and youngster Roddy Young in attack both coming off the bench.
It didn’t take Roddy Young long to make his mark and, on 51 minutes, he took the ball down and dribbled past a few defenders before seeing his shot deflect off Lachie Smith’s caman for a corner.
Kingussie created an opportunity on 57 minutes when Roddy Young made a good run down the right but he was taken down by Cameron MacKintosh as he headed towards goal. The challenge earned the Glen defender a yellow card, taking one for the team.
Ryan McWilliams gathered a clearance out of the Glen defence on 63 minutes and he beat a couple of players before sending a 20-yard shot narrowly wide of the keeper’s right post.
The Kings put a lot of pressure on the home defence during the last 10 minutes of the match and, on 85 minutes, Alexander Michie played a perfectly weighted pass to Ruaridh Anderson who shot goalwards but a diving Lachie Smith challenge deflected the ball to safety.
The winning goal came in the third minute of stoppage time. Rory MacGregor, by now back on the field, sent a pass from the left into the D where James Hutchison pounced to hit the ball past the keeper to make it 3-2.
John Angus Gillies blew for time from the restart.
The win means Kingussie draw level on points with fifth-placed Oban Camanachd and they have a game in hand. Their experience up front was invaluable with Fraser Munro and James Hutchison very pleasing on the eye at times, coupled with the youthful exuberance of Ruaridh Anderson and Roddy Young. Alexander Michie also played well in defence and then midfield.

Kyles Athletic 5
Caberfeidh 1

Kyles Athletic returned to Tighnabruaich for the first time this season and they marked the occasion with a 5-1 win over Caberfeidh.
Kyles settled into the game with a goal on four minutes. There was a scramble in the goal area where Colin MacDonald fought for possession with Caberfeidh keeper Ewen Pilcher and defender Blair Morrison and it was actually Luke Thornton who got the final touch to put the hosts ahead.
Luke Thornton got Kyles and his second on eight minutes. Sandy MacKenzie played the ball across from the left wing forward position to Luke Thornton, who smashed a shoulder-high volley past the Cabers keeper from 15 yards.
Kevin Bartlett made it 2-1 on 13 minutes when he latched onto a loose ball in defence and carried the ball forward before thumping it past John Whyte from a central position.
However, Kyles restored their two-goal cushion on 42 minutes to make it 3-1 at the break. Former Skye Camanachd man Neil MacVicar, playing in attack, switched play from right wing forward to Sandy MacKenzie at left wing forward and he rifled the ball past keeper Pilcher from 18 yards.
Grant Irvine got in on the act on 55 minutes. A ball forward from midfield was brought out of the air by Colin MacDonald who slipped it out to the right wing forward position to the onrushing Grant Irvine who swept the ball across the keeper into the right-hand side of the net.
Sandy MacKenzie put gloss on the win with a rather fortuitous effort on 62 minutes. MacKenzie turned full back Blair Morrison and as keeper Pilcher came out to clear the ball, it rebounded off MacKenzie into the net.
Donald Irvine was superb for Kyles while Grant Irvine was an instrumental figure at full centre.
Caberfeidh did not perform at the levels seen when they took shinty’s top flight by surprise in the earlier part of this season.

Marine Harvest National Division

Inverness 1
Beauly 3

The bottom two sides in shinty’s second tier met at the Bught Park where Beauly defeated Inverness 3-1.
Callum Flynn gave Beauly the lead on 10 minutes and Jack MacDonald made it 2-0 on 20 minutes.
And that is the way it stayed until 10 minutes from time when Dougie Rankin pulled Inverness back into the game.
However, Callum Flynn got his second just four minutes from time to give Beauly a 3-1 win.

Marine Harvest North Division 1

Aberdeen University 1
Newtonmore 5

The Newtonmore second team collected another two points when they beat Aberdeen University 5-1 at Balgownie.
Calum Stewart scored the only goal of the first half with his strike coming on the half-hour mark.
Craig MacLeod got ’More’s second a couple of minutes after the restart but Aberdeen’s Donnie MacRae scored for the third successive match to make it 2-1 with 49 minutes on the clock. However, a burst of three goals in seven minutes put Newtonmore out of sight.
Calum Stewart completed his hat-trick with efforts on 67 and 70 minutes and Dylan Rendall added a fifth on 74 minutes.

Glengarry 4
Kingussie 5

The Kingussie seconds came from 3-0 down to beat Glengarry 5-4 at Craigard.
Glengarry raced into a 3-0 lead with Raymond Robertson scoring on 14 and 30 minutes, either side of a Nick Dalgety strike on 24 minutes.
Kevin Thain, in his second match since taking charge of the side for the month of July, pulled a goal back a couple of minutes before the break and he then made it 3-2 within a minute of the restart.
Ryan Borthwick completed the Kingussie comeback when he made it 3-3 on 53 minutes.
Glengarry got themselves back in front on the hour mark when Raymond Robertson completed his hat-trick.
However, Ryan Borthwick turned the match Kingussie’s way when he also grabbed a hat-trick with goals on 76 and 78 minutes to leave the Kings 4-3 ahead.
It was a tousy match at times and the defeat is a blow to ’Garry’s title chances as they now trail the Newtonmore second team by four points although they have a game in hand.

Marine Harvest South Division 1

Lochside Rovers 3
Taynuilt 1

The meeting between Lochside Rovers and Taynuilt at Mossfield was brought forward to Friday July 13 at Taynuilt’s request.
Taynuilt keeper Brian Logan was called into action after just two minutes. Lochside full centre Michael MacQueen let go with a fine back-hand effort but the keeper made a great save.
Brian Logan was again called upon shortly after when he denied Scott Robertson.
Taynuilt were awarded a penalty on 22 minutes when Scott Dempster ran into the D but went down under a challenge and, with the goal judge flagging, referee Des McNulty pointed to the spot. Dempster picked himself up to score from the spot to give Taynuilt a deserved 1-0 interval lead.
Lochside manager Gareth Evans made changes at half-time and, coupled with the introduction of Keith MacMillan early in the second half following the completion of his work shift, the Oban side looked a much better prospect in the second period.
Lennon Campbell restored parity on 61 minutes when he got onto a neat Keith MacMillan ball from midfield and he sent a 30-yard shot bouncing into the net.
Lennon Campbell got his and Lochside’s second on 70 minutes when a long Keith MacMillan ball from deep found Michael MacQueen, who ran away from goal before playing an excellent reverse pass to Lennon Campbell and he fired low into the net from around the penalty spot.
Michael MacQueen rounded off the 3-1 win on 75 minutes when he sent a head-height shot into the net from a short free-hit.
Taynuilt were hungrier in the first half but the changes won the match for Lochside with Keith MacMillan and Keith Burnett their start turns.
Lochside’s league match against Tayforth this Saturday at Mossfield will be a noon throw-up, allowing the players to watch the Artemis Macaulay Cup semi-final between Oban Camanachd and Kyles Athletic, which takes place later in the afternoon.

Ballachulish 0
Kyles Athletic 1

Title hopefuls the Kyles Athletic second team march on, beating Ballachulish 1-0 at the Jubilee Park.
Balla’s Cain MacPhee was free of a one-match ban while Kyles were without Luke Thornton, who was on first team duty.
The only goal of the game came on 19 minutes and it was a superb strike from Martin MacFadyen, whose 25 yard piledriver from the middle of the park gave the keeper no chance.
Balla had the chance to level on 35 minutes when referee Callum Duff awarded them a penalty, penalising a kick inside the D. Lorne Brown took the penalty and he struck the ball well enough but his effort was superbly saved by Kyles keeper Douglas Nicolson.
It was one of a number of great stops by the Kyles custodian.
Kyles have a five-point lead over second-placed Bute although they have played a game more.

Bute 4
Aberdour 1

Bute scored three times in the final third of the game to defeat Aberdour 4-1 in their 12.30pm throw-up at The Meadows.
James Craig gave Bute the lead after just five minutes and that proved to be the only goal of a tight first 45 minutes during which Bute goalie Kevin Queen saved well from David MacKenzie, tipping his effort over the bar.
Referee Robert Baxter pointed to the penalty spot when Ruairidh Reid was wiped out inside the D, taking a stick across the knees, when he looked set to equalise. Angus Thorburn struck the penalty well but Kevin Queen made a brilliant save to keep his side in front.
The visitors were awarded a second penalty shortly after when Roddy MacColl was felled inside the box. Angus Thorburn stepped up again but this time he didn’t catch the ball as he would have liked and his effort went past the post.
The penalty misses were a blow for Aberdour but Bute took advantage and, with some good running and quick passing, they went on to score three more times.
Robert Walker made it 2-0 on 65 minutes and Iain McDonald added a third with 15 minutes remaining.
Chris Lawrence made it 4-0 on 80 minutes although there was some consolation for Aberdour when Ruairidh Reid finished well a couple of minutes later. Angus Thorburn battled to get the ball to Reid and his powerful strike from just outside the D gave the keeper no chance.
Bute were sharper on the day and they deserved the win but the final scoreline was a little harsh on Aberdour in what was only their second league defeat of the season.
Bute now leapfrog Aberdour into second place in the league on goal difference and the islanders have a game in hand.

Kilmory 1
Inveraray 4

MacRae Park was in perfect condition to host the local derby between Kilmory and the Inveraray second team.
Referee Alex MacVicar had a busy afternoon and David Macpherson was first into the book for a cynical challenge on Sandy Leiper.
It wasn’t long before Leiper joined him, yellow carded for a late swing on his fellow winger, young Ruaraidh Graham.
Duncan MacBrayne was next to fall foul of the official for persistent infringing.
In between all the yellow cards, Alister MacArthur was dictating the play from the Kilmory defence with young Hamish MacLennan doing the same for Inveraray and the first half ended scoreless.
Inveraray came out the traps the quickest in the second half. A long-range effort from David Macpherson was easily saved by the Kilmory keeper but Neil Campbell was quickest to react and slot the rebound home to open the scoring on 48 minutes.
Inveraray added a quick second following a well-worked set-piece routine on 56 minutes. Euan McMurdo’s free-hit found Campbell Watt, whose movement caused the Kilmory defence problems all afternoon, and he made 2-0 with fine finish.
The goal sparked life into Kilmory who pulled one back on 65 minutes when Hal Jones blasted home an unstoppable shot from the edge of the penalty area to make it 2-1 and it was game on.
After getting themselves back in the game, Kilmory’s discipline let them down soon after with both Duncan MacBrayne and Sandy Leiper receiving their marching orders from referee MacVicar within minutes of one another.
Inveraray capitalised on their two-man advantage and former Kilmory player David MacAllister scored his first goal for his new club on 69 minutes to make it 3-1.
Euan McMurdo finished the day’s scoring off with a well-constructed goal to make it 4-1 with 15 minutes remaining.
Inveraray will be happy with their first league win of the season while Kilmory will be disappointed with the result and the fact that they will be missing two influential players over the weeks to come.

Col Glen 2
Tayforth 1

Col Glen edged out Tayforth, winning 2-1 at Glendaruel.
Conor Kennedy gave Col Glen the advantage with goals on 20 and 25 minutes.
Kennedy’s first goal came when he picked the ball up in the half forward position, touching it round his marker before running it up the line, past another defender, slipping the ball through his legs, and then smashing a shot across the goal, aiming for the far corner, and the ball went in off the far post, nestling in the side-netting.
Conor Kennedy got his and Col Glen’s second just five minutes later. A cross from the wing was missed by a defender and the keeper and Kennedy was on hand to slot the ball into the bottom corner of the net.
Ewan Menzies halved the deficit on 66 minutes but Col Glen stayed in front to take the points.
Tayforth played the whole game with just 10 players and Niall MacPhee at full back kept them well organised.

Marine Harvest North Division 2

Caberfeidh 2
Strathspey Camanachd 3

Strathspey Camanachd were surprise 3-2 winners again the Caberfeidh colts at Castle Leod.
Cabers took the lead in the second minute when Colin MacLennan set up Ruairidh McCreadie to score.
The hosts continued to press and but they weren’t able to add a second until a couple of minutes before the break. Colin MacLennan was again the provider with this time Jamie Matheson applying the finishing touch.
Strathspey started to come more into the game and Donald Colville pulled a goal back on 51 minutes.
The visitors drew level just four minutes later with Aaron MacBain on target.
It took some good goalkeeping from Caberfeidh’s Iain McCall to prevent Strathspey going in front although Cabers also had good opportunities.
One of these came from the penalty spot with around 10 minutes remaining but Jamie Matheson sent the spot-hit over the bar.
And they were made to pay when Donnie Ross grabbed the winner for Strathspey with just a couple of minutes remaining.

Lochcarron 4
Lochaber 1

Lochcarron were 4-1 winners against the Lochaber colts at Battery Park.
Lachie Campbell got the Lochaber goal but a Niall Arnott double and efforts from Peter MacKenzie and Liam Arnott gave Lochcarron the win.
With Caberfeidh losing, Lochcarron now go second in the table, three points behind leaders Lovat.

Lewis Camanachd 4
Strathglass 3

Lewis Camanachd survived a late Strathglass seconds comeback to record a valuable 4-3 win at Shawbost.
Lewis took the lead on six minutes with Donald Lamont scoring. The ball was half cleared out of the Strath defence and Lamont managed to drive it into bottom corner of the net from 30 yards out.
The home side doubled their lead on 36 minutes. The goal came from a Scott MacLeod shy which was flicked on to Ruairidh MacMillan and he powered the ball home from the edge of the D.
It got even better for the hosts on 48 minutes when Crisdean MacRae, from midfield, made a late run and volleyed home a Peter Gomez cross.
Strathglass pulled a goal back on 71 minutes with Colin Birnie scoring.
However, Lewis went back on the attack and their fourth goal, just a couple of minutes later, was a real team effort with all four forwards involved in a passing move which culminated in Donald Lamont getting on the end of a low Peter Gomez cross. Lamont’s first touch knocked the ball high past the defender before he volleyed home from the edge of the box to make it 4-1.
It was a very windy day and Strathglass, with the elements in their favour in the second period, put Lewis under intense pressure towards the end with Colin Birnie completing his hat-trick with goals on 76 and 80 minutes.
However, Lewis held on and they have now already amassed their highest ever points tally.
This was a close affair but Lewis were that bit more clinical in front of goal.

Boleskine 3
Inverness 0

Boleskine beat the Inverness second team 3-0 at Smith Park.
Former Inverness player William MacKinnon scored twice with Stuart MacRae, who also previously played for the Highland capital side, getting the other.

Beauly v
Lovat W/O

Lovat seconds stay top of the division after their walk-over against the Beauly seconds at Braeview Park.
This derby meeting did not go ahead as the Beauly colts were unable to raise a team so they have been deducted a point.

Marine Harvest  South Division 2

Bute P
Strachur P

The noon throw-up between Strachur and the Bute second team up at The Meadows was postponed.

Semi-final venues settled

The venues for the Bullough and Strathdearn Cup semi-finals were decided by the toss of a coin at the Camanachd Association offices on Friday July 13.
In the Bullough Cup, Glenorchy won home advantage with their tie against Lochside Rovers going ahead at Mart Park.
In the other semi-final, the Kyles Athletic second team have home advantage against Strachur.
The Fort William seconds won the right to host the Skye Camanachd seconds at An Aird in the Strathdearn Cup semi-finals.
The winners from the quarter-
final tie between the Newtonmore reserves and Strathspey Camanachd will have home advantage against the Kingussie second team.


Wednesday July 13

South Division One
Lochside 3 v 1 Taynuilt

Saturday July 14

Camanachd Cup third round
Kinlochshiel 2 v 4 Newtonmore

Balliemore Cup Final
Glasgow MA 2 v 3 Kilmallie

Glenurquhart 2 v 3 Kingussie
Kyles Athletic 5 v 1 Caberfeidh
Skye 3 v 3 Lochaber
Lovat 2 v 1 Oban Camanachd

National Division
Inverness 1 v 3 Beauly

North Division One
Aberdeen Uni 1 v 5 Newtonmore
Glengarry 4 v 5 Kingussie

South Division One
Col Glen 2 v 1 Tayforth
Kilmory 1 v 4 Inveraray
Ballachulish 0 v 1 Kyles Athletic
Bute 4 v 1 Aberdour

North Division Two
Beauly P v P Lovat
Lovat unable to field a team,
points to Beauly
Boleskine 3 v 0 Inverness
Lewis 4 v 3 Strathglass
Lochcarron 4 v 1 Lochaber
Caberfeidh 2 v 3 Strathspey

South Division Two
Bute P v P Strachur
Tie to be rescheduled


Saturday July 21

Artemis Macaulay Cup semi-final
Oban Caman v Kyles Athletic – 3pm  at Mossfield Park, Oban
Lovat v Kinlochshiel  at Braeview, Beauly

Marine Harvest Premiership Lochaber v Glenurquhart
Caberfeidh v Kingussie – 3pm
Skye v Newtonmore

Marine Harvest National Division
Fort William v Strathglass
Glasgow MA v Inverness
Kilmallie v Inveraray

Marine Harvest
North Division 1
Fort William v Aberdeen Uni – 3pm
Newtonmore v Glengarry
Glenurquhart v Skye

Marine Harvest
South Division 1
Ballachulish v Kilmory
Lochside Rovers v Tayforth – Noon
Kyles Athletic v Bute
Inveraray v Col Glen

Marine Harvest
North Divison 2
Boleskine v Strathspey
Caberfeidh v Strathglass – Noon
Lochaber v Kilmallie – Noon

Marine Harvest
South Division 2
Glasgow Mid Argyll v Bute – Noon
Strachur v Aberdour

(All throw-ups 2.30 unless stated)