Shinty round-up

The victorious Oban Camanachd team. Kyles Athletic v Oban Camanachd in the Celtic Society Cup Final, played at Taynuilt.

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish)

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Oban Camanachd won the Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup for the first time since 2005 and Kinlochshiel and Lovat will meet in the Artemis Macaulay Cup semi-finals following the shinty action on Saturday June 30.

Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic
Society Cup Final

Kyles Athletic 0
Oban Camanachd 2

Oban Camanachd lifted their first senior trophy since 2005 when Andrew MacCuish’s double gave them a 2-0 win over Kyles Athletic in the Scottish Sea Farms Glasgow Celtic Society Cup Final at the Taynuilt Sports Field.

A sizable crowd gathered in great anticipation as the south’s top two sides contested one of shinty’s most famous trophies.

The players were piped onto the field on a beautiful afternoon and the pitch looked in excellent condition, if a little scorched in places following the recent hot weather, but the ball mostly sat up nicely on a neat cushion of grass.

The sides had already met once this season when Scott MacMillan cancelled out Robbie MacLeod’s opener in a 1-1 league draw.
Kyles have had a grip on this trophy in recent years and were going for six successive successes.

The match was broadcast live on BBC ALBA and was a repeat of last year’s final which Kyles won 3-1.

The big team news was that the shoulder injury suffered by Kyles Athletic talisman Roddy MacDonald in the league draw with Lovat the previous weekend ruled him out. Manager James Perlich was also minus defender Donald Irvine who had work commitments. Grant Irvine started at full centre.

Oban Camanachd manager Ian Hay received a triple boost as Malcolm Clark (eye), Lorne Dickie (nose) and Daniel Sloss (ankle) all declared themselves fit after suffering knocks in the previous weekend’s league draw with Glenurquhart.

Referee Ross Brown got his first major final under way and Oban Camanachd started with a breeze in their favour.

Oban Camanachd felt they didn’t turn up in last year’s final so Ian Hay’s side were determined to make a good start to this one and they did just that.
John Whyte had to come off his line to get to a Malcolm Clark corner from the left ahead of Andrew MacCuish at the expense of another corner. Indeed Oban Camanachd forced four corners in quick succession after keeper Whyte had saved Scott MacMillan’s low shot with his feet and the Mossfield men already looked a better bet than last year.

Kyles Athletic defender Andrew King was spoken to for an enthusiastic swing of the caman. At the other end, when Kyles attacker Sandy MacKenzie stopped Scott McKillop clearing, the ball broke to Gordon Whyte but his shot went wide of target.

A dangerous ball in from Malcolm Clark came off Callum Miller’s caman and sliced back across the face of goal and the ball could have ended up anywhere.

It was probably important for Oban Camanachd that they scored first in this match and they did so from the resultant corner, taken by David Lafferty on their right. Andrew MacCuish darted forward to take the ball down at the front post, inside the ‘D’, and he volleyed past John Whyte to open the scoring. Kyles claimed for offside but referee Ross Brown waved away their claims.

Five minutes later, when Dunkie Kerr was first to a Malcolm Clark hit-in from the left, the ball fell for Daniel MacVicar but John Whyte got a foot to MacVicar’s low shot to turn the ball past his right post.

Grant Irvine shot high and wide and a low cross from Scott MacDonald from wide on the left was just too far in front of Irvine as Kyles tried to get back in the game.

Oban Camanachd went back on the attack and Daniel MacVicar knocked down a corner but the ball dropped just the wrong side of the post.

There was a 60 second water break just before the 28 minute mark.
Scott MacDonald struck a 25 yard shot wide but play was mainly towards the Kyles goal and Oban Camanachd doubled their lead on 33 minutes. As Daniel MacVicar and Cammy Keith battled for the ball, Andrew MacCuish nipped in to play a pass along the ground to Aidan MacIntyre on the left.

MacCuish hovered at the edge of the ‘D’ and timed his run into the box perfectly to turn MacIntyre’s low cross into the net to notch his second goal of the game, making it 2-0 to Camanachd. Kyles again claimed offside but again their claims were in vain.

As the first half moved into stoppage time, Oban keeper Cameron Sutherland did well to palm down a lofted Robbie MacLeod ball from wide on the left of midfield. The keeper played the ball out for a corner and although Kyles finished the half with a flurry, it was Oban Camanachd who took a 2-0 lead into the break.

A couple of minutes after the re-start, Sandy MacKenzie cut into the ‘D’ but his shot lacked power and Cameron Sutherland saved with his feet before playing the ball out for a corner despite being knocked over by Grant Irvine in his attempt to get to the re-bound.

Kyles were more in the game now and they forced a series of corners but the Oban Camanachd defence showed great determination to clear their lines.
Kyles had by now pushed Grant Irvine forward and this gave them more threat. Oban Camanachd made the first substitution of the final just after the hour with Daniel MacCuish taking over from David Lafferty at wing centre.

Oban Camanachd’s two-goal hero Andrew ‘Papa’ MacCuish with the Celtic Society Cup.

It wasn’t just the temperatures that reached boiling point on 65 minutes. Andrew King and Andrew MacCuish clashed as they battled for possession and the Kyles man kicked out in frustration and was shown a straight red card by referee Ross Brown.

Andrew MacCuish almost went clean through on goal moments after but was penalised for his challenge on Callum Miller.

Cameron Sutherland saved well with his feet from Robbie MacLeod after good initial play from Sandy MacKenzie.

Neil MacVicar then pushed forward from the Kyles defence and drove a shot from distance just wide of target and the players then broke for another water break.

Kyles were enjoying their best period of the game and Oban Camanachd took the chance to bring on Willie Neilson for Aidan MacIntyre.
There was another flare-up straight from the restart as Robbie MacLeod was accidently hit on the top of the head by Malcolm Clark’s trailing caman. Malcolm Clark was booked for his part in the aftermath.

Kyles made their first substitution with just under 15 minutes remaining as Innes MacDonald took over from Dunkie Kerr.

Cameron Sutherland again saved well with his feet, this time from Grant Irvine before Ross MacRae replaced Robbie MacLeod.

Kyles continued to press and when Grant Irvine made enough space to turn, keeper Sutherland made another good stop with his feet.
The Oban goalie then used a foot to deny Innes MacDonald before foiling Irvine once more with his feet.

Malcolm Clark came off and Chrissy MacMillan came on and immediately launched a high ball goalwards which was volleyed away in spectacular fashion by keeper John Whyte as it dropped into the ‘D’.

Daniel MacCuish was booked for a swing which caught Grant Irvine on the knee. It was a sore one but the Kyles man was able to continue.
Willie Neilson sent a shot from wide on the right across goal giving the Oban defence a welcome break in the process.

With four minutes remaining, Cameron Sutherland again stood between Kyles and a goal when he used his caman to keep out a lofted Innes MacDonald ball from the middle of the park and Grant Irvine just couldn’t direct the ball goalwards from the rebound.

Over the piece, Oban Camanachd started well, won more of the 50-50 balls, defended as if their lives depended on it and had a match winner in Andrew MacCuish. They saw out the remainder of the final, including two minutes stoppage time during which Aidan MacIntyre came back on for Lorne Dickie.

Speaking just after the final whistle, Andrew MacCuish said ‘We are so used to being runners-up when we get to finals but this is just unbelievable to get a result like this and take the cup back to Oban. Everyone played their part and it just shows what we can do with a full team available.’ Keeper Cameron Sutherland added: ‘This gives us great momentum for the upcoming Macaulay semi-final against Kyles.’

Oban Camanachd teenager Daniel Sloss with his delighted grandfathers, Peter Sloss, left, and Peter MacArthur after being awarded the Donald J MacNiven medal for his man of the match performance in
the final. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn.

The Donald J MacNiven medal for man of the match went to young Oban Camanachd defender Daniel Sloss who said: ‘We’ve not won anything for a long time and to come into the side and win in my first final is great.’
Oban captian Daniel Cameron stepped forward to receive the Glasgow Celtic Society Cup from sponsors Scottish Sea Farms.

The sides meet again in just over a fortnight in the Artemis Macaulay Cup semi-finals with Kyles also still to host a league encounter.

Oban Camanachd manger Ian Hay reflected on the game and on a piece of history. ‘It’s our first senior trophy since 2005 so some might say it’s about time. We have been knocking on the door for a while so it’s good to finally get a trophy.

‘After all our injuries you could see just what our full squad can do. We were caught out last year when Kyles were quicker out of the blocks and our plan this year was to stay tight on them. Everyone had to work hard all over the park and when Papa scored two good goals, it gave us a cushion. I know there were calls for offside. I’ve not seen the goals again but sometimes these things go for you and sometimes they go against you.

‘We knew Kyles would come back at us in the second half. After the sending off, we used Garry Lord as the spare man at the back to protect our lead. If we had been behind then we would have handling it differently but it worked for us. We introduced Willie Neilson to try and hold the ball up front and we saw the game out well.’

Lorne Dickie and Thomas Whyte take a tumble during the Glasgow Celtic Society cup final at Taynuilt on Saturday. Photograph: Neil Paterson.
Artemis Macaulay Cup – quarter finals

Kinlochshiel 1
Kingussie 0

Kinlochshiel edged out Kingussie 1-0 in their 3pm throw-up at Mossfield.
The first chance of the game came early in the match with Scott Kennedy diving to his right to make a football style save, palming a James Falconer strike round the post. Rory MacGregor hit the side netting following the resultant corner.

The remaining 39 minutes of the first half was devoid of goalmouth action during which Kingussie took off Rory MacGregor in favour of Ryan Borthwick and Kinlochshiel replaced Duncan ‘WD’ MacRae with Fraser MacVicar.

Kingussie brought on Ruaridh Anderson for James Falconer at half-time and Anderson certainly livened up their attack. Kinlochshiel played up the slope in the second half and Scott Kennedy had to palm away a Lee Bain ball from the middle of the park at the expense of a corner.

A Ruaridh Anderson shot from the right seemed to come off the base of the post five minutes into the second period.

Anderson then ran from right to left but his shot across the keeper went marginally wide.

Robert Shiells did well to deal with an Ally Nixon shot and Jordan Fraser sent the re-bound over the top.

Kingussie went back on the attack and Lee Bain sent a strike from distance across the face of the goal.

John MacRae’s persistence paid off as got a shot at goal but his effort went just by the keeper’s left post.

Robert Shiells stretched to keep out a Jordan Fraser effort after a swift passing move with no-one able to get to the re-bound.

Kinlochshiel thought they had taken the lead when Donald Nixon thumped a terrific shy towards the Kingussie goal and the ball dropped into the roof of the net. However referee Archie Ritchie blew with the ball in-flight, ruling that Duncan Matheson was offside.

You got the sense a Kinlochshiel goal was coming and it duly arrived seconds later. John MacRae hit an initial 25-yard shot which Robert Shiells saved. The ball broke to the keeper’s right and he came off his line to try and get the ball away. However Kinlochshiel full centre Finlay MacRae had pushed forward and he gathered the ball and held off a couple of challenges before playing it across goal and into the net, off the far post from the tightest of angles, to make it 1-0 with 69 minutes played.

Ryan Borthwick sent a 27-yard effort past the junction between post and bar to the goalie’s left as Kingussie tried to get level.

Ruaridh Anderson then just failed to steer a Lee Bain cross from the left goalwards as Kingussie pressed.

There were late claims for a Kingussie penalty but referee Archie Ritchie awarded a corner after consulting with goal judge Ally MacLeod.
Kinlochshiel saw out the closing stages. They have their ‘free Saturday’ this week which gives them the chance to shorten their injury list.

Mark MacDonald was very solid in the Kinlochshiel defence and Finlay MacRae again proved he can make the difference when his side are struggling to make the break-through.

Kingussie’s Robert Mabon did well against John MacRae, whilst Alexander Michie turned in another classy performance, especially considering he played the second half with a thigh strain.

Lovat 5
Glenurquhart 0

Lovat will play Kinlochshiel in the Artemis Macaulay Cup semi-finals after they beat Glenurquhart 5-0 at Balgate.

Glenurquhart looked the more dangerous side from the start and dominated the opening 20 minutes.

Connor Golabek came deep to get possession on three minutes and ran forward to the right before shooting. Stuart MacDonald was forced to palm the ball away for a corner as it looked as if it might go inside his post.

At the other end, Marc MacLachlan used hardly any back-lift as he shot goalwards but the ball came off the post and, shortly after, he sent another effort just wide of the keeper’s left post.

Lorne MacKay started to take control of the centre line and the tide began to turn Lovat’s way and they went in front on 24 minutes. Stuart MacKintosh used his stick to save a Lewis Tawse shot from distance but Duncan Davidson ran in and he shyed the ball down and it bounced on the surface, over the keeper’s leg and into the net.

Graeme MacMillan added a second on 30 minutes when he turned his man on the Lovat right and his shot on his left side evaded the keeper to double Lovat’s lead.

Marc MacLachlan was proving a real handful for Glenurquhart full back Ally MacKintosh and he got in front of his marker on 43 minutes and knocked on a high ball over his head for Duncan Davidson to run on to and he notched his second goal of the tie to make it 3-0.

A minute later, Michael Fraser made a good run and Fraser Heath slipped in a terrific pass but although Fraser showed great composure as he guided the ball past the on-rushing keeper from just inside the ‘D’, the ball went just the wrong side of the post.

Lovat substitute Thomas Fraser played a ball over Ally MacKintosh on 72 minutes. Stuart MacKintosh sprinted off his line to get to the dropping ball but Marc MacLachlan got their first, taking the ball in the air to make it 4-0.
The final 15 minutes was bad tempered at times and Marc MacLachlan got his second goal a minute from time. Greg Matheson touched the ball in the air and MacLachlan stretched highest to knock the ball down into the ground with enough pace on the ball to send it into the net.

There were good performances from Lovat’s Daniel Grieve against Fraser Heath, whilst Lachie Smith stood up to the challenge against Greg Matheson. Connor Golabeck and Calum Smith showed up well as did Lorne MacKay who dominated in midfield for most of the game. Marc MacLachlan was brave up front and deserved his two goals for his efforts.

Lovat now face Kinlochshiel in the Artemis Macaulay Cup semi-finals with Kyles Athletic and Oban Camanachd meeting in the other last four tie.

Marine Harvest National Division

Fort William 6
Beauly 0

A devastating first half performance earned Fort William an emphatic 6-0 win over Beauly at a baking hot An Aird.

This was the second league meeting between the sides this season as goals from Elliot Moir and Daniel Lamont gave Beauly a 2-0 win at Braeview Park three weeks ago.

The An Aird pitch was in tip-top condition and the hosts made the stronger start, taking the lead after three minutes. A long pass from Lachie Shaw found Arran MacPhee on the left who sent an inch-perfect pass to Victor Smith who hit the ball on the volley from 20 yards out, sending it inside the post.

Fort Willaim could have extended their lead a couple of minutes later when a long ball from Sean Cameron found Jack Fraser on the left of the ‘D’ with only the keeper to beat but he hit the side-netting.

Beauly struggled to get the ball into the Fort William half and they went two goals behind on nine minutes. Arran MacPhee played the ball to Jack Fraser who turned his marker before sending the ball back to MacPhee who slammed a shot past keeper Josh Grant from 15 yards out.

Young Victor Smith almost got his second when he spun away from his marker, but he shot wide from 18 yards.

Arran MacPhee scored his second on 34 minutes. MacPhee gathered a good ball from Sean Cameron and turned his marker before sending a 20-yard shot screaming past the keeper, high on his right side.

Fort William continued to press and substitute Greig Kelly, who came on with JD MacMaster following a water break, got to the ball 15 yards out and struck the ball low to the goalie’s left.

JD MacMaster scored the goal of the game on 43 minutes. MacMaster ran onto a clearance from the Beauly defence and hit a 30-yard piledriver which would have reached his home village of Ardnamurchan had the net not stopped it.

Beauly were pleased to hear the half-time whistle which allowed the chance to re-group.

The second half didn’t hit the same heights, which is understandable given the heat, and chances were few and far between.

Connor Ross shot wide of the keeper’s right post on 65 minutes.

Lachie Shaw, who worked tirelessly in midfield and up front, rounded off the scoring with a deserved goal 15 minutes from time. Lewis Clark picked out Shaw’s run towards the Beauly defence and the youngster took the ball around keeper Grant before scoring.

There was much to be pleased about for the Fort William support, especially in the first half. Ryan Boyle and Sean Cruickshank were solid at the back and were particularly good at clearing their lines. Sean Cameron turned in a man of the match performance in midfield where he linked up well with Lachie Shaw, winning many tackles and supplying the forwards. Arran MacPhee was excellent in attack where he was a constant threat.

Angus Renwick was best for Beauly, doing well on the wing and then at buckshee back.

There were no bookings and both teams were thankful for a water break in each half.

Beauly’s Daniel Lamont takes to the air avoiding a Lachie Shaw volley during Fort William’s 6-0 win over Beauly in the National Division. Photograph: Abrightside Photography.

Glasgow Mid Argyll P
Kilmallie P

The match between Glasgow Mid Argyll and Kilmallie at Yoker, a repeat of the 2018 Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup Final, will be rearranged following the passing of Kilmallie stalwart Hamish Graham.
Hamish Graham’s sons Mark and Martin play and coach at Kilmallie, whilst Hamish was a sponsor and great supporter of the club.

Strathdearn Cup – quarter finals

Lochcarron 1
Skye Camanachd 3

The Skye Camanachd seconds reached the Strathdearn Cup semi-finals with a 3-1 win over Lochcarron at Battery Park.

The heat made it difficult for both sides but Skye had the best of the first half and created a handful of chances with Angie MacDonald and Ross Gordon narrowly missing the target.

Skye took the lead on 35 minutes following a nice flowing move involving Connor Gilpin, Sam MacPhee and Ross Gordon who all combined to set up Martin Pringle and he finished well.

It was a goal Skye deserved and needed with half time approaching.
Skye started the second half well and killed off the tie in the opening five minutes of the second period.

Ross Gordon made it 2-0 just a minute after the restart with a good low drive to the keeper’s right.

This was a pivotal moment in the tie and substitute Sam MacPhee added a third with a neat finish from outside the ‘D’ on 50 minutes.

Liam Arnott bagged a consolation goal for Lochcarron on the hour but Skye kept running right to the end in difficult conditions.

Some of the Skye players hadn’t played for a few weeks and that showed at times during the first half but the overall work-rate was fantastic in the heat.

Glenurquhart 1
Fort William 2

A Scott Knox goal five minutes from time gave the Fort William reserves a 2-1 win over the Glenurquhart reserves at Blairbeg.

Fort William’s Lewis Morrison scored the only goal of the first half just five minutes before the interval.

Charlie MacLeod, son of first team manager Iain MacLeod, levelled on 57 minutes, scoring under pressure to make it 1-1.

That’s the way it stayed until Knox’s late winner.

The Fort William and Skye Camanachd second teams will meet in the Strathdearn Cup semi-finals.

Marine Harvest
North Division 1

Kinlochshiel 1
Kingussie 1

A late Iain Borthwick goal gave the Kingussie seconds a 1-1 draw with the Kinlochshiel seconds in their noon throw-up at a sweltering Kirkton.

Kinlochshiel, playing down the slope in the first half, took the lead after five minutes. The Kingussie defence failed to properly clear a corner from the left by young Finlay MacRae and when the ball came to Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae in a central position, he scored with a bouncing shot from 20 yards. Duncan ‘DA’ MacRae also went close with another first half shot.

Kinlochshiel were playing a lot of ball to Scott MacLean and they suffered a blow a couple of minutes before the break when MacLean was forced off with a knee problem after falling awkwardly.

Kingussie had the chance to level when referee John Matheson awarded them a second half penalty after Struan Robertson was tripped after running into the ‘D’ from the Kingussie left. With Dylan Borthwick off the field at the time, Russell Menzies took the spot-hit but his low effort was saved with his feet by Graham Kennedy who also turned a shot from the re-bound away for a corner.

Kingussie introduced veteran Iain Borthwick for the final 15 minutes and he got the leveller five minutes from time. The ball came to Borthwick with his back to goal on the Kingussie right and he turned and hit the ball early and although keeper Kennedy got his hand to the ball, the force of the shot took it high into the net to give Kingussie a deserved point.

Aberdeen University 2
Glengarry 4

Glengarry overcame Aberdeen University 4-2 at Balgownie.

This was Aberdeen University’s first game since the middle of May and they fell behind to a Raymond Robertson goal in the opening minute.

Kenny Cushnie drew the students level 60 seconds later though.
Another former Lochcarron player, Nick Dalgety put Glengarry back in front on nine minutes and the same player got his second on 27 minutes to make it 3-1 at the break.

A second from Raymond Robertson on 67 minutes gave the visitors a 4-1 advantage although Aberdeen’s Donnie MacRae pulled a goal back on 72 minutes.

Glengarry now only trail league leaders Newtonmore reserves by two points and they have a game in hand with the sides still to meet at The Eilan.

Marine Harvest
South Division 1

Lochside Rovers 3
Inveraray 0

Lochside Rovers climb to fourth place in South 1 after they beat Inveraray’s second team 1-0 in their noon throw-up at Mossfield.

Lochside’s Callum Kirsop began a two-match suspension following his red card in last week’s draw with Bute and with six subs listed in the Oban Camanachd squad for the Celtic Society final, Lochside’s resources were tested and manager Gareth Evans and his assistant Brian MacCallum were their only substitutes.

Inveraray listed a strong, young squad and with their first team having their ‘free Saturday’, it allowed some of the younger players to make up the 16 man squad. It also meant 46-year-old manager Graham MacPherson could manage from the sidelines rather than from the defence.

The only goal of the first period came on 37 minutes, shortly after a water break. Referee David Mitchell awarded Lochside a free-hit after the ball bounced up off the hard Mossfield ground and struck Andrew Fraser on the head. MacQueen played a short one-two with wing man Iain MacMillan before firing a waist-high shot into the back of the net from 25 yards.

Full centre’s Michael MacQueen and David MacPherson were having a great battle in the middle of the park. However, MacQueen made it 2-0 with a similar long-distance strike to the opener after been allowed too much space by MacPherson.

This goal sparked life into Inveraray and Gavin Stobbart saved well on more than one occasion, particularly from a John MacKenzie drive.
The game was finally put out of Inveraray’s reach when Lochside scored a third goal 10 minutes from time. Euan Logan shot goalwards and the ball took a cruel deflection off the Inveraray full back’s caman, sending young keeper Gregor Mather the wrong way.

It was a deserved 3-0 win for the Oban side who are now four points behind third-placed Bute but with a game in hand.

Aberdour 9
Ballachulish 0

Aberdour go second in the division after they beat Ballachulish 9-0 in their 1pm throw-up at Silversands.

It was a day when many things clicked for Aberdour and there was an early sign for what was to come on six minutes when Angus Thorburn put the hosts ahead.

Aberdour full forward Ruairidh Reid went on to score a hat-trick as he netted on 26, 33 and 36 minutes. The Aberdour midfield, with John Martin Philips back, provided plenty ball for the forwards and Angus Thorburn got his second a couple of minutes before the break to make it 5-0.
Ruairidh Reid got his fourth goal of the game on 58 minutes.

One concern for Lisa MacColl’s side is that David McDougall had to come off after being caught by a late challenge. He was replaced by Tom Aitchison and showed great composure to make it 7-0 on 66 minutes.

David MacKenzie added an eighth on 80 minutes and Angus Thorburn completed his hat-trick a couple of minutes from time.

Aberdour are now just a point behind the Kyles Athletic second team who have a game in hand.

Marine Harvest
North Division 2

Lewis Camanachd 1
Lovat 2

The Lovat second team go a point clear at the top of the table after they recorded a hard-fought 2-1 win over Lewis Camanachd at Shawbost.
Lewis started well, but it was Lovat who went in front on 25 minutes with Dylan MacCulloch blasting the ball home.

Ally Lamont equalised with 15 minutes remaining and, as the clock ticked down, Lewis looked good for a point.

However Cameron MacMillan had other ideas and, with three minutes remaining, he scored the winner to take the Balgate men to the top of the table and make for a more enjoyable journey home.

The Lovat colts are now a point clear of second-placed Lochcarron with both sides having played 12 matches.

The Caberfeidh colts in third place are only four points off the top with two games in hand.

Kilmallie P
Lochaber P

The game between the Kilmallie and Lochaber reserve sides at The Canal Parks will be re-scheduled following the passing of Kilmallie stalwart Hamish Graham.

Boleskine P
Strathspey P

The clash between Boleskine and Strathspey Camanachd has been re-scheduled for Saturday July 21.

Beauly P
Inverness P

The match between the Beauly and Inverness reserves was re-scheduled for Wednesday July 4.

WCA round-up

Champions Skye Camanachd return to the top of Marine Harvest National Division 1 following the Women’s Camanachd Association shinty action on Sunday June 30.

Strathspey 1
Skye Camanachd 6

Champions Skye Camanachd returned to the top of the table following their 6-1 win over Strathspey in their 1pm throw-up at Grantown Grammar School.

Beth Rodgers scored for Strathspey but doubles from Lorna MacRae, Helen Lamond and Caitlin MacLean gave Skye the win.

Skye are only ahead of Badenoch on goal difference but they have a game in hand with the sides still due to meet in Portree.

Aberdour W/O v
Fort William

Aberdour were awarded the points when Fort William were unable to raise a team for their game at Silversands.

Badenoch P
Ardnamurchan P

The game between Badenoch and Aberdour will be re-scheduled.

Marine Harvest National Division 1

Glenurquhart 4
Glengarry 0

Glenurquhart defeated Glengarry 4-0 in their 2.30pm throw-up at Blairbeg on Saturday June 30.

Abi Stoddart grabbed a hat-trick, whilst Hazel Hunter got the other.

Inverness 10
Skye Camanachd 0
Inverness were 10-0 winners against the Skye Camanachd second team at The Bught Park.

Katie MacMillan was the star of the show scoring seven times. Amber MacKay, Joni Kate Reid and Melissa MacKay got the others.

Strathglass 2
Kinlochshiel 5

Kinlochshiel recorded a solid 5-2 win against Strathglass at Cannich.
Cassie Dorrian scored both home goals but an Isabelle MacKenzie hat-trick and strikes from Alaina MacLennan and Kirsty Gordon gave Kinlochshiel both points.

Marine Harvest
South Division 2

Cowal & Bute 4
Glasgow Mid Argyll 2

Cowal & Bute beat the Glasgow Mid Argyll second team 4-2.
Nuala Neary scored twice with Charmaine Love and Ciardha Baxter also on target, cancelling out counters from Joan Nicolson and Katie Mullen.

125th anniversary senior shinty sixes

The Camanachd Association will hold a special senior shinty sixes competition at Glasgow Green on Sunday August 5.

Shinty will play its part as a new era in world sport gets under way this summer as Glasgow and Berlin host the inaugural European Championships. Contact Paul MacArthur on or 07851 808643.