Fish hook left on beach horror for Juno

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now
The fishing hook embedded in Juno's stomach NO_T24_junoshook
The fishing hook embedded in Juno’s stomach
John Howe with the offending fishing hook 17_T24_junodog02_hook
John Howe with the offending fishing hook

Fish hooks abandoned on beaches are putting dogs and other animals in danger.

John Howe, a senior lecturer in marine geology at Dunbeg’s Scottish Marine Institute, contacted The Oban Times after his dog Juno needed emergency surgery to remove a baited hook from her stomach.

He said: ‘The stitches are out now and she’s as right as rain but she was lucky. Others might not be. It certainly shook us up.

‘I’ve lived in North Connel for four years and must pick up bag of litter every week, especially fishing rubbish in the summer.

‘Last Friday night we let Juno go and I could see her wolfing something down. She had a fish line coming out of her mouth. I tried to gently pull it but it wouldn’t move. I realised to my horror it must have a hook on the other end. She was trying to be sick and couldn’t.

‘We got her home and rang the emergency vet who said to bring her in immediately. He took an X-ray and there was the hook – in her stomach. He operated that night.

‘It made me angry. Why do people leave baited hooks on the beach? There’s a lot left on the beach near the SAMS lab, at Taynuilt near Kelly’s Pier and the shores of Loch Etive.

‘For me, it was a horrifying, unlucky incident what happened to Juno but the vet was not surprised by it, he sees it a lot – particularly around Loch Awe.

‘It’s common to see animals with hooks in their faces and paws. Surely it’s not beyond the wit of man to pick stuff up and take it home.’

Oban vet John Blomfield said the problem is so frequent he keeps a set of metal cutters in the Tweedale Street practice to deal with it.

‘We might see two to three cases per month during the summer.  Thankfully, most dogs end up with the hook in their face, which is painful but much easier to resolve than Juno was.

‘I have had to remove a hook similar to Juno’s from a dog’s throat, which was seated in the larynx. And another where the dog had swallowed a treble hook which had become lodged in his oesophagus and had to be removed through the side of his neck,’ he said.

Dog owners are advised not to pull on the line hanging from the dog’s mouth but to cut the line hanging out and get immediate help from a vet.