Busy spell for Oban lifeboat

Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Oban Times – subscribe today for as little as 56 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Oban RNLI lifeboat had a busy couple of days last week with a planned training exercise and two call-outs.

The Mora Edith MacDonald first launched on Saturday for a routine training exercise in Oban bay.

A few hours after returning to station, its assistance was requested just before 2pm by UK Coastguard as a passenger vessel had fouled its propeller in Inverscaddle Bay, Loch Linnhe.

Once on scene, and with the help of a local RIB, seven passengers and a crew member were taken aboard the lifeboat, leaving the master, two lifeboat crew members and one other on board the casualty vessel.

The lifeboat stood by as the RIB’s crew successfully removed the rope entangling the stricken vessel which then proceeded towards her home port.

The lifeboat safely disembarked the passengers and crew ashore at Fort William.

On its return, the Oban lifeboat was refuelled and ready for service again by 5.30pm.

The lifeboat was also called into action on Thursday at 1.15pm to help a yacht with a suspected fire onboard. The yacht, with four people aboard, was just off the south end of Lismore when the request was made.

Prior to the lifeboat arriving on scene, the yacht was attended to by the fast rescue craft of the CalMac ferry Hebridean Isles, as well as the RHIB Tritonia.

As the volunteer crew arrived on scene, everyone was safe but the yacht was experiencing engine difficulty. Given the conditions, the decision was made to put a crew member aboard the yacht to help with the sail back to Oban with the lifeboat standing by.

Once closer to the entrance of Oban bay, the yacht was taken under tow and safely berthed at the transit marina, with shoreside assistance provided by Oban’s Coastguard Rescue Team.

Oban lifeboat returned to station where she was ready for service again by 3.05pm. Later that evening, the lifeboat was called on once again to assist the yacht as it was still experiencing technical issues.

The lifeboat launched at 6.25pm, the vessel was towed back into Oban bay and safely berthed alongside the transit marina. The lifeboat was back alongside her berth and ready for service again by 7.20pm.