Shinty round-up

Kinlochshiel’s Finlay Macrae (left) with David Lafferty and Craig MacDougall (both Oban). Kinlochshiel v Oban Camanachd in the Marine Harvest Premiership, played at The Bught, Inverness as the Kinlochshiel pitch was unplayable due to the weather.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Oban Camanachd became the first team to take a point from Marine Harvest Premiership leaders Kinlochshiel and Fort William and Oban Celtic made Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup progress following the shinty action on Saturday April 28.

Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup – first round

Fort William 2
Inveraray 2

After extra-time. Fort William won 4-2 on penalties.
The pick of the Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup first round ties was the 3pm meeting between Fort William and Inveraray at An Aird.
The sides couldn’t be separated after two hours of shinty with Fort William winning the penalty shoot-out 4-2.

Arran MacPhee was still out for Fort William. whilst Inveraray’s Kieran Kirkhope was suspended.

Fort William took the lead on 17 minutes. Referee Martin MacLean awarded the hosts a penalty and Victor Smith stepped up to score from the spot.
Inveraray levelled on 58 minutes through Allan MacDonald and took the lead on 72 minutes with Craig Taylor netting.

They only stayed in front for a couple of minutes though. Jack Fraser got on the end of a ball from the midfield, touched the ball over the full back and took it past the keeper before walking it over the line.

It remained 2-2 until the end of the 90 minutes and, with no goals during extra time, the contest was decided by a penalty shoot-out. Sean Cruickshank, Victor Smith, Jack Fraser and Lachie Shaw all converted from the spot to put Fort William through to the next round.

Oban Celtic 6
Aberdour 3

Oban Celtic beat Aberdour 6-3 in their tie at Ganavan.

Despite the win, Oban Celtic, who were missing Ally McKerracher, George MacMillan, Andy Hunt and Rory Bruce, put in a below-par performance.
Iain MacKechnie and Kieran Gallacher returned and Neil Carmichael started at full centre.

Aberdour travelled with just 12 players, a couple of whom were carrying injuries.

A low Ross MacMillan drive gave the hosts the lead on eight minutes, but Aberdour were level within 60 seconds when Andrew Fraser made it 1-1.
Andy MacDonald sent the ball low into the net on 36 minutes to give Oban Celtic a 2-1 half-time lead.

Aberdour levelled for a second time with a great goal following a corner. Cammy McCue let a cross run to David MacKenzie who lashed the ball past the keeper with 57 minutes played.

Oban Celtic’s quick forward play gave them an advantage and Andy MacDonald put them back in front on 65 minutes.

With no substitutes, Aberdour tired in the heat and Daniel Madej tapped in on 69 minutes before Ross MacMillan got his second on 78 minutes to make it 5-2.

David MacKenzie got his second following a smart move on 87 minutes, but Ross MacMillan completed his hat-trick a minute from time to make it 6-3.
On a difficult pitch, Oban Celtic’s National Division experience made a difference and they deserved the win. They have home advantage against Fort William in the next round.

Aberdour will take a lot of positives from the game, despite the defeat.
Oban Celtic are on cup duty again this Saturday as they host Bute in the Artemis Macaulay Cup. Kenny Wotherspoon’s side will be eager to gain revenge having lost to the islanders in the Glasgow Celtic Society Cup.

Strathglass 1
Glasgow Mid Argyll 4

Glasgow Mid Argyll extended their unbeaten run to seven matches when they defeated Strathglass 4-1 in their 3pm throw-up at Cannich.
Jamie MacFadyen gave GMA the lead on 22 minutes but Donald Fraser levelled on 31 minutes.

Jamie MacFadyen got his second on 42 minutes to give GMA a 2-1 advantage at the break.

Ross Fraser on 64 minutes and Calum Mclay on 77 minutes completed GMA’s 4-1 win.

Mid Argyll’s Jamie MacFadyen shields the ball from Michael Stokes of Strathglass during their Balliemore Cup tie. Photograph: Donald Cameron

Taynuilt 2
Inverness 6

A strong first half performance gave Inverness a 6-2 win over Taynuilt at Taynuilt Sports Field.

David Campbell got Inverness off to a great start with a goal in the opening minute and James MacKenzie added a second on nine minutes.
David Campbell got his second on 33 minutes and when referee Graham Fisher pointed to the penalty spot on 40 minutes, Dougie Rankin stepped up to score.

There was still time for Charlie MacDonald to add a fifth Inverness goal with a couple of first half minutes remaining.

David Campbell completed his hat-trick three minutes into the second half to give Inverness a 6-0 lead.

Taynuilt rallied and Scott Dempster on 49 minutes and Stuart Scott on 52 minutes reduced the deficit.

There was to be no comeback though and Inverness will host Glasgow Mid Argyll in the next round.

Ballachulish 7
Col Glen 0

Ballachulish were too strong for Col Glen, winning 7-0 at The Jubilee Park.
Col Glen travelled with just 12 players and found it tough against Ballachulish who were ruthless in front of goals.

Scott Henderson gave Ballachulish the lead on three minutes and Duncan MacDonald made it 2-0 on 17 minutes.

Alan Clark then took centre stage, rattling in a hat-trick with goals on 25, 30 and 40 minutes to make it 5-0 at the interval.

Scott Henderson got his second a couple of minutes after the re-start.
Ballachulish boss Lorne Brown gave youngsters Daniel MacLean and Connor MacKenzie the final 25 minutes of the game.

The third Ballachulish substitute, Lewis Bryson, made his contribution, adding a seventh goal on 81 minutes.

Glengarry 2
Bute 0

Marine Harvest North Division 1 side Glengarry beat Marine Harvest South Division 1 opponents Bute 2-0 at Craigard.

This was a great game and a really hard battle but Glengarry deserved the win.

After a goal-less first half, Glengarry took the lead on 64 minutes. An Andrew Gilchrist corner was knocked down by Steven Cameron and Nick Dalgety drilled the ball into the net.

Glengarry clinched a place in the next round with 10 minutes remaining when Raymond Robertson took a long ball from Steven Cameron out the air, before turning and bulleting a shot into the net.

The winning margin could have been bigger had it not been for fine saves from Kevin Queen in the Bute goal.

Aberdeen University P
Beauly P

The match between Marine Harvest North Division 1 side Aberdeen University and Beauly from the Marine Harvest National Division was postponed when Balgownie failed a Saturday morning pitch inspection.

Kilmallie W/O
v Tayforth

Kilmallie were given a bye into the second round when Tayforth were unable to raise a team for their meeting at The Canal Parks.
Kilmallie are also without a match this Saturday.

Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup – first round

Kilmallie 0
Lochaber 5

The final Aberdeen Considine Sutherland Cup first round tie saw the Lochaber seconds oust the Kilmallie seconds 5-0 at Canal Parks.
Kirsty Delaney gave Lochaber the lead, before Ben Delaney made it 2-0.

Kirsty Delaney got her second and Lochaber’s third before Max Campbell and Pat Toal rounded off the 5-0 win.

The Lochaber colts’ reward is a second round tie at home to the Beauly colts this Saturday.

Marine Harvest Premiership

Kinlochshiel 2
Oban Camanachd 2

Oban Camanachd became the first team to take a point from Kinlochshiel with the sides drawing 2-2.

With Kirkton waterlogged, the game was switched to the Bught Park, Inverness.

Kinlochshiel manager Johnston Gill kept Finlay MacRae in the full back position, with Paul MacRae still on the bench as he recovers from an elbow injury.

Oban Camanachd boss Ian Hay was without Daniel Sloss who served the second game of a two-match ban, but Willie Neilson returned and was listed as a substitute.

Oban Camanachd, playing against a strong wind in the first half, took the lead after three minutes when they punished hesitancy between Kinlochshiel keeper Scott Kennedy and defender Finlay MacRae which allowed Andrew MacCuish to nip in and score from close range.

A great bit of skill from Craig MacDougall gave Oban Camanachd a second goal on 32 minutes. Scott MacMillan found Andrew MacCuish with a ball from the left. MacCuish’s shot was blocked, but Craig MacDougall juggled the ball over David Falconer before scoring with a sweet drive.

Craig MacDougall was denied a second when he broke through one-on-one with Scott Kennedy but the Kinlochshiel keeper saved with his foot.
Cameron Sutherland made a superb stop from a Jordan Fraser shot which was heading for the top corner of the net, whilst Scott Kennedy used his body to block a Scott MacMillan piledriver.

Perhaps crucially, Kinlochshiel pulled a goal back three minutes before the break when John MacRae took a Jordan Fraser pass and turned and scored.
Willie Neilson replaced the tiring Lorne Dickie midway through the second half for Oban Camanachd, whilst David Lafferty took over from Malcolm Clark for the final 15 minutes.

By then, Kinlochshiel had moved Finlay MacRae into midfield with Paul MacRae, who had initially come on in attack, dropping back into defence.
Oban Camanachd’s Chrissie MacMillan came off with a calf problem late in the game with Keith MacMillan coming on.

Kinlochshiel got a leveller with five minutes remaining when Jordan Fraser ran across goal to shoot on his right side and turn a John MacRae free-hit from the left into the net.

Kinlochshiel might have had a late winner but Daniel Cameron cleared Jordan Fraser’s effort off the line.

The Oban Camanachd defence of Daniel Cameron, Garry Lord, Chrissie MacMillan and Matt Rippon played well, restricting the potent Kinlochshiel strike force.

Kinlochshiel are now two points ahead of Kyles Athletic at the top of the table, whilst Oban Camanachd only trail fifth-placed Caberfeidh on goal difference.

Both teams are in Artemis Macaulay Cup action this weekend with Kinlochshiel at home to Newtonmore and Oban Camanachd hosting Glasgow Mid Argyll.

Oban Camanachd’s Garry Lord gets a close up view of John Macrae’s caman. Photograph: Neil Paterson.

Caberfeidh 2
Newtonmore 5

Caberfeidh led twice against Newtonmore at Castle Leod before eventually losing 3-2.

Caberfeidh boss Jodi Gorski was without Jamie Matheson who had a hamstring injury, however, Ryan Mackay returned to the starting line-up after a two-match suspension.

Newtonmore manager Paul John MacKintosh travelled with a lengthy absentee list which included the suspended Evan Menzies and the injured Jamie Robinson, Paul MacArthur, Craig Ritchie, Norman Campbell and Steven MacDonald, with the latter yet to play this season. There was a place in defence for Stuart Mitchell, whilst Fraser MacKintosh took the full centre berth. Drew MacDonald returned to the squad and he was joined on the bench by Owen Fraser and Tommy Stewart.

There was a minute’s silence ahead of throw-up to mark the passing of Caberfeidh stalwart Robbie Taylor.

There was a nervous start to the game and, on four minutes, Kevin Bartlett hit a soft shot towards goal. Newtonmore keeper Kenny Ross went to stop the ball with his stick but the ball bobbled out for a goal hit.
Kevin Bartlett hit a shot into the side netting on 15 minutes.

Caberfeidh took the lead on 21 minutes when a Ben MacDonald clearance from defence found Ryan Mackay on the wing and he sent a ball into the heart of the Newtonmore defence where Craig Morrison turned his marker Andy MacKintosh and unleashed a shot into the top of the net, past a helpless Kenny Ross.

On the half-hour, Neil Stewart found space on the Newtonmore right and blasted what looked to be a goal-bound shot but Caberfeidh keeper Ewen Pilcher made a great save with his stick and Newtonmore had to settle for a corner.

Caberfeidh almost doubled their lead when Ally MacLennan, who had a great first half, went on a run and his 25-yard shot hit the side-netting.
Both teams deserved a half-time beak after a pulsating first 45 minutes and the supporters were in for a treat as the second half followed in the same vein. Newtonmore drew level on 55 minutes when Fraser MacKintosh sent a good ball deep into the Caberfeidh defence and Iain Robinson pounced to hit a first time shot past Ewen Pitcher to make it 1-1.

Caberfeidh kept their shape and discipline and regained the lead on 62 minutes. Ally MacLennan passed the ball to Kevin Bartlett who sent it to the on-form Craig Morrison who again turned Andy MacKintosh before driving the ball home.

Newtonmore fought back and, on 65 minutes, a Glen MacKintosh shot was saved with his feet by Ewen Pilcher but the ball looped up in the air and Iain Robinson leapt like a salmon to knock the ball into the back of the net.
Craig Morrison had a great chance to complete his hat-trick on 70 minutes. He did all the hard work by peeling away from his marker and, with only the goalie to beat, he shot wide of the right-hand post.

Newtonmore introduced Drew MacDonald and his pace and skill added a new dimension to the match.

On 82 minutes, Drew MacDonald received a ball on the left. He ran against the Caberfeidh defence into the ‘D’ and calmly placed the ball into the net.
With three minutes remaining, Caberfeidh defender Martin MacDonald went into the book for a reckless challenge on Drew MacDonald and Glen Macintosh was also yellow carded by referee John Angus Gillies for an off-the-ball incident.

Caberfeidh’s Ally MacLennan dominated the centre line whilst Blair Morrison in defence was always involved in the action. Two-goal Craig Morrison caused difficulties for the Newtonmore defence.

Newtonmore’s Iain Robinson worked tirelessly up front, whilst Iain Richardson put a good shift in midfield. The classy Rory Kennedy was good against Kevin Bartlett.

Both teams played very well in what was a very entertaining match. Caberfeidh will feel deeply disappointed not to have taken something from the game whilst Newtonmore, boosted by Drew MacDonald’s introduction, will be delighted to take both points given their absentee list.

Skye Camanachd 0
Kingussie 2

Even at this early stage in the season, it was clear there were two valuable points up for grabs at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, with Skye Camanachd and Kingussie both finding themselves at the wrong end of the table. Skye Camanachd boss John MacLeod was without Ally MacDonald whose knee injury, suffered against Lovat last Saturday, is likely to keep him sidelined for some time.

However, Stewart Grant, Ruaraidh MacLeod and Jamie Gillies were added to the squad, whilst Ian Murray and Ross Gordon dropped out.
Kingussie boss John Gibson was without Ryan MacWilliam who served the second game of a two-match suspension. The game also came too soon for the injured Lee Bain and Louis Munro.

Rory MacGregor forced an excellent Iain MacLeod save with a shot from wide on the right, whilst Skye forward Ruaraidh MacLeod, at the back post, sent an effort over the bar following a Stewart Grant corner from the left.
Kingussie took the lead on 24 minutes. Alexander Michie, who had a great game, pushed forward into the Skye half where he found Ruaridh Anderson wide on the left who finished well from a tight angle.

The visitors added a second three minutes later. The Skye players didn’t react to a Fraser Munro shy from the left, mid-way in the Skye half. Rory MacGregor took advantage and sent a powerful shot over keeper Iain MacLeod’s left shoulder and into the net.

It took a brilliant double save from Iain MacLeod to deny Kingussie a third. First he used his caman to parry a Rory MacGregor shot from the left.
The rebound fell for Ruaridh Anderson who struck the ball first time, but MacLeod showed great reflexes to turn the ball away for a corner with his caman.

The second half was devoid of incident and although Skye moved John Gillies from full back to full forward for the final 15 minutes, with youngster Jamie Gillies coming on in defence, they were unable to trouble Craig Dawson in the Kingussie goal.

The sides meet again this Saturday at The Dell, in the Artemis Macaulay Cup.

Lochaber 1
Lovat 3

Lovat recovered from falling behind to an early Shaun Nicolson goal to beat Lochaber 3-1 at Spean Bridge.

Lochaber’s Brian MacDonald served a one-match ban for passing through the disciplinary points threshold, whilst Martin Johnstone was a late call-off. Donald MacRae was also missing. Kevin Ferguson started at full centre.
Scott MacKenzie, Chris Johnston and Thomas Fraser returned for Lovat, with the latter two starting on the bench. There was no Lorne MacKay or Daniel Grieve, who suffered a back injury at work, so Craig Mainland switched to defence and Duncan Davidson was given a start.

Lochaber got off to the best start as Shaun Nicolson put them ahead after three minutes. Lovat defender Callum Cruden tried to clear a ball into the ‘D’ but the ball got stuck under his feet and Shaun Nicolson forced the ball over the line from just a yard out.

Lovat danger man Greg Matheson hit the post from wide on the left before he pulled Lovat level on 13 minutes. It was a well-taken goal with Matheson turning home a cross from a central position at the edge of the D, striking the ball on the half volley.

Worse was to follow for Lochaber as Marc MacLachlan put the Balgate side ahead on 18 minutes.

A passing move from Scott MacKenzie to Duncan Davidson to Marc MacLachlan saw the former Beauly player allow Davidson’s well-weighted pass to run across him before striking it home on his right side.
Lovat’s Bailey MacKay was forced off on 25 minutes after Finlay MacDonald’s swing caught him on the arm, earning the Lochaber man a booking. Chris Johnston came on in MacKay’s place.

Lochaber swapped Stuart Matheson in attack for Duncan MacKinnon five minutes later.

Lovat goalie Stuart MacDonald did well to come off his line to get a good hand to a Stuart Callison drive on 34 minutes.
A couple of minutes later, Lochaber full forward John MacKenzie had to come off with what looked like a hamstring problem so player/manager Neil MacDonald took over.

Just a couple of minutes before the break, a good Marc MacLachlan shot brought a fine save from Lochaber goalie Ally MacDonald.
Marc MacLachlan got his second to extend Lovat’s lead on 63 minutes. Lewis Tawse found MacLachlan with a free-hit and, from wide on the right, the Lovat full forward got past Brennan MacDonald but looked to have hit the ball too far ahead of himself. Keeper Ally MacDonald came off his lime but MacLachlan stretched to get a touch to the ball, taking it past the keeper and into the net on his backhand.

Lochaber had a penalty claim waved away by referee Lachie Wood on 75 minutes.

Lovat lost a second wing centre when Scott MacKenzie suffered a knuckle injury which later required a hospital visit.
Craig Mainland had a good first half for Lovat whilst Mark Kelly was excellent throughout.

Lovat now only trail second placed Kyles Athletic on goal difference.

Marine Harvest
North Division 1

Glenurquhart 0
Fort William 2

The match between the Fort William and Glenurquhart colts was switched from An Aird to Blairbeg.

With no first team game, Glenurquhart included youngsters Cameron MacKintosh, Oliver Black and Finlay Ralston.

Finlay Robertson made his return following a hand injury whilst Christopher Mack was back after a finger injury.
Jed Stoddart was missing. Iain MacLeod started at full back, whilst U17 keeper Jay Brady was in goal.

Fort William’s Mark Fraser scored the only goal of the first half with a shot from the edge of the ‘D’ after 25 minutes.

Padraig McNeil scored Fort William’s second three minutes into the second half with a tidy finish after a defensive slip.
The two points lift Fort William to third in the table.

Kinlochshiel P
Skye Camanachd P

The noon throw-up between the Kinlochshiel and Skye Camanachd reserves was postponed on Thursday when, with Kinlochshiel and Oban Camanachd scheduled to meet in a Marine Harvest Premiership clash later in the afternoon, it became clear the pitch would not take two games.

Marine Harvest
South Division 1

Kyles Athletic 7
Inveraray 0

The reserve team derby between the Inveraray and Kyles Athletic seconds was switched from The Winterton to Glendaruel and a devastating first half performance saw Kyles run out 7-0 winners.

Kyles Athletic’s Chris Blair served the second game of his two-match suspension, whilst Inveraray’s Scott Robertson began a two-match ban.
Ross MacRae opened the scoring on nine minutes and Scott MacDonald added a second four minutes later.

Luke Thornton scored on 18 and 26 minutes, either side of a 22nd minute Brandon Wilson strike to make it 5-0. Brandon Wilson got his second on the half hour mark and Innes MacDonald added a seventh on 35 minutes.
Kyles now have a four point lead over second-placed Lochside Rovers at the top of the table with the sides due to meet in Oban this Saturday in the second round of the Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup.

Kilmory P
Lochside Rovers P

The match between Kilmory and Lochside Rovers was postponed on Friday evening as MacRae Park was waterlogged.

Marine Harvest North Division 2

Lovat 9
Lewis Camanachd 0

The free-scoring Lovat second team go top of Marine Harvest North Division 2 after they beat Lewis Camanachd 9-0 in their 12.45pm throw-up at Balgate.

Raymond Rennie set the tone for the game when he gave Lovat the lead on two minutes.

Graeme MacMillan made it 2-0 on seven minutes and the same players scored late in the first half – Rennie on 44 minutes and MacMillan on 45 minutes – as did Duncan Urquhart on the stroke of half-time to make it 5-0 at the break.

Cameron MacMillan got in on the act, scoring twice on 51 and 65 to make it 7-0.
Raymond Rennie completed his hat-trick with 10 minutes remaining with his 21st goal of the season.

Martin Bell rounded off the win with a couple of minutes remaining.
Lovat lead second-placed Caberfeidh reserves on goal difference.

Strathglass 1
Caberfeidh 7

The Caberfeidh seconds only trail league leaders Lovat seconds on goal difference after they beat the Strathglass seconds 7-1 in their noon throw up at Cannich.

There was a touch of fortune over Stuart Krzyzanowski’s first minute opener which deceived the keeper.

Strathglass drew level on five minutes when a cross-come-shot from Penri Jones ended up in the net.

A good finish from Stuart Krzyzanowski put Caberfeidh back in front on 11 minutes and he took his and Caberfeidh’s tally to four goals with strikes on 15 and 48 minutes.

Stuart Krzyzanowski then set up Ruairidh MacLennan who made it 5-1 on 64 minutes.

Krzyzanowski was again provider on 70 minutes when he knocked a high ball to Ruairidh MacLennan who smashed a half volley into the net.

Caberfeidh substitute Paul Ross controlled the ball and teed up Ruairidh MacLennan for his hat-trick goal with three minutes remaining.

The Caberfeidh seconds trail leaders Lovat seconds on goal difference and they have a game in hand.

Strathspey Camanachd 2
Boleskine 3

Boleskine edged out Strathspey Camanachd, winning 3-2 in their 1.30pm throw-up at Grantown Grammar School.

Strathspey’s Stuart Sloss was free of suspension. Struan Ross gave the hosts the lead on 20 minutes but Stuart MacRae levelled three minutes later.
William MacKinnon put Boleskine ahead on the half hour mark, only for Struan Ross to get his second four minutes later to make it 2-2. The winning goal came with 11 minutes remaining when Stuart MacRae got his second to give Boleskine a 3-2 win.

Beauly P
Inverness P

Both clubs agreed that the game between the Beauly seconds and the Inverness seconds at Braeview Park will be re-scheduled.

Marine Harvest South Division 2

Bute 2
Glasgow Mid Argyll 1

Neil McKirdy scored 10 minutes from time to give the Bute seconds a 2-1 win over the Glasgow Mid Argyll seconds at The Meadows.
The first half looked as if it would end goal-less until Chris McGowan put the hosts ahead on 40 minutes.

Scott Anderson made it 1-1 with 15 minutes remaining, before Neil McKirdy’s winner five minutes later.

This was the only game in the division to go ahead and the win lifts Bute to fourth place.

Oban Celtic P
Glenorchy P

The contest between the Oban Celtic second team and Glenorchy at Ganavan was postponed as the pitch couldn’t take two games.

Strachur P
Aberdour P

The match between Strachur and the Aberdour second team at Strachurmore will be re-scheduled.

Wotherspoon named South
U21 manager

Oban Celtic first team manager Kenny Wotherspoon will manage the South U21 squad in this year’s Caol Cup match against the North U21.

The match is always of interest to the Scotland U21 coaching staff ahead of the international matches.

Kenny will be assisted in his South U21 role by Les Kinvig. MacTavish Cup semi-final draw

The MacTavish Cup semi-final draw was made at the BBC ALBA studio, Pacific Quay, Glasgow, on Thursday April 26.

The draw was made by Stuart Walkden, owner acquisition manager, and Mark Whitehouse, area manager, both from

Holders Newtonmore will play Lovat at Balgate in a repeat of last year’s Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup Final which Newtonmore won. Kinlochshiel, who lost out to Kilmallie in last year’s MacTavish semi-finals, play high-flying Caberfeidh at Kirkton.

Lovat v Newtonmore
Kinlochshiel v Caberfeidh

The semi-final ties will take place on Saturday May 19.

Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup – second round Draw

The Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup second round draw was made during the half-time interval at Saturday’s tie between Fort William and Caberfeidh at An Aird.

The draw was made by Tom Uppington, Power & Hydro Director and Rita Caven, Smelter Operations Director, Liberty British Aluminium.

The draw is:
Kilmallie v Ballachulish
Inverness v Glasgow MA
Oban Celtic v Fort William
Glengarry v Aberdeen
University or Beauly

The ties will be played on Saturday May 26.

The Liberty Aluminium Balliemore Cup second round draw was made last Saturday. Making the draw are, left to right, Keith Loades, president, Camanachd Association; Tom Uppington, Liberty British Aluminium; Willie MacDonald, youth director, Camanachd Association, and Rita Caven, Liberty British Aluminium. Photograph: Iain Ferguson, The Write Image.

Robbie Taylor, Caberfeidh

The shinty world lost another of its finest characters with the news that Robbie Taylor died suddenly at home on Sunday April 22.

A shinty enthusiast with many friends throughout the game, Robbie served Caberfeidh with distinction as player, manager and committee member and he was immensely proud as Caberfeidh won a place in shinty’s top flight for the first time at the end of last season.

Robbie Taylor’s funeral took place at the Church of Scotland, Strathpeffer, on Tuesday May 1 followed by the burial at Fodderty Cemetery, Strathpeffer.

Glasgow Celtic Society Cup sponsors

The Glasgow Celtic Society has announced Scottish Sea Farms will sponsor the 2018 Glasgow Celtic Society Cup Final.

First played in 1879, the Glasgow Celtic Society Cup is one of shinty’s oldest trophies and this year’s final will be hosted by Taynuilt on Saturday June 30 and will be broadcast live on BBC Alba.

Grantown win Robertson Cup shinty sixes

Grantown Grammar School won the 2018 Shinty Shop Robertson Cup shinty sixes at Blairbeg on Wednesday April 25.

The event brought together eight teams from across the north to compete in this U14 tournament.

Following the group stage matches, Grantown beat Lochaber A 3-1 in the semi-finals. Kingussie defeated Lochaber B 1-0 in the other last-four tie.
Lochaber A team won the local bragging rights by beating the Lochaber B team 3-2 in the third place play-off.

In a close and exciting final, a second half goal from Ioin Baikie was enough to give Grantown a 1-0 win over Kingussie in the final.
There was further joy for Grantown when Callum MacKintosh was awarded player of the tournament.

Event organiser Allan MacLeod said: ‘There was an excellent standard of play on show and it was fitting Grantown won on their first appearance in this, the 20th year of the competition. On behalf of hosts Glenurquhart High School, I would like to thank our sponsors Shinty Shop for their long-standing support and Glenurquhart Shinty Club for their assistance on the day.’