Shinty round-up

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Kinlochshiel, Glasgow Mid Argyll, the Newtonmore seconds and Kilmory are all table toppers following the shinty action on Saturday April 14.

Marine Harvest Premiership

Kinlochshiel 5
Skye Camanachd 2

Kinlochshiel remain the team to beat in the Marine Harvest Premiership after they overcame Skye Camanachd 5-2 in their derby meeting at Kirkton.

Kinlochshiel manager Johnston Gill was forced to change his keeper. With Scott Kennedy on holiday, his brother Graham Kennedy stepped up from the second team to take over in goal. Finlay MacRae continued at full back with Oliver MacRae at centre. Captain Paul MacRae was on the bench alongside Scott MacLean and Duncan ‘WD’ MacRae.

Skye boss John MacLeod welcomed keeper Iain MacLeod back into the squad, so Ryan Morrison returned to the second team. Stewart Grant was also back, whilst there was a place on the bench for youngster Jamie Gillies.

They replaced Iain Nicolson, who had failed to recover from a hamstring problem, and Allan MacLeod.

Kinlochshiel took an early grip on the game with Ali Nixon scoring after seven minutes.

Jordan Fraser added a second a couple of minutes later and Fraser got his second and Kinlochshiel’s third on 16 minutes.

When Keith MacRae added a fourth on 33 minutes, Skye made changes with Ally ‘Cleodi’ MacLeod and Ally ‘Spod’ MacLeod withdrawn. Iain MacLellan and Connor Gilpin came on with Will Cowie, who had a fine game throughout, going to buckshee back.

Skye created chances during the first half, with Graham Kennedy making at least three good saves.

Kinlochshiel brought Paul MacRae on at the start of the second half, with Finlay MacRae going to centre.

Skye’s Jordan Murchison pulled a goal back a minute after the re-start, only for Keith MacRae to get his second on 50 minutes.

Jordan Murchison got his second to make it 5-2 on 77 minutes.

Referee Archie Ritchie awarded Kinlochshiel a penalty but Iain MacLeod saved John MacRae’s effort.

Oban Camanachd 2
Kingussie 0

Oban Camanachd posted their first league victory of the season when they beat Kingussie 2-0 at Mossfield.

In a venue re-jig, this game was a 3pm throw-up which allowed Oban Celtic to play their match against Glasgow Mid Argyll at the same venue at noon.

This freed up Ganavan for the Oban Celtic seconds to reverse their game against their Bute counterparts.

Oban Camanachd manager Ian Hay welcomed Lorne Dickie back into the side as he works his way back to full fitness. Matt Rippon, Craig MacDougall and Daniel Sloss also returned but Gavin Stobbart, David Lafferty, Aidan MacIntyre and Scott McKillop were all still out. Daniel Cameron served a one match suspension following his red card against Caberfeidh the previous week.

Kingussie had Rory MacKeachan back, but were without the experience of James Hutchison and Lee Bain as well as the injured Louis Munro. Savio Genini started up front, with Roddy Young on the bench.

Oban Camanachd took the lead on 17 minutes. The ball was played into the ‘D’ where there was a melee following Craig Dawson’s save, but Daniel MacVicar poked the ball into the net from close range.

Kingussie keeper Craig Dawson made a brilliant point-black save from an Andrew MacCuish shot and also made a good stop to deny Daniel MacVicar a second. At the other end, Cameron Sutherland in the Oban goal was assured as he dealt with anything into his goal area.

Kingussie came back into it from the start of the second half without being able to force a leveller.

Both sides were reduced to 11 players when referee Robert Baxter had no option but to flash two red cards – to Ryan MacWilliam for a challenge on Daniel Sloss with the Oban youngster walking for retaliation.

Oban Camanachd had the better of the contest from that point and Garry Lord, who had been pushed into attack, forced another great Craig Dawson save with the ball heading for the top corner of the net.

Oban Camanachd clinched the win with 11 minutes remaining. Craig MacDougall was chopped down inside the ‘D’ and Andrew MacCuish crashed the penalty into the top corner of the net, beating the keeper on his left side.

Oban Camanachd manager Ian Hay said: ‘It was good to get a couple of points on the board and I felt we deserved the win. We needed the second goal to see Kingussie off but we never really felt under too much threat.’

Attention now turns to Saturday’s Glasgow Celtic Society Cup tie against Ballachulish at Mossfield and Ian Hay added: ‘We’ll be without Daniel Sloss for that one as well as Chrissie MacMillan who did well against Kingussie.

However, we’ll have Daniel Cameron and David Lafferty back and it was good to see Lorne Dickie play 90 minutes on Saturday as he builds up his match fitness.’

Newtonmore’s Glen Mackintosh shields the ball from Kyles Athletic’s Cammy Keith. Photograph: Neil Paterson.

Newtonmore 1
Kyles Athletic 2

Rivals Newtonmore and Kyles Athletic met for the first time this season with Kyles Athletic coming from behind to win 2-1 at The Eilan.

Newtonmore’s Steven MacDonald was still out and whilst Evan Menzies was free to play, he will miss Newtonmore’s next two matches through suspension.

Kyles had Roddy MacDonald and Grant Irvine back with Donald Irvine also returning to take a place on the bench. Keeper John Whyte was also back, although Innes MacDonald was on the bench, primed to take over between the sticks if needed.

Newtonmore scored first with Ewan Fraser grabbing his first league goal for the side, turning a re-bound past a diving keeper, with 24 minutes on the clock.

Scotland forward Roddy MacDonald equalised following a corner on the right on 30 minutes. MacDonald won possession at the back post with two Newtonmore defenders in attendance. He moved the ball forward and, with only a quarter-swing, sent the ball past the keeper from a tight angle to make it 1-1.

Kyles took the lead on the stroke of half time. Colin MacDonald battled for the ball with Norman Campbell just on edge of the ‘D’ and, with Campbell falling and losing his stick, the big forward ran in, taking another touch then tucked the ball past the keeper to make it 2-1.

There were no goals in the second half. Kyles keeper John Whyte had an injury scare but was able to run it off and continue in goal.

Kyles have a re-arranged league fixture against Kingussie at The Dell this Saturday as Tayforth have pulled out of their Glasgow Celtic Society Cup tie.
Newtonmore host Glenurquhart in the MacTavish Cup quarter finals.

Caberfeidh 0
Lochaber 3

Lochaber recorded their first league win of the season, beating the division’s shock troops Caberfeidh 3-0 in their 3pm throw-up at Castle Leod.

Ryan MacKay was amongst several Caberfeidh absentees as he began a two-game suspension, whilst Lochaber had full forward John MacKenzie back in their side.

Lochaber took the lead on 26 minutes. After good work from the Lochaber midfield, the ball was played through to John MacKenzie. There was a bit of melee and the ball came out to Shaun Nicholson who scored from 15 yards.
Lochaber’s second was a great individual effort from Shaun Nicolson who finished well from 20 yards.

Caberfeidh had the chance to half the deficit early in the second half when referee Andy MacLean awarded them a penalty but the normally reliable Kevin Bartlett missed from the spot.

John MacKenzie clinched the win a minute from time. A ball from wide was taken down by MacKenzie with his back to goal. The former Newtonmore man turned onto his right hand and put the ball into the bottom corner of the net from 22 yards out.

This was a good ‘old school’, hard fought game with both teams giving no quarter and Lochaber doing enough to deserve the win.

Lovat 2
Glenurquhart 1

Lovat came from behind to beat Glenurquhart 2-1 at Balgate.
James MacPherson scored on 14 minutes to put Glenurquhart 1-0 ahead against his former club.

Marc MacLachlan levelled on 81 minutes and that’s the way it stayed until nine minutes from time when another late Greg Matheson goal made the difference, lifting Lovat to third in the league.

Marine Harvest National Division

Oban Celtic 1
Glasgow Mid Argyll 1

Match of the day in shinty’s second tier was leaders Glasgow Mid Argyll’s trip to play Oban Celtic in a noon throw-up at Mossfield.

Oban Celtic boss Kenny Wotherspoon was back after missing the previous week’s defeat to Beauly. George MacMillan, Neil Carmichael, Kieran Gallacher, Lee Askew, Kieran Carnie and Rory Bruce were all missing. Fulton Ronald returned to great effect, putting in a man of the match performance, as did Iain MacKechnie and Craig MacMillan, who started up front. Daniel MacMillan was on the bench as he’s not fully fit.

GMA travelled north with a full squad for the second successive Saturday.
Oban Celtic took the lead on 22 minutes when a clean ball forward from winger Iain MacKechnie was well won by Andy MacDonald on the by-line. MacDonald cut the ball back to Daniel Madej who slotted home.

Craig MacMillan was fortunate that referee Iain Kennedy let him away with a booking for retaliation five minutes later and MacMillan was immediately substituted by manager Kenny Wotherspoon with Daniel MacMillan taking over.

GMA pressed for an equaliser but Iain MacFarlane in the Celtic goal made some great stops with one particularly fine save seeing him dive to his right to touch the ball round the post.

GMA went back on the attack from the start of the second half and another MacFarlane save with his stick prevented the ball hitting the roof of the net.

Celtic also had chances but failed to test Robert Dunnings in the GMA goal.
GMA eventually got their goal on 55 minutes when Calum McLay dribbled round David Hill as the defender tried to usher the ball out for a goal-hit.

There was a bit of a goalmouth scramble before McLay found the net to make it 1-1.

It was more or less a midfield battle after that and with 38-year–old Andy Hunt on one wing and 37 year old Iain MacKechnie on the other, Oban Celtic proved age didn’t matter as they battled away alongside full centre Ally McKerracher.

After the match, a content Kenny Wotherspoon said: ‘I’d say a draw was a fair result. We’re obviously happy to pick up another point in what is a very competitive national league. We told the boys of the importance of picking up something against GMA so they were well primed.

Being able to pick our strongest squad week-in, week-out would be a bonus as some key players were again missing for us.

‘However the boys that stepped in handled themselves well which is pleasing. Rory Bruce hasn’t played this season. He’s a massive miss for us but we hope to have him back soon. There are no easy games in this league and our heads now turn to our trip to Kilmallie on Saturday.’

Lewis Douglas, Strathglass, gets his block in on Kilmallie’s Ian Robertson. Photograph: Iain Ferguson, The Write Image.

Kilmallie 3
Strathglass 0

Kilmallie go third in the league after beating Strathglass 3-0 at Canal Parks.
Kilmallie’s Innes Blackhall served the second game of a two-match ban.

Ryan Stewart was also missing and Ian Robertson started at full back.
Michael Stokes, Lawrence Jones, Seth Jones and Hamish Myers were amongst the Strathglass absentees.

The game started slowly and despite play flowing from end to end, there was little goalmouth action.

Kilmallie broke the deadlock following a good move on the half hour mark.
Martin Stewart played the ball from the centre line to Michael Rodger. His powerful drive was palmed away by Strathglass keeper Ally McAdams but young Calum MacDougall was quickest to the re-bound and struck the ball into the back of the net to make it 1-0.

Kilmallie stretched their lead on 33 minutes when Scott Douglas was penalised for a double-handed reckless swing inside the ‘D’and referee John Angus Gillies pointed to the penalty spot. Michael Rodger made no mistake, crashing the spot-hit to the top of the net.

Kilmallie started the second half well and Michael Rodger saw two excellent strikes saved by an on-form Ally McAdams.

Kilmallie added a third goal on 65 minutes when a good one-two between Michael Rodger and Calum MacDougall ended with the latter lashing a 15-yard shot into the bottom left hand corner of the goal.

MacDougall was very unlucky not to score a hat-trick goal on 70 minutes after going on a mazy run into the heart of the Strathglass defence, but he eventually hit the ball high over the bar.

Kilmallie claimed for a second penalty on 73 minutes when, with a crowded goal area, the goal judged flagged for an infringement but referee Gillies over-ruled and allowed play to continue with Scott Douglas eventually clearing the ball to safety.

Strathglass introduced their only substitute – Eoghan Stewart – a couple of minutes later and he got himself into a good position but blazed his effort wide.

Kilmallie’s Calum MacDougall had a good game, working tirelessly before being replaced 10 minutes from the end. Jordan McPhee also played very well on the right wing.

Strathglass keeper Ally McAdams made a number of good saves over the 90 minutes. Josh Fraser and Scott Douglas also did their bit in the heart of the Strathglass defence.

Action from the Fort William v Inverness National Division match. Photograph: Abrightside Photography.

Fort William 1
Inverness 0

Fort William go second in the division after beating Inverness 1-0 at An Aird.

Inverness had James MacKenzie free of suspension.

Alexander MacMillan scored the only goal of the game after 22 minutes.

MacMillan made a late run from midfield and when Lachie Shaw sent a long ball to the back post, MacMillan controlled the ball and dribbled into the ‘D’ before slipping it past the keeper.

Inveraray’s Lewis MacNicol and Beauly’s Calum Morrison in a chase for the ball during last Saturday’s National Division game
at the Winterton. Photograph: Stephen Lawson.

Inveraray 2
Beauly 1

Inveraray edged out Beauly 2-1 in their 3pm throw-up at The Winterton
Inveraray’s Allan MacDonald was finally free of his five-match suspension which carried forward from the end of last season.

This wasn’t a match for the purists.

The game’s opening goal came on 41 minutes when the ball was played to Lewis Montgomery around 15 yards from goal and he beat his marker before netting with a low drive.

Beauly’s equaliser came a couple of minutes after the re-start after a spell of pressure. Jack MacDonald was first to react to a long ball up-field and blasted a ferocious shot past Inveraray keeper Scott MacLachlan, who was left beaten by the sheer pace of the ball.

The winner came on 55 minutes when Beauly failed to clear their lines and Lewis Montgomery fired home from 18 yards.

Both keepers – Inveraray’s Scott MacLachlan and Josh Grant for Beauly – made good saves as the outcome hung in the balance until the final whistle.

Marine Harvest North Division 1

Glengarry 1
Newtonmore 5

The top two in Marine Harvest North Division 1 met at Craigard, with the Newtonmore seconds staying top of the table after defeating Glengarry 5-1.

Duncan Gorman gave Newtonmore the lead after nine minutes and player/manager Orsten Gardner made it 2-0 on 17 minutes.

Calum Stewart added a third on 22 minutes and although Nick Dalgety gave Glengarry hope with a 38th minute strike, it wasn’t enough.

Sorley Thomson restored Newtonmore’s three-goal cushion a minute into the second half and the youngster got his second on 76 minutes to make it 5-1.

Newtonmore are now three points clear of second-placed Skye and the sides are due to meet in Portree this Saturday.

Skye Camanachd 6
Glenurquhart 0

The Skye Camanachd colts go second in North 1 after their 6-0 win over the Glenurquhart colts at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Skye took the lead after three minutes with Ross Gordon scoring and, when the ball fell for Gordon on 13 minutes, he got his and Skye’s second.

Martin Pringle fired home a third on 34 minutes to make it 3-0 at the break.
Skye made a quick start to the second half with Stewart Taylor shooting home within a minute of the re-start.

Martin Pringle thumped home his second on 72 minutes after good play from Marcus Scott and a half-turn and shot from substitute Angie MacDonald on 85 minutes rounded off the Skye win. The win means Skye leap-frog Glengarry into second place in the division.

Aberdeen University 0
Fort William 3

Aberdeen University’s sluggish start to the season continued as they lost 3-0 to the Fort William reserves.

The match was originally scheduled for Balgownie but was transferred to Grantown Grammar School with a noon start.

Greg Kelly gave Fort William the lead on three minutes.

Mark Fraser made sure of the outcome as his late goals on 73 and 80 minutes sealed the 3-0 win.

Kingussie 3
Kinlochshiel 3

The Kingussie seconds and the Kinlochshiel seconds drew 3-3 at The Dell.

Kinlochshiel had led 2-0 and 3-1 before being pegged back twice by Kingussie.

Lewis MacVicar, Finlay MacRae and Fraser Reid scored for Kinlochshiel, with a Kevin Thain brace and Liam Borthwick counting for Kingussie.

Marine Harvest South Division 1

Tayforth 1
Lochside Rovers 8

Champions Lochside Rovers secured their biggest win of the season so far, sweeping aside Tayforth 8-1 at Levenhall Links.

Lochside’s Michael MacQueen played with an eye injury which had almost closed one of his eyes. He was pitched at full forward rather than at full centre and this move paid dividends.

Tayforth went in front after two minutes with Brendan Duggan scoring from the left, on the angle. There seemed little danger as Duggan gathered the ball 30 yards from goal but, with the Lochside defence standing off him, he fired the ball into the opposite corner of the net.

Lochside drew level on 11 minutes. Michael MacQueen saw his shot saved with his feet by the home keeper, but Lennon Campbell was quickly in to make it 1-1 from the re-bound.

Lochside didn’t look back after that. Lewis Buchanan put the visitors in front on 15 minutes. Evan MacLellan, back in the Lochside side following a back injury, sent a free-hit forward to Neil MacFarlane who found Lewis Buchanan outside the ‘D’ and he made it 2-1.

Michael MacQueen got his first goal on the stroke of half-time. Another free-hit from the middle of the park found MacQueen one-on-one with his marker and he turned before striking the ball low into the corner of the net from 15 yards out.

Michael MacQueen got his second 10 minutes into the second half. Lewis Buchanan beat a couple of players before setting up MacQueen to score.
Lochside’s tactic of leaving Michael MacQueen isolated at full forward reaped further rewards as MacQueen completed his hat-trick on 68 minutes, taking a brilliant touch from a free-hit which was going wide. He was again one-on-one with his marker and took advantage to net from 15 yards. More good play from Lewis Buchanan set up Michael MacQueen for his fourth on 75 minutes, scoring with another low finish to make it 6-0.
Four minutes later, neat inter-play between Ross Campbell and Lewis Buchanan allowed Michael MacQueen the chance to fire the ball into the top corner of the net from around the penalty spot.

Lewis Buchanan got his second on 84 minutes with a bouncing 30-yard shot.

This was a good win for a young Lochside side with Gareth Evans naming himself on the bench to make up the numbers. Craig Kirkpatrick had a good game, whilst Evan MacLellan did well at centre against Rob Urquhart. Lewis Buchanan and Ross Campbell ran the show at half forward, always getting to the ball first, whilst Michael MacQueen deserves special mention for his five-goal haul.

Lochside are on the road again this Saturday as they head for Taynuilt.

Determination written over the faces of Inveraray’s Neil Campbell and Kilmory’s Bruce Johnston during the South Division One nine-goal thriller. Photograph: Stephen Lawson.

Inveraray 4
Kilmory 5

Kilmory stay top of the division on goal difference after getting past the Inveraray seconds in a nine-goal thriller at The Winterton.

This noon throw-up had it all: nine goals, three red cards and two converted penalties.

Former Kilmory player Rhys Williams got Inveraray off to a perfect start when he fired a rocket into the roof of the net with five minutes played.
Inveraray’s 16-year-old keeper Gregor Mather, playing his first full 90 minutes in South Division 1, had no chance with Alister MacArthur’s equaliser.

Neil Campbell put Inveraray into a 2-1 half-time lead with a well-taken goal on 30 minutes.

Kilmory started the second half the brighter and were awarded a penalty by referee Alex MacVicar on 55 minutes which Alister MacArthur struck well to make it 2-2.

This was Kilmory’s best spell of the game and they soon added two more goals through MacArthur again on 57 minutes and Hal Jones on 67 minutes.
Inveraray gained a man advantage when Kilmory’s Bruce Johnston was sent off for two bookings.

It was Kilmory who scored a fifth on 76 minutes though with Alister MacArthur netting four times for the second successive Saturday.
The match threatened to boil over at times but referee Alex MacVicar handled proceedings well.

Inveraray’s Kieran Kirkhope and Kilmory’s Andrew Cunningham were both sent off following a scuffle.

Inveraray’s John Mackenzie was switched up front for the latter stages and he converted a penalty on 81 minutes after referee MacVicar spotted a ‘kick’ inside the ‘D’.

MacKenzie got his second with a fine back-post strike to make it 5-4 on 90 minutes.

Inveraray pushed hard in injury time but Kilmory’s ten men held on for the win.

Ballachulish 1
Bute 2

Bute only trail league leaders Kilmory and the Kyles Athletic second team on goal difference after they beat Ballachulish 2-1 at The Jubilee Park.
Ballachulish’s Connor MacGregor missed out as he served the second game of a two-match ban.

Thomas Morrison put Bute ahead on 39 minutes, only for Stuart Robertson to level four minutes later, making it 1-1 at the break.

Thomas Morrison got his second on 68 minutes to give the islanders victory.

Taynuilt 1
Kyles Athletic 2

Taynuilt took the lead against the Kyles Athletic second team at Taynuilt Sports Field when Gerry Kilmurray found the net after 37 minutes.

Brandon Wilson drew the Tighnabruaich side level a minute into the second half.

The game’s winning goal came after 55 minutes when Luke Thornton put Kyles ahead.

Kyles’ Christopher Blair was sent off by referee Calum Girvan.

Aberdour 1
Col Glen 1

Aberdour and Col Glen shared the points following a 1-1 draw in their 3pm throw-up at Silversands.

Col Glen’s Connor Kennedy was banned for this one, whilst Col Glen were missing three of their four first choice forwards.

Aberdour created the better early chances and went in front on 22 minutes following a great 25-yard Angus Thorburn shot.

Col Glen capitalised on a defensive lapse to level on 66 minutes, with Neily Mcnaughton getting the goal.

Marine Harvest North Division 2

Caberfeidh 1
Beauly 1

The Caberfeidh second team now only lead the division on goal difference after they came from behind to draw 1-1 with the Beauly second team in their noon throw-up at Castle Leod.

The first half was goal-less but Kieran MacTavish gave Beauly the lead four minutes into the second half.

Caberfeidh levelled on 55 minutes, with Ruairidh MacLeman on target.

Lochcarron 6
Strathspey Camanachd 4

Lochcarron go level on points at the top of the table with the Caberfeidh seconds after they eventually saw off Strathspey Camanachd 6-4 at Battery Park.

Strathspey’s Stuart Sloss missed out as he completed a two-game suspension.

In a match refereed by Graham Cormack, Donald Colville opened the scoring for Strathspey on four minutes.

Matthew Young levelled on 15 minutes and David Bauermeister put Lochcarron ahead a minute later.

Matthew Young got his second on 20 minutes, but Matthew Davis narrowed the deficit to a single goal on the half hour mark.

A Bruce Grant own goal on 24 minutes and a hat-trick strike from Matthew Young on 35 minutes made it 5-2 at half-time.

Strathspey mounted a second half come-back as Conor Aubrey on 55 minutes and Struan Ross on 60 minutes made it 5-4.

However, Matthew Young got his fourth goal of the afternoon on 76 minutes to give Lochcarron a 6-4 victory.

Strathglass 0
Lovat 8

The Lovat colts were runaway 8-0 winners against the Strathglass colts at Cannich.

Cameron MacMillan got Lovat off to a great start with a goal after just a couple of minutes.

Raymond Rennie added a second on 10 minutes, with Graeme MacMillan making it 3-0 on 25 minutes.

Raymond Rennie got his second a couple of minutes later and when referee Jim Barr pointed to the penalty spot on 43 minutes, Duncan Urquhart stepped up to make it 5-0 at the break.

Lovat continued to go further ahead in the second half with Raymond Rennie taking his tally to five goals with further strikes on 67, 74 and 83 minutes.

The win lifts the Balgate side to third in the table.

Boleskine 1
Lochaber 6

The Lochaber seconds only trail Lovat on goal difference after they beat Boleskine 6-1 at Farr.

John Fraser’s Lochaber’s side led 4-0 at the break before extending their advantage in the second half.

Lachlan Campbell and Pat Toal both scored twice for Lochaber with Max Campbell and Ben Delaney getting the others.

Paul Bowman countered for Boleskine.

Inverness 0
Kilmallie 1

The Kilmallie colts picked up their first points of the season when they beat the Inverness colts 1-0 at the Bught Park.

This was only the Kilmallie colts’ second game of the season – they had previously lost to the Caberfeidh colts – and Stuart Ross served a one-match ban for his red card in that match.

Peter McIntyre scored the goal that made the difference after seven minutes.

The sides remain in the bottom two positions in the division.

Marine Harvest South Division 2

Glasgow Mid Argyll 1
Strachur 1

League leaders Strachur came from behind to draw 1-1 with the Glasgow Mid Argyll reserves at Yoker.

Ross Fraser got GMA off to a great start with a goal after four minutes.
However, Iain MacLennan levelled on 28 minutes to keep Strachur top of the division.

Aberdour 1
Glenorchy 2

Glenorchy go second after they beat the Aberdour colts 2-1 in their noon throw-up at Silversands. Allan MacKechnie gave Glenorchy the lead on 15 minutes but Chris Bowerman made it 1-1 on 25 minutes.

Andy MacLean put Glenorchy back in front five minutes later and that’s the way it stayed until the end.

Glenorchy were just that more bit clinical in front of goal and that was enough to give them the edge and both points.

Bute v
Oban Celtic W/O

After having their game at Ganavan rescheduled last weekend, the Bute second team and the Oban Celtic second team were to meet at The Meadows.

However, an unplayable field led to a fixture reversal to Ganavan.
In the end, the Bute seconds were unable to field a team so Oban Celtic were awarded the points.

Glasgow Celtic Society Celtic Cup – quarter finals

The big guns join the Glasgow Celtic Society at the second round stage with the ties taking place on Saturday.

Oban Camanachd should be too strong for Ballachulish at Mossfield, even without the suspended Daniel Sloss and the unavailable Chrissie MacMillan.
Inveraray, who lost out to Oban Camanachd in last year’s semi-finals, travel to play lower league Col Glen.

Glasgow Mid Argyll will be tested against Bute at The Meadows. GMA were knocked out in last year’s semi-finals by eventual winners Kyles Athletic.
Holders Kyles Athletic go straight through to the semi-finals though as Tayforth, who play two divisions below, have forfeited the tie. MacTavish Cup – quarter finals

The top four teams have also been kept apart in the MacTavish Cup second round ties which take place this Saturday, April 21.

Holders Newtonmore welcome Glenurquhart to The Eilan. The sides met at Blairbeg on league duty a fortnight ago when, despite falling a goal behind early in the game, Newtonmore ran out 5-1 winners. Glenurquhart were MacTavish winners in 2015 when they beat Newtonmore in the final.

However, Newtonmore lifted the trophy in the next two seasons and are going for three-in-a-row.

Kinlochshiel play Lochaber at Kirkton, looking to go one better that last year’s semi-final defeat to Kilmallie. The sides met in the league just over a week ago when Lochaber tested Kinlochshiel but Johnston Gill’s side ran out 4-1 victors.

Skye Camanachd face Lovat at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree. The sides met in the league at the same venue on the second week of the season. Skye took the lead in that game but Lovat eventually won 4-1. Lovat, were MacTavish winners in 2013 and 2014 but you have to go back to the inaugural MacTavish Final in 1898 for Skye’s only success.

Fort William are the only side from outwith shinty’s top flight to reach the last-eight of the competition and they play Caberfeidh at An Aird. The sides battled it out for the second promotion spot in last year’s National Division; a race which went right to the wire before Caberfeidh progressed.

Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup – second round draw

The draw for the Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup second round is now clearer following the recent first round ties.

The only first round tie still to take place is the meeting between the Kilmallie and Lochaber second teams, with the tie now scheduled for the end of the month.

Second round:
Bute v Skye Camanachd
Caberfeidh v Kingussie
Lovat v Strachur
Kilmallie/Lochaber v Beauly
Lochcarron v Fort William
Lochside Rov v Kyles Athletic
Newtonmore v Glenurquhart
Strathglass v Inveraray

The second round ties will be played on Saturday May 5.

2018 Fraser MacPhee Tournament

The 2018 Fraser MacPhee primary school age shinty tournament will take place at An Aird, Fort William, on Sunday June 3.

This is always a popular and competitive event for players, family and spectators and a great turnout is assured.

As well as a trophy and medals up for grabs, there will be a skills station, a speed gun and hitting competition and hot food on offer.

Any interested clubs should contact Catriona MacPhee to register their team at

Camanachd Association plea for new referees

The Camanachd Association has issued a plea for new shinty referees.

There have been just enough referees to cover the matches played so far this season. However, as the holiday period approaches, there is a danger there won’t be enough referees to cover the weekly scheduled fixtures.

Former players are particularly encouraged to come forward and full training is provided.

Referees receive match fee and travel expenses for each match they officiate.

Anyone interested should contact Astie Cameron at the Camanachd Association Offices.