Want to read more?
We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards
Did you know?
- New bags for cans and plastic recycling are now available from the council. Please note both bags are now clear but we still need to separate the plastic from the tins/cans. Please fill the bag up and tie them securely before placing on top of your cardboard bin to be collected. Tying them up means plastics/cans don’t contaminate the paper/card in the recycling lorry!
- The recycling sites at Craignure, Fionnphort and Tobermory are for any excess recycling residents can’t fit in their own recycling bins. Please remove all glass, plastics, tin/cans and paper from plastic carrier bags before placing them in the bin. The carrier bags cannot be recycled and contaminate the bin.
- You can also order more recycling bins for your home, from the council, free of charge.
- Leaving items such as old washing machines at the recycling points is actually illegal fly tipping. So what should you do with your bulky items? Please take them to Glengorm Amenities Centre where they can be stored for recycling, free of charge. Or contact the council to arrange a pick up. The council charges for this service, but to save money why not coordinate a van load with your friends and neighbours?
- All businesses are now required by law to separate the glass, metals, plastics, paper and card from the rest of their waste for collection. So what are the options for business owners? A collection can be arranged with the council or a punch card purchased from the council for you to transport and dispose of your recyclable materials, at the Glengorm Civic Amenity Centre.
- Currently aluminium foil and trays CANNOT be recycled here, so please DO NOT put them in with your cans/tins.
- All plastic food pots, trays, cartons (including coloured trays and Tetrapaks) CAN now be recycled with our plastics.
So don’t let a good thing go to waste!
Your efforts really do make a big difference!
Thank you for recycling!
For full details (in a printable format) about how, what and where to recycle visit our website: www.mict.co.uk/projects-services/more-mess-waste-less/
Or contact Siân : email@example.com 01680 812904