Green Machine suffer heavy defeat in wintry East Kilbride

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

A healthy Oban Lorne squad boasting 21 players travelled to the central belt on Saturday to take on East Kilbride RFC for the second time this season.

The teams met at Glencruitten in October with East Kilbride battling out a narrow 10-8 win in a very physical game.

Oban were hoping for some much-needed points going into the game with their lowly league position causing concern for the club, particularly with the bottom two teams Irvine and Helensburgh due to meet.

Fortunately, Helensburgh failed to raise a side for Saturday’s league fixture meaning neither team picked up any points.

Coach Corrie Louw handed a start to Jamie Bate at outside centre, allowing captain Craig Wright to move onto the wing. Apart from that it was a fairly settled starting XV that took to the field. With a strong wind and wintry conditions against them, Oban did well to hold the home side out for the first 10 minutes of the game. Eventually East Kilbride opened the scoring though with a try from a lineout drive close to the line to take a 5-0 lead.

Oban could not maintain possession and struggled at the set piece with the scrum, in particular, being dominant for East Kilbride’s powerful pack.

The try count opened up for the hosts as they played the conditions well and raced into a convincing 38-0 halftime lead – a huge disappointment for the Oban side who were hopeful of their chances going into the match.

Half time seemed to be a welcome break for Oban Lorne who came out firing in the second half and dominated the first 10 minutes.

After a series of penalties was awarded, Oban found themselves camped inside the East Kilbride half. A quickly taken penalty was cross kicked by stand off Iwan Rhys Roberts and touched down by Hooker Radostin Maksimov who continued his impressive scoring record.

This, however, was as good as things got for the men in green as the hosts ran in a further four second half tries to run out 62-5 winners.
East Kilbride have been on a great run of form recently and find themselves with an outside chance of promotion, along with Carrick, Garnock and Allan Glens.

Oban Lorne remain tenth in the league after Saturday’s game and have another away journey this Saturday as they visit third-placed Garnock. Garnock recorded a 25-19 win at Glencruitten in the first game of the season. Kick-off 3pm.

The next home fixture for Oban Lorne is a crucial encounter against ninth-placed Cambuslang on Saturday February 10, kick off 3pm.

Oban Lorne’s Glencruitten clubhouse will be open for this Saturday’s opening Nat West 6 Nations fixture between Wales and Scotland. Kick off is at 2.15pm with everyone welcome to come along.