Man dies after being found in Loch Creran

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Emergency services were rushed to Loch Creran on Sunday January 7 to aid a man found in the water at Loch Creran.

The man, who was working on oyster trellises, was found in the loch just north of Oban after the alarm was raised but later died. He has since been named as Hugo Vajk, boss of Caledonian Oyster Co Ltd, which he ran with his wife Judith.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said today: ‘At 4.40pm yesterday police were alerted to a report of a man in the water at Loch Creran, near Benderloch. A 62-year-old man was airlifted to Oban hospital where he later died. Inquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances of the incident.’

Oban RNLI lifeboat was launched at 4.18pm after the UK Coastguard requested its assistance for the first time this year to respond to reports of a person in the water.

The lifeboat left her temporary berth by 4.35pm proceeding to Loch Creran at best speed. Oban’s Coastguard Rescue Team and the Coastguard’s Prestwick-based rescue helicopter were also tasked.

As the lifeboat proceeded the UK Coastguard broadcast a mayday relay to request the assistance of any other vessels also in the area.

The volunteer crew arrived on scene shortly after 5pm. The casualty was quickly located with help from the first informant on shore, and was recovered from the water by the lifeboat crew soon after.

The lifeboat then liaised with the rescue helicopter to drop a winchman onboard, who then lifted the casualty on to the helicopter for transfer to hospital.

Oban lifeboat then departed the scene, arriving back at her temporary berth at the transit marina by 5.57pm.