Saints Under-16s secure double

Oban Saints Under-16s pictured with the League Cup and league championship trophies which were both presented to the team at Millburn Park after the League Cup final victory.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

OBAN Saints under-16s travelled to Millburn Park, Alexandria, recently to take on old rivals Ardencaple for their second final in as many weeks in the 2001s League Cup final.
After the disappointment of the previous week’s last-minute goal against their older club mates, expectations were high for the 16s to put that behind them and give the large travelling crowd a good performance.
Unfortunately, the first half went rather disappointingly for all as, despite having the majority of possession, Saints too often squandered chances and didn’t make the most of their opportunities.
Although never looking in danger, the overall performance was somewhat disappointing for the supporters and coaches.
A frank and honest half-time team talk and shuffling of positions saw the Oban lads come out fired up and it wasn’t long before top scorer Keir MacLean fired Saints into the lead.
A few minutes later, an excellent cross from MacLean was met by Kenneth Black at the back post to make it 2-0.
Saints were now playing at the level expected by the supporters and were moving the ball around more freely which nearly led to a third goal by Sol Smith.
However, as the ball was heading across the line, substitute Ben Smith helped it along after being in an offside position and the ‘goal’ correctly chalked off.
The Oban side were soon rewarded with goal number three when lively sub Mossman beat the Ardencaple keeper.
With Saints on track to win their first League Cup at their third attempt, the coaches had the luxury of being able to use all the players in the 16-man squad.
All the players now looked eager to get on the ball and a fine run down the left side and cross by Black was met by Ben Smith to head home goal number four.
After the final whistle, captain Kenneth Black was presented the League Cup.
The boys were also presented with the league championship trophy which they won a few weeks ago.
Unfortunately, the 2001s missed out on a silverware treble when they lost in the final of the Central Regional Cup last Sunday, going down 5-1 to the impressive Syngenta Juveniles at Ochilview Park. Cameron Kerr scored Saints’ goal.