Doors open on second Buzz venue

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic. The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?

 

Subscribe Now

 

The Buzz Project officially launched a second venue on Fort William High Street on Saturday March 18.

Studio two was opened by newly-appointed manager Bronwyn Strachan, who was herself greatly helped by the youth project, which aims to help young people aged between 14 and 25 fulfil their potential and overcome personal barriers through music.

Anita Nicholls, a Buzz Project trustee and fundraiser, said: ‘Studio two is a place where young people can get work experience in a music venue, learning skills and building confidence.

‘We are changing the lives of young people significantly.’
In a short speech before she cut the ribbon, Bronwyn, 20, said: ‘Thank you to the Buzz Project for being here for me and other people.

‘It’s totally amazing and I hope we continue to make memories here. Thanks for helping me through dark times and being there.’

Bronwyn told The Oban Times how she first heard about the Buzz project when she was in high school.

‘I was in fifth or sixth year. I thought it was strange at first but I came to the Buzz Project’s bus. It was my dream to play violin.’
With the help of Simon Nicholls, a youth worker and violin maker, this dream became a reality.

‘I’m so happy about playing violin,’ she said. ‘I had a lot of issues and the project was a really good way to express myself and deal with them. I’ve had great memories here and today is one of them.’

Bronwyn had been volunteering with the project, which also has a studio on the Blar Mhor estate, when the manager’s position came up and she said she is ‘honoured’ to have been given the job.

The ribbon cutting was followed by a music workshop led by Dave Scott-Morgan, former lead guitarist of the Electric Light Orchestra (ELO), who also gave a performance with his new band ‘Morganisation’ that evening to round off the launch day.

Morganisation members Alan Pianosmith, Mandy Scott-Morgan and Dave Scott-Morgan. Abrightside Photography f12 buzz ELO 1no
Morganisation members Alan Pianosmith, Mandy Scott-Morgan and Dave Scott-Morgan. Photograph: Abrightside Photography

Simon Nicholls has toured with ELO so he reached out to the guitarist and his new band.

Some of the young people involved in the project helped set up the launch night concert, doing the lighting and the PA system.

Mr Scott-Morgan said of the Buzz Project: ‘It’s really well organised and has great presentation.

‘It’s a really good standard, especially with the youth work.

‘It’s great to come and see what’s going on and it’s great that they have the bus to get to remote places as well.’

The concert, in which Dave and his band played a mixture of their new songs and some ELO classics, was sold out.