Convincing win for Oban Ladies

Ellie MacNiven makes a break for the Grangemouth line. Photograph: Kevin McGlynn

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Oban Lorne Ladies 38
Grangemouth ladies 5
BT Women’s National League 2

The opening match for the Green Army in 2017 brought Grangemouth Ladies to a dreich Glencruitten in Oban.
The home team were unable to field a full team this week due to some existing injuries and absent players, so the game began with 13 players for each side.
This left Grangemouth with the benefit of some subs for the match. Oban did well to maintain these numbers for the entirety of the match, with ladies rising to the challenge of playing out of position, most notably two forwards on the wings.
The game started well for the ladies in green, who had previously drawn 17-17 with Grangemouth in their away fixture at the start of the season.
The local ladies made sure they put their training into practice, making their mark on the opposition quickly and progressing up the pitch towards the try line.
Unfortunately, after a very near miss for Oban, things began to unravel as Grangemouth kicked the ball up the pitch for a game of chase, with Oban just unable to get hands on the ball first as it was kicked over their tryline and touched down by a Grangemouth player. A missed conversion brought the opening score to 0-5 for the visiting team.
Oban took their mistakes on board and fought back quickly. Clever running and a timely off­load by prop Ellie MacNiven allowed young scrum half Lucy Stewart to dive over the line in the left corner, in just her second senior game, to open Oban Ladies’ score.
The game continued in this thread, with Oban maintaining a high proportion of possession. Tries under the post came for both centre Kirsty Sinclair and, once again, Stewart, as well as a try for recent addition to the team Jen Farthing on the right wing, all successfully converted by MacNiven. Sinclair scored a second try later in the game to take the score to 31-5.
The final try in the match came for Georgia Mitchell, a newcomer to the game this season, with all of the girls playing well and gelling together as a team to implement what they have been coached to do.
This was particularly impressive given that they have only recently returned from a notably long break over the festive period. Unfortunately, the game had to be called to halt after only 55 minutes due to a suspected back injury to one of the Grangemouth players who required paramedic treatment on the pitch. With the game unable to carry on and no alternative pitch available due to flooding, everyone came to the agreement that victory would be awarded to the Oban Ladies, due to the convincing lead they had managed to rack up during the match.
The ladies now sit six points clear at the top of the BT Women’s National League Division 2, above their closest rivals, Howe of Fife. Their next league game will be away to Lismore on February 12, before returning to Oban of February 19 when they take on Annan.
Oban Ladies train on a Tuesday and Thursday at 6pm at Glencruitten.