Volunteers RNLI called to six incidents

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available with a  subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.  In addition, your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Just want to read one issue? No problem you can subscribe for just one week (or longer if you wish).

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

F34 Kyle RNLI 1no

VOLUNTEERS for a lifeboat in Kyle continued their busy week having attended six rescues in six days, writes senior reporter Monica Gibson.
Kyle of Lachalsh RNLI came to the aid of a mother and child near Broadford last Saturday who were cut off by the tide whilst walking on the Ashaig coastline. The lifeboat launched at 6.30pm at the request of Stornoway Coastguard after the Dutch tourists got stuck on a small island between Ashaig and Broadford.
After a search of the many small islands on that stretch, the family were found but the rocks and shallow waters in that area meant it was a while before they could be reached by the crew.
A Kyle RNLI spokesman said: ‘There were very happy to see us as they were both beginning to get very cold. They had been walking along the coast and were caught by the speed of the incoming tide which is very quick in that area.’
This rescue followed a spate of incidents last week as reported by The Oban Times and a late night call out on Friday August 19 when the lifeboat responded to reports of a group who had got into difficulty near Glenelg.
The crew were paged at 10.19pm after a member of the public reported seeing two adults and a child in a canoe which had got caught up in the strong tidal currents.
After finding the group, the crew confirmed that none of them were injured, but the low dropping tide made the situation difficult.
As the casualties were very disorientated and did not know the area, the lifeboat crew decided to drop one of the crew members at the Glenelg ferry pier to walk the half mile over the hill to reach the stranded people.
Speaking of this incident, a Kyle RNLI spokesperson said: ‘The current swept them away from the shore but they were extremely lucky and managed to reach the part of the coast where they were found. They were trying to canoe from Glenelg village back to where they were camping, but due to it getting dark they became disorientated and paddled into the strong tidal flow at the exit to the narrows, which at times can flow at a speed of eight knots.’